Anthony Wright needs surgery... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anthony Wright needs surgery...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anthony Wright needs surgery...

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu May 20, 2004 2:00 pm

What a devastating blow to fantasy players everywhere...Boller better pan out!

Yahoo! Sports wrote:OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Baltimore Ravens (news) backup quarterback Anthony Wright needs surgery on his sore right shoulder, a procedure that could force him to miss most of the season.

Wright said the injury occurred last November, during a game against the Seattle Seahawks (news) in which he threw for 319 yards and four touchdowns in leading the Ravens to an overtime victory.

Wright said he tore his labrum. He dressed for the four-day passing camp that concluded Thursday, but was limited in his activity.

"I haven't decided what I'm going to do right now," Wright said. "Right now, what we're looking at is arthroscopic surgery. The worst-case scenario is somewhere between four to six months."

Wright was expected to begin the season as the backup to Kyle Boller. In the same role last season, Wright replaced an injured Boller and led the Ravens to the playoffs by going 5-2 as a starter over the last seven regular-season games.

Wright was 94-for-178 for 1,119 yards and nine touchdowns in 2003. He had eight interceptions.

With Wright out, the two quarterbacks behind Boller are rookies — sixth-round draft pick Josh Harris and undrafted free agent Brian Gaither.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Anthony Wright needs surgery...

Postby awwchrist » Thu May 20, 2004 2:04 pm

Yahoo! Sports wrote:
Wright said the injury occurred last November, during a game against the Seattle Seahawks (news) in which he threw for 319 yards and four touchdowns in leading the Ravens to an overtime victory.

SERVES HIM RIGHT

jk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Anthony Wright needs surgery...

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu May 20, 2004 3:09 pm

awwchrist wrote:
Yahoo! Sports wrote:

SERVES HIM RIGHT

jk

LOL....

How do y'all think this affects the fantasy values of Darling and KJ?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby proKrastinate » Thu May 20, 2004 6:46 pm

why does someone wait this long to start thinking surgery? maybe im ignorant, and if so, please inform me as to why this would take so long to decice upon.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Canacuna » Fri May 21, 2004 12:21 am

Anthony Wright is injured?! My fantasy team is in ruins now!
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Azrael » Fri May 21, 2004 12:36 am

proKrastinate wrote:why does someone wait this long to start thinking surgery? maybe im ignorant, and if so, please inform me as to why this would take so long to decice upon.

It's called I don't feel like doing anything in the off season and then when it comes time to practice I'll get surgery so I can keep doing nothing.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby slowkidz » Fri May 21, 2004 7:31 am

just opens up the door for Collins, IMO...and others too...

Collins may fly as Raven

Kerry Collins has an offer from the Raiders and he could soon be headed to Oakland. But now he has something else to think about: a reunion with former Giants coach Jim Fassel, now a consultant in Baltimore, where he would play behind Kyle Boller.
The Ravens are a late entry in the Collins Derby following the news that backup quarterback Anthony Wright will undergo shoulder surgery today for a torn labrum that could keep him out the entire season.

Oakland is still the strong favorite to get Collins. But now, at the very least, he may have a choice: Go to Oakland and start, where his signing for modest dollars for a No. 1 QB would push out Rich Gannon after June 1. Gannon, the 2002 MVP, is 38, making $7 million and is coming off shoulder surgery. Or, Collins could go to Baltimore as a backup for a year, then be the top free agent quarterback on the market next March with a chance at a lucrative long-term contract.

By the time the Giants cut Collins the week after the draft when he refused to restructure his contract once they drafted Eli Manning, his options were limited.

The Ravens are commited to Boller, their No. 1 pick in 2003, as their starter. And they had been reluctant to pursue Collins because they didn't want a quarterback controversy and were satisfied with Wright, who played well at times last season. But with the possibility Wright is out for the year, and no other veteran QBs on the roster, the Ravens are expected to make a run at Collins.

Originally published on May 21, 2004
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby NittanyLions » Fri May 21, 2004 2:56 pm

I dont want to have to beat him up as a Raven. Not a bad idea to sign him though. Wright is a big blow though ;-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk