Barber: A Little Off the Top? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Barber: A Little Off the Top?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Barber: A Little Off the Top?

Postby slowkidz » Fri May 21, 2004 7:13 am

ProFootballTalk wrote:BARBER NEXT BUC TO TAKE CUT?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/

Word around the league is that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have asked cornerback Ronde Barber to take a pay cut.

The request, we're told, isn't going over well with Barber, a long-time cog in the team's Cover 2 scheme.

But new G.M. Bruce Allen has made it known through the handling of mainstays Warren Sapp and John Lynch that there are no sacred cows in Tampa as he and coach Jon Gruden try to re-tool a roster built by former G.M. Rich McKay.

The money that Barber is asked to cough up could be used to help address the demands of receiver Keenan McCardell, who is boycotting voluntary workouts due to displeasure over his contract.

We haven't heard whether the Bucs will bounce Barber if he refuses to reduce his pay, and our guess is that there would be a high demand for the 29-year-old's services in other NFL cities. The most intriguing possibility, of course, would be the Giants, where Ronde's identical twin brother, Tiki, is the starting tailback.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mig28 » Fri May 21, 2004 7:23 am

I've been surprised by the roster turnover in T.B. this off-season...Sapp wasn't any big shocker, but Lynch, and now possibly Barber?
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can." - Vince Lombardi
mig28
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Buckychudd » Fri May 21, 2004 7:35 am

Moving further away from what won them the SB.

Only goes to show that Gruden's Superbowl victory was a direct result of the team that Dungy left him.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby NittanyLions » Fri May 21, 2004 2:49 pm

Thatd be great if the steelers picked him up. But wow this would kill TB, I am NOT drafting their defense this year !+)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dreadpaul » Fri May 21, 2004 5:20 pm

If Barber left TB... there are always teams who need decent CBs. The question is who needs one NOW and has the salary cap room to get him?

On 4/22, the Steelers only had $326,000 available - so I doubt he'd go there.

There are 4 teams with lots of salary cap room and a good chance at the SB that I see as potential buyers of Barber's services.

Vikings - $13.5 million available
Chiefs - $7.2 million available
Seahawks - $5.1 million available

But if I had to bet on where Barber would end up if he left TB... I'd have to go with the Philadelphia Eagles. They have $10.4 million left to spend. They've already signed Owens and Kearse. They've lost three straight NFC championships. They just lost both starting CBs (Taylor to the Seahawks, Vincent to the Bills).
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MCG321 » Fri May 21, 2004 6:36 pm

I sure wouldn't mind Ronde as an Eagle. Bucs sure have had an interesting, perhaps questionable, offseason.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Fri May 21, 2004 6:52 pm

steelers will be clearing cap room come june 1st, but i don't think barber will end up there. my guess is that he stays in TB.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby MCG321 » Fri May 21, 2004 6:56 pm

I see McKenzie ending up in Pitt, with Burress going to GB.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Fri May 21, 2004 7:08 pm

Buckychudd wrote:Moving further away from what won them the SB.

Only goes to show that Gruden's Superbowl victory was a direct result of the team that Dungy left him.

I agree with you about TB, but OAK's appearance was a result of Gruden. I do think that the total domination in the game was a result of Gruden knowing and understanding every aspect of OAK's game that year.

If I were Gruden I would want my 'own kind' of guys in there too. He is a helluva coach, and should definitely succeed.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk