Is anyone a bit gunshy about Priest Holmes??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is anyone a bit gunshy about Priest Holmes???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Gilstrap11 » Fri May 21, 2004 9:26 am

I felt a little gunshy last year,because all the talk about Priest coming back from his sugery,and look what he did. I won't be like that this season.
Gilstrap11
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan5328 » Fri May 21, 2004 9:59 am

The only other player I would take before him would be Tomlinson. If I got nervous, I could always trade him to one of the salivating guys in my league for probably more value then I would have got if I passed on him.
Dan5328
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Poobah » Fri May 21, 2004 10:14 am

Nope
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby DUKE » Fri May 21, 2004 10:15 am

Dan5328 wrote:The only other player I would take before him would be Tomlinson. If I got nervous, I could always trade him to one of the salivating guys in my league for probably more value then I would have got if I passed on him.

exactly ;-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Homeless » Fri May 21, 2004 10:15 am

If he gets injured or fails to produce this year, it would just be bad luck (That could happen to anyone) as it stands now he is a top 2 pick.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby SteveTaskerintheHall » Fri May 21, 2004 10:58 am

It is obviously bad luck if people get injured, but at his age is there more of a probability for injury?

I think you need to weigh going with Priest and the potential for him scoring huge, with the possible increased chance that he will have durability issues more this year, versus going with a younger premier back. Younger backs do not traditionally have durability and production declines as a back that is thirty or over. It is something to think about.
The Buffalo Bills will circle the wagons in 2004!
SteveTaskerintheHall
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby ferris182 » Fri May 21, 2004 11:22 am

Gunslinger wrote:Priest hasn't had the mileage that most 30 year old starting backs have.

Absolutely right.

Holmes was not a starter immediately when he entered into the NFL. He bounced around a little with Baltimore, and lost his job to Ja Lewis.

Then he finally broke out w/ KC 3 yrs ago.
ferris182
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SteveTaskerintheHall » Fri May 21, 2004 11:46 am

That doesn't mean that his body can withstand injury like a 24-26 year old and he already has had one serious injury in his three year career.
The Buffalo Bills will circle the wagons in 2004!
SteveTaskerintheHall
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Fri May 21, 2004 12:12 pm

Last year I was a little gunshy about Priest. I had decided to take LT instead of him if I had the choice. I ended up with #1 pick in one of my leagues, and when it came to it I just couldnt pass up his potential. Boy was I glad I took Priest despite my ocncerns.

Now sure theres also just as likely to be opposite stories about other players (Ricky Williams anyone?), however 2 major factos that lessen my concerns are as follows:

1: If you look at last year, he hardly ever played past the 3rd quarter. Can you imagine how ridiculous his stats would've been had he not sat on the bench that often.

2: While age is always going to factor in, Vermeil seems to have a good system in place to keep his star player from breaking down during the season. Priest has 2 excellent backups who spell him frequently. The offensive coordinator seems far more concerned about over-using Priest than say the meatgrinding machine called Denver.

Yeah, if he scores half as often he's top tier, but there would be better. But that kind of drop-off? I think not. Pencil him in for another 20+ TDs this season.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dreadpaul » Fri May 21, 2004 5:27 pm

Are we nervous about taking Priest? Heck yes! Do we take him #1 anyway? Usually. If you don't take him, the potential downside of watching him have another huge year and knowing that he could have been yours is so much greater than any other alternative, you almost have to pick him up whenever you can.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk