FLF - One Expansion Slot Remaining! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Classifieds

FLF - One Expansion Slot Remaining!

Moderator: Football Moderators

FLF - One Expansion Slot Remaining!

Postby emullarky » Tue May 25, 2004 9:34 am

;-D

The FLF has been around for over ten years. We started as a neighborhood league involving friends. When I went off to college, I brought the league to the internet and opened it up to people all over the continent. Now we have been on the internet for eight years.

The basics of the FLF have remained basically the same over the course of its history. As a semi-keeper league, owners returning each year are allowed to retain up tp three players from their roster from the previous year. It makes things quite interesting and adds some legacy. For example, the Warhawks have had Marshall Faulk on their team for many years, because they keep retaining him year-after-year! To make up for these keepers, expansion teams get extra draft picks in each of the third, sixth, and ninth rounds. It may put them at a slight disadvantage, but it certainly gives some incentive to stay in the league at least a couple of years.

If you have any questions about scoring or other league rules, go to http://www.flf2000.com and log-in using the password 'guest04'. If there is anything that you have a question about that you cannot find the answer to, please don't hesitate to ask.

There is a $25 enterance fee. A small part of that is used for our league hosting service with RTsports.com. The rest goes towards cash prizes awarded to fist, second, and third place, and to the team with the league MVP.

So, the next step would be to let me know if you are interested and have me answer any questions you still have. There is only ONE spot remaining and several people have let me know that they might be interested so move quickly.

Thanks,
Eric Mullarky
http://www.flf2000.com
emullarky
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby emullarky » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:30 am

Bump

We're still looking for one new owner.

Eric Mullarky
http://www.flf2000.com
emullarky
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby FF Newbie » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:35 am

A slight disadvantage? Even if you gave them 3 extra picks in the FIRST ROUND, they would still be at a HUGE disadvantage. Since every team keeps 3, those picks are really 6th, 9th, and 12th rounders. Basically, an expansion team would have as their three keepers something along the lines of Chris Chambers, Onterrio Smith, and Jake Plummer as opposed to something like LT, Holt, and Manning or Portis, Ward, and Vick.

I always get a good laugh out of people who come on here trying to get people to pay into a money league starting out with this kind of a disadvantage. Even a very good fantasy manager will take AT LEAST 2-3 years to catch up, so they'd really just be throwing their money away.

If you want to make it fair, have an expansion draft where each team protects one player from their team, then the expansion team chooses one unprotected player from any team. Each team then protects one more player and the expansion team chooses again and so on. The expansion team gets the first pick in the regular draft and teams who lose a player to the expansion team get the 2-4 draft spots. After a team loses one player in the expansion draft, the expansion team cannot choose a second player off the same team.

In this scenario, the expansion team is still at a SIGNIFICANT disadvantage (It's like having the last pick in each of the first three rounds), but it's not nearly as lopsided as what you are suggesting, which is utterly ridiculous. Short of this, stick with your plan and let someone play free for the first three years.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby emullarky » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:54 am

I am sorry you feel that way, but I do agree with your point.

However, it always seems that the real difference maker in the FLF has who you pick-up via waivers during the season rather than who you draft. Our league rules are such that the worst teams get first shot at free agents, evening out the playing field a little for expansion teams. Expansion teams have done well in our league in the past based off of sleepers they pick up in the draft and some awesome in-season pick-ups.

Also, some people like the challenge of coming in with a disadvantage. I can see that you would not be one of those people. We don't like babies in the FLF and you would not fit. Our league does only require a $25 investment, not hundreds of dollars that other leagues ask for.
emullarky
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby nebbie2004 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:52 pm

emullarky wrote:Our league does only require a $25 investment, not hundreds of dollars that other leagues ask for.

OH, AND $2 PER WAIVER PICKUP AFTER THE FIRST 4 (this could add up, i was gonna join before i saw this.)
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby emullarky » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:54 pm

How many hamburgers would you have to flip to get $2?
emullarky
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Flux » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:04 pm

This is an expansion from 6 to 12 teams and youre not doing a redraft? WTF, so basically you and the 5 of your friends get to have good players while screwing over everyone else?

But I guess to each their own
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby emullarky » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:40 pm

And I bet you never even checked to see what players are available to the expansion teams in the draft...
All of the players off of the six teams not returning will be available to expansion teams first in the draft, including: Holmes, Tomlinson, Harrison, Dillon, Jamal Lewis, Culpepper, Manning, Portis, McNair, Vanderjagt, Holt, etc.

Believe me, I would prefer to have some of those players instead of the ones I was able to keep.

So stop complaining if you are not man enough to compete in our league and let the real men step up. Thanks.
emullarky
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Flux » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:07 pm

emullarky wrote:And I bet you never even checked to see what players are available to the expansion teams in the draft...
All of the players off of the six teams not returning will be available to expansion teams first in the draft, including: Holmes, Tomlinson, Harrison, Dillon, Jamal Lewis, Culpepper, Manning, Portis, McNair, Vanderjagt, Holt, etc.

Believe me, I would prefer to have some of those players instead of the ones I was able to keep.

So stop complaining if you are not man enough to compete in our league and let the real men step up. Thanks.

You yourself dropped J Lewis, so you actually COULD have kept him.

I didnt want to bring up who people were keeping (and yes I did check), b/c quite frankly, a lot of those are sad picks and I didnt feel like getting into that. But now that you mention it, yes there are some big names that will go back into the draft, but its not like the new teams joining the league will get first crack at them. You give them extra 3rd, 6th, and 9th rd picks, which really equate to 6th, 9th, and 12th rd picks. So really whats going to happen is, that everyone who was in the league before will essentially have 4 stud players, and the new teams will have only 1. Im sure there will be some rule that also makes them pick last in a non-snake draft format.

I honestly just cant see why you wouldnt do a complete redraft when you double the size of your league, I guess you arent "man enough" to start from scratch, or you just prefer to take peoples money unfairly. This to me is a big scam.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby emullarky » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:18 pm

If you are scared of competition, stay away. It is that easy.

Why complain about something when you absolutely had no desire to join anyways? What does it matter to you what we do in our league? People who want the challenge will join. Those who are not interested will ignore me. Those who are babies will complain. I can already tell which one you are.

First and foremost, I am looking after the wellfare of those who stay in the league year-in and year-out. Their loyalty must be rewarded. I do that by allowing them to keep three players. Expansion teams are at a disadvantage. I admitted that. But it is not as much of a disadvantage as you make it out to be. After proving that they have a desire to stay in the league long-term, I will look after the expansion teams too.
emullarky
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Classifieds