Official Definition of "Sleeper?" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Official Definition of "Sleeper?"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Official Definition of "Sleeper?"

Postby The Lung » Wed May 26, 2004 7:33 pm

As everyone weighs in with their sleeper picks for next season, can we define the term first?

Is it anyone who is not expected to be in the top 20 of their respective position but garners results of a top 20 player?

Or someone who will achieve results that would equate to being selected at least three rounds sooner than they actually were, if the draft were to be held again at the end of the year?

How about: a football player who will emerge from the ranks of the (at least relatively) obscure and exceed the general fantasy football population's expectations of him?
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballfreak449 » Wed May 26, 2004 8:09 pm

A sleeper is someone who is better than the spot where they are taken. For example, Marshall Faulk could be a sleeper this year if he falls into the second round, as he will in most drafts. Thats just my theory on sleepers.
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby Shatner8 » Wed May 26, 2004 8:10 pm

footballfreak449 wrote:A sleeper is someone who is better than the spot where they are taken. For example, Marshall Faulk could be a sleeper this year if he falls into the second round, as he will in most drafts. Thats just my theory on sleepers.

Actually thats not a sleeper at all. There is no way i would call Marshall Faulk a sleeper despite how well he does this year. A sleeper to me, is someone you forget about come draft day, someone you dont normally automatically have on your draft sheets, but he puts up great numbers

Just my take
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed May 26, 2004 8:24 pm

Shatner8 wrote:
footballfreak449 wrote:A sleeper is someone who is better than the spot where they are taken. For example, Marshall Faulk could be a sleeper this year if he falls into the second round, as he will in most drafts. Thats just my theory on sleepers.

Actually thats not a sleeper at all. There is no way i would call Marshall Faulk a sleeper despite how well he does this year. A sleeper to me, is someone you forget about come draft day, someone you dont normally automatically have on your draft sheets, but he puts up great numbers

Just my take

Yeah, I would call sleepers people who aren't established that finally step up and "click" and become impact players. Draft sleepers would be people that you think will have the great effect throughout the entire year though as opposed to people you pick up on the WW because they are breaking through during the year.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby vidlaw » Wed May 26, 2004 8:39 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
Shatner8 wrote:

Just my take

Yeah, I would call sleepers people who aren't established that finally step up and "click" and become impact players. Draft sleepers would be people that you think will have the great effect throughout the entire year though as opposed to people you pick up on the WW because they are breaking through during the year.

As opposed to a definition I will use an example from last season.
I picked up Brian Westbrook in a salary cap league early in the season for chump change. He out performed most high end RB's in the league and was one of the higher priced RB's at season's end. THAT is what I call a sleeper.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Since Sept. 27, 1992 vs. Pittsburgh, Brett Favre has started 189 consecutive games. He's played in 35 different stadiums since that streak began, 15 of which are no longer standing
vidlaw
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Shatner8 » Wed May 26, 2004 8:42 pm

vidlaw wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:
Shatner8 wrote:

Just my take

As opposed to a definition I will use an example from last season.
I picked up Brian Westbrook in a salary cap league early in the season for chump change. He out performed most high end RB's in the league and was one of the higher priced RB's at season's end. THAT is what I call a sleeper.

Very good example........Brian Westbrook was almost unheard of last year and had a breakthrough season
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 26, 2004 11:14 pm

this would be considered a steal or a value pick - not a sleeper.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby VHawk15 » Wed May 26, 2004 11:20 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

this would be considered a steal or a value pick - not a sleeper.

Agreed. A sleeper is someone that people wouldn't even think about in about the top 5 rounds. You can get them pretty late in the draft, but they could have the value of someone in the first two rounds.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dreadpaul » Wed May 26, 2004 11:59 pm

VHawk15 wrote:[... but they could have the value of someone in the first two rounds.

I dislike placing an upper value like "first two rounds."

I'd define a sleeper as somebody who most people expect to post low to no FF numbers, yet wakes up as the season starts and posts FF numbers solid enough to earn a starting spot on anybody's roster.

With that definition, players for whom there are definite expectations (Marshall Faulk) won't qualify even if he has the best season of his career. It also allows in the #4 WR you drafted in the 13th round, and spends most of the season producing as your #2 WR... not a stud by any means, but a good producer.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 9er Fan » Thu May 27, 2004 4:17 pm

A sleeper is someone that doesn't appear on everyone's sleeper list before the season starts. ;) To me a sleeper is someone who will go undrafted (or maybe rounds 10+) in most leagues, but ends up being a valuable addition and owned in all/most leagues before the season is over.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk