Official Definition of "Sleeper?" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Official Definition of "Sleeper?"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu May 27, 2004 6:54 pm

vidlaw wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:
Shatner8 wrote:
footballfreak449 wrote:A sleeper is someone who is better than the spot where they are taken. For example, Marshall Faulk could be a sleeper this year if he falls into the second round, as he will in most drafts. Thats just my theory on sleepers.

Actually thats not a sleeper at all. There is no way i would call Marshall Faulk a sleeper despite how well he does this year. A sleeper to me, is someone you forget about come draft day, someone you dont normally automatically have on your draft sheets, but he puts up great numbers

Just my take

Yeah, I would call sleepers people who aren't established that finally step up and "click" and become impact players. Draft sleepers would be people that you think will have the great effect throughout the entire year though as opposed to people you pick up on the WW because they are breaking through during the year.

As opposed to a definition I will use an example from last season.
I picked up Brian Westbrook in a salary cap league early in the season for chump change. He out performed most high end RB's in the league and was one of the higher priced RB's at season's end. THAT is what I call a sleeper.

I agree.
New York Yankees: 2005 Offseason
Dallas Cowboys: 5-8
PrimeTime(baseball): FB Champion
PrimeTime (football): 10-4
ajgnydc722
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby footballfreak449 » Thu May 27, 2004 7:46 pm

Man, I guess it's a lot against one. :~(
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby waffler » Fri May 28, 2004 8:53 pm

my sleeper picks last year were matt hasselbeck, jamal lewis and moe williams. no one expected them to do as well as they did
waffler
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Azrael » Sat May 29, 2004 2:16 pm

My definition of a sleeper is someone who starts on an NFL team that no one has enough confidence in to draft as a starter on his/her fantasy team, but someone thinks he could become a fantasy starter because that owner thinks he has the talent to do well.

Here's some guys who I think could be considered sleepers (not all inclusive) Josh McCown, Carson Palmer, Lee Suggs, Kevin Jones, Justin McCareins, Larry Fitzgerald, Donte Stallworth.

Here's guys who are not sleepers.

1. WW pickups
2. Back up players who would have obviously been drafted had they been the starter.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sun May 30, 2004 10:07 am

Azrael wrote:My definition of a sleeper is someone who starts on an NFL team that no one has enough confidence in to draft as a starter on his/her fantasy team, but someone thinks he could become a fantasy starter because that owner thinks he has the talent to do well.

Here's some guys who I think could be considered sleepers (not all inclusive) Josh McCown, Carson Palmer, Lee Suggs, Kevin Jones, Justin McCareins, Larry Fitzgerald, Donte Stallworth.

Here's guys who are not sleepers.

1. WW pickups
2. Back up players who would have obviously been drafted had they been the starter.

I agree with everything except the last part. A backup player is a huge sleeper. Anyone who drafts a player who is a backup player at the start of the year is going out on a limb. If this isn't going after a sleeper I don't know what is. And with so much information out there these days I believe these are the only true sleepers. Everyone knows about the guys you listed as sleepers because of all the sites like this one out there. It's the guys like D.Davis and Boldin who I believe are the sleepers (from last year obviously). Anyway, just my opinion.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Sun May 30, 2004 10:17 am

waffler wrote:my sleeper picks last year were matt hasselbeck, jamal lewis and moe williams. no one expected them to do as well as they did

Jamal Lewis wasn't really a sleeper, he went in the 2nd round of most drafts.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sun May 30, 2004 10:45 am

TheRawDAWG wrote:
I agree with everything except the last part. A backup player is a huge sleeper. Anyone who drafts a player who is a backup player at the start of the year is going out on a limb. If this isn't going after a sleeper I don't know what is. And with so much information out there these days I believe these are the only true sleepers. Everyone knows about the guys you listed as sleepers because of all the sites like this one out there. It's the guys like D.Davis and Boldin who I believe are the sleepers (from last year obviously). Anyway, just my opinion.

Davis and Boldin were both WW pickups last year in probably 98% of leagues. If any RB was drafted last year from Houston it was Stacey Mack. No one from Arizona got drafted in either one of my leagues last year. Everyone thought the offense was just too bad. This could make Rashaun Woods a prime candidate for a sleeper. He won't be taken until one of the last rounds if at all, simply because the public perception is that the 49ers will suck on offense.

I consider backups to be handcuffs if anything and not sleepers. The only reason people are picking up DeShaun Foster or Steven Jackson is incase Davis or Faulk get hurt. If these 2 guys don't get hurt, Foster and Jackson don't have much fantasy value. I think sleepers have to be guys who are going to get the PT but we just aren't sure how good they are.

And regardless of how many guys say Fitzgerald, for example, is a sleeper; if he continues to go like 7th, 8th round or later, he is still a sleeper. Just because everyone calls them a sleeper doesn't mean they aren't one anymore.
Last edited by Azrael on Sun May 30, 2004 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby CC » Sun May 30, 2004 10:49 am

I don't think there is a perception that the 49ers will suck on offence, it is a guarantee.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk