What's your best draft strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's your best draft strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What's your best draft strategy?

Postby Azrael » Wed May 26, 2004 9:31 pm

In my 6-8 mock drafts that I've done, I've feel like I've fielded the best teams when I don't take a QB in the 1st 3 rounds. Basically forfeiting Vick, Manning, and Culpepper. I've taken McNabb a couple times in the 4th but it is also not wise to draft him if you've taken Gonzo in the 3rd. I just think it is too big of a hit to take by not drafting a RB or WR in rounds 3 and 4.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mr. Armstrong » Wed May 26, 2004 10:55 pm

My best draft strategy is to hold off on drafting a quarterback as long as possible. This can go all the way into the 7-8th round. This is especially true in deep leagues (12-16 players) and leagues with flex positions available.

Basically the way I look at it is this: running backs are going to win your championships. Period. Need proof of this? Look at your league's champion from last year and find the weak spot, I guarantee it will not be in the RB department. There are only so many starting running backs to go around, so you need to pick up your running backs often and early no matter how many good receivers, tight ends, and esp. quarterbacks are available. The less running backs out there for your opponents to pick up, the better.

The fact of the matter is that a wide receiver, tight end, and most especially QBs taken in the 16th round has a decent chance of producing some points. Whereas a running back taken in even the 10th round most likely won't even play in a game.
Mr. Armstrong

Friendliness: %

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 26, 2004 11:01 pm

In my mocks Ive had success taking the best available player regardless of position in the first few rds. I have a real hard time right now in what some people are considering #2 RBs, and think that currently there is value in RBs outside the 2nd rd. I have no problem leaving the first 3 rds with a QB, RB, and WR.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed May 26, 2004 11:01 pm

Depends in what spot Im in, I usually go get an 2 RBs and a WR, then judge whose left in the QB pool in rd 4. The only QB I like to take early is Culpepper because not only does he throw a lot of TDs, he also runs for some, so hes like a QB with a minature RB attached. Unless I have a late 3rd round pick to get Tony Gonzalez, I try to avoid TEs until later since there such a weak posistion. Alright I have to go, I have school in the morning :-t
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dreadpaul » Thu May 27, 2004 12:08 am

There's an old military saying, "no battle plan ever survives the first engagement intact." The same goes for draft strategies. I've seen guys win leagues who started with 3RBs, a QB, 2WR, TE, backup QB/WR and finally Def and K. I've also seen them win with Moss/Culpepper in round 1/2 then 2RB, etc.

My personal strategy is the old faithful - RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, QB, TE and then backups with K and def at the end. Of course, very few of my drafts ever go that way, but that's my strategy.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Flux » Thu May 27, 2004 6:36 am

In the current mock I'm in, I am going for the best player available approach, yet to see how that will work.

My best team came when I went RB, RB, QB in the first 3 rds and landed, Lewis/Faulk/Manning. Had the 7th overall. Although now that I think of it, that was probably best player available, although i set out to get 2 RBs in the 1st 2 rds

My 2nd best team is when I had the #1 pick and went RB, WR, WR, and ended up w/ Priest/CJ/Hines (had Julius Jones and Bennett as my other RBs)

I think a lot of it depends on where you draft, if you can get a GOOD 2nd RB (maybe Faulk and Taylor as i have the rest of the 2nd tier all bunched together), then you need to go for it, but if the value is better at WR or a different position you need to jump on that as well.

There is going to be some good value late w/ both the Jone's, Shipp, Westbrook, Bennett, Staley, Chris Brown (now), and whoever else if i missed someone, falling to the later rounds. Any of those guys could have good years. If you add them to a core of a stud RB/WR/WR or RB/WR/QB, I think you are still in pretty good shape.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Thu May 27, 2004 7:10 am

Dreadpaul wrote:There's an old military saying, "no battle plan ever survives the first engagement intact." The same goes for draft strategies.

That's my Strategy right there. I go in and do it off the cuff. I'll look at Best Available, Most Potential, and Bye Week Conflicts. I have never stuck to any sort of plan going into a draft. I'd rather wing it and go with the flow.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu May 27, 2004 7:23 am

I try to leave the first 3 rounds with 2 RB's and a stud WR, Culpepper, or Manning.

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Thu May 27, 2004 7:35 am

Dreadpaul wrote:There's an old military saying, "no battle plan ever survives the first engagement intact." The same goes for draft strategies. I've seen guys win leagues who started with 3RBs, a QB, 2WR, TE, backup QB/WR and finally Def and K. I've also seen them win with Moss/Culpepper in round 1/2 then 2RB, etc.

;-D
Flexibility is the key.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Cupertino_11 » Thu May 27, 2004 9:44 am

Unless someone falls to me that shouldn't be there like a Peyton Manning in the 4th, I try to stick to RB's and WR's in the first four rounds then go with the best of the rest. Often I'll go back to back QB's in the 6th, 7th, or 8th. Last year those two were Brady and Hasselbeck. QB's can wait.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk