What's your best draft strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's your best draft strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SidelineQB » Thu May 27, 2004 10:06 am

It really depends on what people are doing around you...i've been in leagues that love qbs and draft them pretty early...so i've had to follow suit...but obviously rbs win championships
SidelineQB
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SteveTaskerintheHall » Thu May 27, 2004 11:18 am

I focus on 2rb's, then WR, then TE to try to get a top three TE. THese are obviously TE required leagues that I play, and a productive TE can save your A** a lot of weeks.
The Buffalo Bills will circle the wagons in 2004!
SteveTaskerintheHall
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Estarr01 » Thu May 27, 2004 11:43 am

I think flux put it best when he stated it depends on when you draft. If you draft early there might not be a RB that warrants a late 2nd rounder, but you could probably get in the 3rd. At the same time if you draft late 7-10 you most likely will get a chance to get two top RB's.

I also agree you have to look at how everyone else drafts, you don't want to be stuck starting Bledsoe because you waited around to draft a QB.

The only rule I try to adhere to is to grab at minimum 2 RB in the first 3 rounds, everything else is open game. I would take a QB in the second round if I think it was warranted.

The simple truth is that RB's are the most consistent fantasy producers and that's the type of player you want leading your team and would take in the earlier rounds. A rare few WR's and QB's can do the same thing, those rare few are drafted early, but when they are drafted you lost the opportunity to draft a RB.
Estarr01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby canned fuego » Thu May 27, 2004 11:56 am

i usually go in with the mindset that i am going to draft three rbs in a row. It's safer as far as getting two solid backs, and if you get real lucky, you also have trade fodder early on. The only exception would be if some freak wideout slipped to the third round, then you'd have to take him.
canned fuego
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dazedncnfz » Thu May 27, 2004 12:16 pm

my best strategy is not to tell anyone what my strategy is...let alone post up in the cafe where most of the guys I face in my leagues read! :-D

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mack daddy » Thu May 27, 2004 1:23 pm

I think it also depends on the scoring system. Some leagues give one point per reception, making Wr's cloer in value to RB's than they otherwise would be.

The only thing I know for sure is to wait on QB's. Instead of drafting Manning, Culpepper, Vick, or McNabb high in the draft, wait on 2 above average QB's for later on in the draft. All these clowns have the potential to get you a couple of TD's any given week, plus you can play the matchups.
mack daddy

Friendliness: %

Postby SteveTaskerintheHall » Thu May 27, 2004 1:24 pm

I agree. Many jump on QB's too early when they can be stolen later. Last year getting Hasslebeck late, late in the draft was a gem. ;-D
The Buffalo Bills will circle the wagons in 2004!
SteveTaskerintheHall
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Free Bagel » Thu May 27, 2004 1:52 pm

I too am an advocate of the wait on a QB approach.

Two years ago, I nabbed Brady at the end of the draft and he lead the league in TD's.

Last year, I grabbed Pennington in the 7th round of a 12 team league, and Bulger in the second to last round. Ended up with two stud QB's (when Penny came back from injury) for cheap. Trent Green and Steve Mcnair were also drafted in the 7th/8th rounds and provided great value.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Lushcrush » Thu May 27, 2004 2:40 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote:my best strategy is not to tell anyone what my strategy is...let alone post up in the cafe where most of the guys I face in my leagues read! :-D

C'mon Dazey ... nobody would take advantage of you for disclosing your wise and learned draft strategies.
For instance ... what quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers do you like and exactly how much would you bid for them in an auction style draft like the one in the VXL???
:-)
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dazedncnfz » Thu May 27, 2004 2:54 pm

Lushcrush wrote:
Dazedncnfz wrote:my best strategy is not to tell anyone what my strategy is...let alone post up in the cafe where most of the guys I face in my leagues read! :-D

C'mon Dazey ... nobody would take advantage of you for disclosing your wise and learned draft strategies.
For instance ... what quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers do you like and exactly how much would you bid for them in an auction style draft like the one in the VXL???
:-)

lol...just cause you asked...at QB I would bid about $5-$7M on either Boller or Feeley...at RB easily go $8 or $9M on Faulk (Kevin that is, don't want to get you mixed up with that other bum Marshall) ...and at WR $4 to $6M on both Troy Brown and Tim Brown...

and just because I'm feeling nice...my Kicker of the week special is Neil Rackers...If I were you, I would bid what ever it takes to get him on your team...up for $5M is a an our right steal for him..GL and happy bidding ;-D

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk