What's your best draft strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What's your best draft strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby 9er Fan » Thu May 27, 2004 3:56 pm

If I'm drafting high (top-3ish picks), I (obviously) take a RB with pick number 1, but could go with a stud WR at number 2 if the RB well is running dry. I'd rather have a stud WR than a questionable RB. If I have a low 1st round pick, I would almost for sure take two RBs.

In any case, after the first four rounds, I'd have either 2RB / 2WR, 3RB / 1WR (if rbs were slipping), or 2RB / 1WR and Gonzo/CPepp/Manning/etc. if Gonzo or an elite QB slipped to me in the 4th AND I already had 2 RBs and a WR.
Last edited by 9er Fan on Thu May 27, 2004 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SteveTaskerintheHall » Thu May 27, 2004 3:58 pm

I think that is too early for a quarterback and you will be hurt later at WR. Even if Manning or Culpepper fall I say you skip them and draft WR 3 and elite TE/WR 4.
The Buffalo Bills will circle the wagons in 2004!
SteveTaskerintheHall
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby evilgenius » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:42 pm

I agree with dazed...what do you think I'm some kind of lame james bond type evil genius who will tell you my whole strategy then leave you alone with a retarded monkey to guard you? NO.
Besides somebody in my league probably has found this board and giving them my plan would screw up my draft.
evilgenius
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:12 pm

I'm a best-available-kind-of-guy. I only go into a draft with rankings of individual positions - no overall lists. I don't like to go into a draft with a preset idea of how the players at various positions rank against each other since it can change depending on how the draft is going and my team's specific needs.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:51 pm

The last two years I have waited on QBs, and it has burned me. "Sleepers" haven't woken, or I've tried to stop bleeding and have jumped ship too early, leaving me to hunt for points on the FA market.

Having said that, I still can't get myself to take a QB before say the 6th round, barring a weird plummet by one of the better QBs. Because I've gone RB early, and TE in the 4th I've always been in a position to trade back up to a QB strength.

Some would then say, cut out the middle step, and just draft a QB earlier. However if you take two QBs late, both have to drop for one to be forced to trade... unlikely.

That is what I've done in the past... but now, I may be sliding into the group that is questioning the value of the RBs in the 3rd.

Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Football Talk