Colt's WR Wayne, will he breakout this season? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Colt's WR Wayne, will he breakout this season?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Colt's WR Wayne, will he breakout this season?

Postby Fender » Fri May 28, 2004 9:01 pm

Over the last few years Reggie Wayne has been a role player on the Colt's recieving staff. He has been a GOOD second option for Peyton Manning to throw to, and take some pressure off of Marvin Harrison.

While surfing the net yesterday, I decided to go to http://www.nfl.com and check to see if any top picks have been signed to their respective teams. While doing this, I went to the Indianapolis Colts official team website. I don't know why, but for some reason I clicked on WR #87 Reggie Wayne. I was about to hit the back button when I noticed his recieving stats over the past 3 seasons. He was only a big game away from the epitome of a season for a WR last season: 1,000 yards!

I remember watching the Chiefs vs. Colts game back in January or December, when he caught that 37 yard TD pass from Manning on 4th and 5. That's what a big game reciever does... come through in the clutch.

I feel this player can be a stand-out for the Colts for many years to come; he is only 25. But I want to know YOUR opinion...

Will Reggie Wayne hit that magical 1,000 yards this season? I feel he will because Harrison still draws double teams and will usually leave REggie in single coverage. Later days.
[b][color=red]Double Trouble[/color][/b]
Fender
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Fri May 28, 2004 9:19 pm

I thought he broke out last year? :-?

Anyway, anything's possible. Indy certainly has the passing game to accomodate two thousand yard receivers.

...And with as late as he's been going in all of the AntSports mocks I've been involved in, he's looking like a bargain.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby footballfreak449 » Fri May 28, 2004 9:37 pm

With Harrison getting older, he should see more passes coming his way. My pred- 1150 yards 8 Td's, Solid Number #2 guy on any fantasy team. Most will say it's a reach, but I don't belive it is.
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby jjdub » Fri May 28, 2004 9:47 pm

I think he will only get better. He stepped up when Harrison was out and had some incredible games. He is a member of a large receiver corps (including the various TEs, and RB as receivers) but I think he will be a standout this year and break 1000 yrds.
jjdub
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Fri May 28, 2004 10:09 pm

Seemed like Stokley stole a lot of catches from Wayne toward the end of the season and I seem to recall hearing something about Manning liking Stokley...something about working out at camps together. It would be hard enough to get over 1,000 with Starving Marvin gobbling up passes, but add Edge, Stokley and the TEs to the mix and there may not be enough balls to go around.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby me_irate » Fri May 28, 2004 11:24 pm

Yeah, I don't see him getting 1,000 yards. With Harrison healthy, there just won't be enough balls coming his way.
me_irate
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby hayesb26 » Sat May 29, 2004 9:28 am

He won't get enough receptions. Maybe if Marv walks after this season, there will be achance for him to get there. With both TE's, Edge, Marv, and Stokley taking passes, he won't get enough to reach the 1k
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Sat May 29, 2004 2:01 pm

I agree cuna, he broke out this year. Stokely, IMO, is the young WR in Indy that will rise to take over for Marvin. And as long as Marv is there, Wayne will have a tough time. Not a bad backup however, could be good in the later rounds
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat May 29, 2004 5:40 pm

I can't see Marvin leaving Indy, so for now his potential is limited.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

No breakout for Wayne

Postby The Lung » Sun May 30, 2004 1:05 pm

#1) Harrison is always the primary target.
#2) With the emergence of Troy Walters and Brandon Stokely, there is the fear that the ball will get distributed around too much next year.
#3) Throw in TEs Marcus Pollard and Dallas Clark into that equation - can you really count on Reggie seeing a ton of balls thrown his way next year?
#4) While Wayne had 838 yards and 7 TDs during the regular season last year, he had three big games: 141 yards/2 TDs, 96 yards/2 TDs, and 141 yards/0 TDs which accounts for a good chunk of his overall production. During many other weeks Wayne caught for only 20-40 yards and no touchdowns, producing barely any fantasy points. During week 16 versus Denver (the fantasy superbowl for most) he had zero catches for zero yards.
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Next

Return to Football Talk