Pennington vs Bulger - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Pennington vs Bulger

Moderator: Football Moderators

Pennington vs Bulger

Postby Dreadpaul » Sat May 29, 2004 1:44 pm

I keep seeing Pennington on people's top 10 QB list (some ranked as high as 7)... and I keep seeing Bulger either below Pennington (and sometimes doesn't even make the top 10). What's the deal?

In '03, Pennington started 10 games. If you extrapolate his numbers out for 16 games, he would have thrown 3400 yards, got 21 TDs and 19ints (and run in 4 more TDs).

Bulger spent the entire pre-season as a backup to Warner, watched Warner drop the ball 6 times in game 1, and in the remaining 15 games threw 3,845 yards, 22 TDs, 22ints (and ran in 5 more TDs).

Based on '03 stats, these guys should be about a push. What happened in the off-season to move Pennington above Bulger in most people's minds?
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballfreak449 » Sat May 29, 2004 1:53 pm

I'm from WV, so I love Bulger. But, Pennington got hurt because he got hit in the hand(Or something like that), not because he pulled something. So the fact he got injured is almost completly out the window. As well, Bulger had a 1 to 1, TD to INT ratio, while Pennington had almost 4 to 1 two years ago. All in all, Pennington and Bulger are very close stat wise, but people just seem to like Pennington more.
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby th3ma7r1x » Sat May 29, 2004 1:59 pm

I am one of those people who like Pennington more. I think Pennington's injury had an effect on his play last year. And the year before that he was a great FF quarterback.
th3ma7r1x
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MeShawn » Sat May 29, 2004 2:01 pm

I like Bulger slightly more, but its very close.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Sat May 29, 2004 2:14 pm

I think the addition of McCairens makes Pennington a better QB than last year. In St. Louis Holt is the man but Bruce is getting up there and then he has Dane Looker :-t
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Sat May 29, 2004 2:30 pm

Here's the thing with Bulger and Pennington. Bulger should have done alot better with the amount of talent he has around him and he's often not a good decision maker. Bulger threw a pick in 13 out of 15 games last year and multiple picks in 7 games. I think Bulger has done as well as he did because of the offense around him.

Even coming back right off the injury last year, Pennington started off blistering 12 TDs in his first 5 games starting. Then he ran into 3 pretty good defenses in Buffalo, NE, and Miami and had that snowstorm game against Pittsburgh. Pennington actually only had one horrible game last year against NE. Before he went down last year he was a top 5 QB. I personally have him as a push for 5th with Hass after Culpepper, Manning, Vick, and McNabb.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby awwchrist » Sat May 29, 2004 2:32 pm

Pennington and Bulger are fairly even off the top of my head (haven't boiled the FF points down though)...

For me though, I'd much rather root for Penny. Sometimes that's just what it comes down to.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Sat May 29, 2004 2:33 pm

footballfreak449 wrote:I'm from WV, so I love Bulger. But, Pennington got hurt because he got hit in the hand(Or something like that), not because he pulled something. So the fact he got injured is almost completly out the window. As well, Bulger had a 1 to 1, TD to INT ratio, while Pennington had almost 4 to 1 two years ago. All in all, Pennington and Bulger are very close stat wise, but people just seem to like Pennington more.

If your from WV, why don't you like Pennington as well? He played his college ball at Marshall, another WV school.

I think Pennington is the slightly better QB, but Bulger has the much better team. So I give Bulger the edge in FF. Also look for Bulgers Int to TD ratio to get better this year.

Friendliness: %

Postby Canacuna » Sat May 29, 2004 3:11 pm

I have them both similarly ranked - towards the end of the top ten QBs.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CC » Sat May 29, 2004 5:35 pm

I like Pennington a good bit more than Bulger. Extrapolating Pennington's stat's doesnt really make sense though, because he threw 5 INTs vs. New England and you know he wouldn't do that again.

Edited: To fix my dumbass mistake.
Last edited by Canadian_Cheesehead on Sat May 29, 2004 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk