How high are rookies usually taken? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How high are rookies usually taken?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How high are rookies usually taken?

Postby MikeKid » Sun May 30, 2004 3:45 am

I can't recall anyone of my FF drafts where ANY rookie was taken (at least not untill the last couple rounds). I think there is a high expectance for Jones, Winslows, Evans, & Reggie Williams to stand out immediately. More specifically the first two. But, when is too early to pick up a rookie? :-?
MikeKid
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bungle613 » Sun May 30, 2004 3:52 am

Winlsow is already a top 5 (not my opinion) TE on most draft therefore he will likely go in the 5-7 rd range. Also the Jones' who are most likely rookie starters for there teams will go high, I would guess anywhere from 5 and up... may be higher but doubtful. A starting 20 touch rb is getting rare in the NFL.

Also, you may have a short memory... C. Rogers and A. Johnson probably went in your draft last year. They did in mine.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Azrael » Sun May 30, 2004 8:00 am

The only ones I've seen consistently taken in the 5th round are Winslow and Julius Jones. Kevin Jones goes next, 6th or 7th. Fitzgerald usually goes in the 8th or later but I have seen him taken in the 5th one time. I consider that an anomaly. Everyone else will probably be taken after the 10th round.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby MCG321 » Sun May 30, 2004 8:17 am

The only rookie I predict getting picked relatively early is KW2 because most are immediately making him a top 5 TE. However, TEs are generally taken late to begin with, so I don't see any rookies that should go in the first 4-5 rounds.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun May 30, 2004 10:19 am

Winslow and both Jones' will go relatively high, th other guys can be had late.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dreadpaul » Sun May 30, 2004 1:10 pm

I'm doing a 16 team keeper league draft right now. We're in the middle of round 4. Rookies taken so far are:
Julius Jones (pick 39 - rnd 3.7)
Steven Jackson (pick 40 - rnd 3.8)
Kevin Jones (pick 43 - rnd 3.11)
Eli Manning (pick 52 - rnd 4.4)
K Winslow (pick 53 - rnd 4.5)

I should note that the guy who took Jackson also took Faulk in the second round. He explained that he really wanted to handcuff the two of them and was afraid Jackson wouldn't be there with the RBs flying off the board. Personally, I think anyone would be crazy to take Jackson before the 5th round, but I won't complain about his paranoia causing him to pick Jackson early.

Also, the guy who took Manning may be in high school and therefore susceptible to hype. His language skills are lacking and frequently interspersed with foul languaged. Which is to say, he uses the f-bomb like a comma.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pete123444 » Sun May 30, 2004 1:22 pm

i'm in a 14 teamer now and j jones went 2.11 and k jones 2.12,eli at 2.14,t bell at 4.11,s jackson at 4.14(not faulk owner), 4 fitz at 5.01,winslow went 5.02 we're still in the fifth.

oh and btw, dreadpaul, i WILL be laughing in heaven whether it's proper or not.
Pete
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Canacuna » Sun May 30, 2004 1:45 pm

I'm in a 10 teamer that's drafting right now (Nameless Nomads Keeper League) and selected Julius Jones with the 5.01 pick. Thus far, he's the only rookie taken (we're on pick 6.05 now).
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Ek » Sun May 30, 2004 7:03 pm

Julius Jones, sadly, is probably worth taking in the late fourth/early fifth, provided Dallas doesn't aquire another RB before the draft (I've heard some Eddie George rumors, among other possibilities). Kellen Winslow should be a top TE, but drafting a TE in the first third of the draft is lunacy unless his name rhymes with Schonzalez. I like Larry Fitzgerald, especially with Dennis Green coaching the Cards, but eigth round sounds about right. I'm not really sold on any of the other rookie WRs as guys to take until at least after round 10. Do not, under any circumstances, have a rookie QB playing an important role on your fantasy team (and don't even count on any of the second year guys to start for you).
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bungle613 » Sun May 30, 2004 9:13 pm

Pete123444 wrote:i'm in a 14 teamer now and j jones went 2.11 and k jones 2.12,eli at 2.14,t bell at 4.11,s jackson at 4.14(not faulk owner), 4 fitz at 5.01,winslow went 5.02 we're still in the fifth.

oh and btw, dreadpaul, i WILL be laughing in heaven whether it's proper or not.
Pete

that's nuts
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk