Is Gibbs really a run-oriented coach? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is Gibbs really a run-oriented coach?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Gibbs really a run-oriented coach?

Postby Dreadpaul » Sun May 30, 2004 1:18 pm

The consensus at this site seems to be that Gibbs is a run-oriented coach. I just found an article at footballguys.com which that refutes that belief. It states that in 14 years of playcalling, 50% have been passes and 50% were runs.

The full article shows the stats to back up the commentary:
http://www.footballguys.com/04wood_coaching.htm

Here's the commentary (the good stuff is towards the middle and end):

Washington Redskins

Head Coach - Joe Gibbs; what needs to be said about the man who brought three Super Bowl titles to D.C. before retiring to form a NASCAR team? Gibbs returns unexpectedly and has also taken control of football operations, perhaps the only man alive that owner Dan Snyder would've allocated so much power

Offensive Coordinator - Don Breaux; Gibbs has a deep, experienced offensive coaching staff including Joe Bugel, who holds the title of Assistant Head Coach. But it's believed Bugel will focus on the offensive line. To that end, Gibbs named Don Breaux offensive coordinator. Breaux coached the Redskins running backs from 1981-1993 and then served as a tight ends coach for the Jets and Panthers over the following eight seasons.

Defensive Coordinator - Gregg Williams; Williams quickly joined Gibbs' staff after being fired as the Bills head coach. Williams was considered one of the most in demand defensive coordinator possibilities, having crafted strong defenses in his years with Tennessee (formerly Houston) prior to becoming a head coach.

FANTASY IMPACT

In 14 seasons calling NFL plays, Gibbs ran the gamut offensively from the rush heavy teams lead by John Riggins to the Super Bowl team that relied on the arm of Mark Rypien. If you're looking for a coach that's not beholden to one style of play calling, look no further than Joe Gibbs. Note the symmetry of his coaching career to date. In 14 seasons, 50% of his play calls were passes, the other 50% were rushes. His highest percentage or rushes in a season - 58%, his highest percentage of passes - 58%. This is a man who identified the weaknesses in opposing teams' defenses, and crafted game plans to take advantage of those weaknesses.

Stylistically Gibbs was known for his innovative motion offense, and also favored max protection schemes to keep the quarterback on his feet. It's exactly that type of scheme that may work well in today's NFL, where teams have built defenses to stop the spread offenses made popular in recent years. There's no question that Gibbs is a bit of a throwback when it comes to rushing the ball. His teams' averaged more than 520 carries per season and the Redskin's aggressive acquisition of Clinton Portis signals Gibbs' intention to pick up where he left off. Some skeptics may point to Gibbs' teams paltry 3.84 career yards per rush as a sign of worry, but remember that Gibbs never had a RB quite like Portis (Riggins and Byner were grinders) and we would caution against holding that against the young RB.

Until someone proves otherwise, we're giving Gibbs the benefit of the doubt and expect big fantasy production from this team. Coaching football is a lot like riding a bike; once you learn you don't ever really forget.

The Redskins are not lacking in talent offensively, with one of the best young running backs in football, two solid tackles, a talented QB tandem and a deep receiving corps. You can count on Gibbs & Company putting an emphasis on protecting the quarterback, which means he'll have plenty of time to find Coles, Gardner & Company on the outside.

Defensively, Williams was the hottest commodity this offseason and will have every opportunity to prove his worth on a team long on big contracts but short on impact. Is this finally the year Lavar Arrington lives up to the hype? Will the team generate a pass rush with the no name line it's assembled? Can Fred Smoot and Shawn Springs pick up where Champ Bailey left off? Stay tuned.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sun May 30, 2004 3:30 pm

I think Lavar has already lived up to the hype. He's probably the best OLB in the league (Julian Peterson isn't far behind though).
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Sun May 30, 2004 4:56 pm

LaVar is amazing but they still feel he can be even better in the right system, taking advantage of his stregnths

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby NittanyLions » Sun May 30, 2004 4:58 pm

I agree, he is great but could be a little better. Peterson and Lavar on the outside + Lewis on the inside would be monster! I still say Gibbs likes to run, I think hes a hard-nosed pound 'em kind of coach
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sun May 30, 2004 6:28 pm

Gibbs is typical old-school - you have to establish the running game to open up the passing game. That said, he also will go heavier with whatever his teams' strength is in any given year, be it passing or running as your article suggests.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby footballfreak449 » Sun May 30, 2004 6:30 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I think Lavar has already lived up to the hype. He's probably the best OLB in the league (Julian Peterson isn't far behind though).

Agreed 100% ;-D
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby smackthefirst » Mon May 31, 2004 12:37 am

Gibbs is the type of coach that can adaptly quickly and effectively and thats what makes him so good. He knows what his teams strengths are and thats what the play calls will be. It always has been and it probably always will be.

Hes not one of those coaches that you know likes to do this or that, like Martz with passing.

This year Portis is the best they have on O, thats why they went and got him. They'll focus on the run. But if Portis goes down, theyll be a passing team very quickly.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Azrael » Mon May 31, 2004 9:25 am

I think Portis can still have a huge year if he can gut through his nicks and dings injuries.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby terpfan » Mon May 31, 2004 10:24 am

id say that was a pretty good description of gibbs offense.

as for lavar, he could be alot better. he over pursues too often and still has problems wrapping up. i dont think we've seen nothin yet.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Guru » Mon May 31, 2004 3:06 pm

;-D good article.

I've always considered Gibbs to be a run oriented coach.

It's nice to see his play calling broken down like that.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk