Another Brock Lesnar Update... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another Brock Lesnar Update...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:55 am

Given those physical stats, I'd say he's worth signing to a practice squad. A guy like that, I'd want to see if I could train him to be a linebacker. If he can't pick up the NFL's scheme, no loss, if he can, that's one incredibly fast 280 pound man that would make any RB wince at the thought of running up the middle.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Buckychudd » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:02 am

This guy is a flat out athlete. As long as he is fully recovered from his motorcycle accident, he's going to get a lot more attention than the practice squad......and I'm not even a WWF fan.

The question is.....is he really serious about this???
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Wrestleannouncer » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:38 am

I think I can speak on this about as well if not better than anybody as I've worked in Professional Wrestling for the past four years, which has led me into mainstream sports media, and one of my current roommates and close friends is now working with the WWE on a developmental contract.

He did a show in Atlanta a few months ago that my roommate competed on in a tryout capacity before the actual major TV taping began, probably three weeks before Lesnar quit the company because of the travel schedule and because he appears to be bipolar, at least to some extent. He spoke to absolutely no one, was totally distant, and most everyone avoided him like the plague and several voiced in private circles that he just wasn't a team player. He has always been in it for himself... which means he might fit in the NBA, but most of the "himself" players in the NFL don't get the job done.

No question Lesnar is a physical specimen who is tremendously gifted, but if you truly believe he's not on steroids... you're wrong. If you know what to look for, you can tell, and let's not kid ourselves into believing that the NFL catches fifteen percent of steroid users... because it's RAMPANT throughout sports.

As for Brock in the NFL, me personally, knowing a few people who spent time with him in the WWE and others who watched him from afar... I'd take a pass. The guy just doesn't have his head on straight. I don't doubt he has the athleticism to play football. I do, however, doubt, that he has the heart and the mind to make a full-time jump into the game after never playing football in college. I think it would be fun to watch but more so for a potential train wreck mentality than anything else. That being said, I would NOT be surprised at all to find out he could make it on an NFL field with his build and ridiculous physical gifts... only problem is, he is much shorter than some people believe and with the heavy steroid use over the past several years, that everyone in the industry was aware of, his legs have to be an issue. They are huge all around, but the ligament damage that has been seen in many other notorious roid incidents in wrestling is hard to deny. Dropped foot syndrome would basically end his career in a second, and it's a possibility with anyone.

It might be an interesting story to follow in the coming months, and there's a possibility a team would take a chance on him for more publicity reasons than anything else... but I highly doubt it ever gets past the rumors or "what if" stage.
Wrestleannouncer
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby proKrastinate » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:50 am

wow, thanks for the insight wrestle. i had hopes just for the sake of intrigue or curiousity, but now i have serious doubts
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MCG321 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:08 pm

Wrestleannouncer wrote:I think I can speak on this about as well if not better than anybody as I've worked in Professional Wrestling for the past four years, which has led me into mainstream sports media, and one of my current roommates and close friends is now working with the WWE on a developmental contract.

He did a show in Atlanta a few months ago that my roommate competed on in a tryout capacity before the actual major TV taping began, probably three weeks before Lesnar quit the company because of the travel schedule and because he appears to be bipolar, at least to some extent. He spoke to absolutely no one, was totally distant, and most everyone avoided him like the plague and several voiced in private circles that he just wasn't a team player. He has always been in it for himself... which means he might fit in the NBA, but most of the "himself" players in the NFL don't get the job done.

No question Lesnar is a physical specimen who is tremendously gifted, but if you truly believe he's not on steroids... you're wrong. If you know what to look for, you can tell, and let's not kid ourselves into believing that the NFL catches fifteen percent of steroid users... because it's RAMPANT throughout sports.

As for Brock in the NFL, me personally, knowing a few people who spent time with him in the WWE and others who watched him from afar... I'd take a pass. The guy just doesn't have his head on straight. I don't doubt he has the athleticism to play football. I do, however, doubt, that he has the heart and the mind to make a full-time jump into the game after never playing football in college. I think it would be fun to watch but more so for a potential train wreck mentality than anything else. That being said, I would NOT be surprised at all to find out he could make it on an NFL field with his build and ridiculous physical gifts... only problem is, he is much shorter than some people believe and with the heavy steroid use over the past several years, that everyone in the industry was aware of, his legs have to be an issue. They are huge all around, but the ligament damage that has been seen in many other notorious roid incidents in wrestling is hard to deny. Dropped foot syndrome would basically end his career in a second, and it's a possibility with anyone.

It might be an interesting story to follow in the coming months, and there's a possibility a team would take a chance on him for more publicity reasons than anything else... but I highly doubt it ever gets past the rumors or "what if" stage.

Great to see an insider's perspective. ;-D
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:46 pm

arrbez wrote:one problem with a wrestler playing football:

don't they test for steroids in the NFL?

Lol... ive been sayin the same thing everytime a post about lesnar pops up.[/img]

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:53 pm

Im sorry but im gonna have to say some things about Wrestleannouncer's post. Im not denying anything he said but have some serious questions.

probably three weeks before Lesnar quit the company because of the travel schedule and because he appears to be bipolar, at least to some extent. He spoke to absolutely no one, was totally distant, and most everyone avoided him like the plague and several voiced in private circles that he just wasn't a team player.

Ive heard many times that this is because Lesner does not use steroids and does not like the lifestyle of the WWE.

No question Lesnar is a physical specimen who is tremendously gifted, but if you truly believe he's not on steroids... you're wrong.

The NCAA tests more than any league ive ever seen and he was huge then. Thats why he managed to get plugged in the WWE so quickly.

The guy just doesn't have his head on straight. I don't doubt he has the athleticism to play football. I do, however, doubt, that he has the heart and the mind to make a full-time jump into the game after never playing football in college.

Ok the guy played in high school and was good, but he was much better at wrestling. not playing in college had nothing to do with a lack of desire. More simply it is next to impossible to wrestle and play football in college. He stuck with what he was best at.

So do I think Brock will make it in the NFL? I honestly don't know yet. But I would not be surprised at all to see a team sign him to an NFL Europe club to let him develop. Simple fact of the matter he is an athelete, and a very gifted one at that. That is the one thing that can not be taught to anyone.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk