Kurt Warner = Giant? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kurt Warner = Giant?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kurt Warner = Giant?

Postby Canacuna » Mon May 31, 2004 4:01 am

...'tis looking like a done deal...

New York Daily News wrote:Warner has made a complete journey from a nobody who couldn't get an NFL job to piling up Hall of Fame numbers to just another quarterback desperate to prove he's not washed up. All in five years.

Now, he's headed to the grandest stage to revive his compelling career - indications are he will sign with the Giants this week.

One lousy fumble and there'll be speculation about his right hand, after all those broken bones, and questions about whether he's taken too many shots to the head.

If Warner's body has healed and energized, however, Manning will be carrrying the clipboard all season.

He's just holding space until Manning is ready, but Warner will be under tremendous pressure to show he's not just some shooting star who has faded away as quickly as he lit up the league.

Here's how Warner's future is expected to play out: The Rams will cut him at 4:01 p.m. Tuesday, the earliest the team can get salary cap relief from the contract that has paid him $17.5 million in signing and option bonuses since 2000. The Giants, looking for a one-year babysitter for Manning, will move quickly to sign him. They are likely to pay him $3 million in signing bonus and salary for 2004 with a mechanism to retain his rights if he has a great season. The Giants want him to be on the field for their minicamp a week from tomorrow and to start the season opener Sept. 12 in Philly. His presence will appease veterans upset about losing Kerry Collins and not ready to sacrifice their season for the development of a rookie quarterback.

The Giants want and need Warner. He wants and needs them. He gives them a way to gracefully pass the baton to Manning. They give him a chance to re-establish himself.

I shortened this thing up a lot (lot's of near worthless quotes from Boomer Esiason were cut, other semi-offtopic things, ect.), but the full version can be viewed here: Kurtain Call for Warner
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballfreak449 » Mon May 31, 2004 6:59 am

He could end up having to step up to the plate if Manning doesn't preform like they want him to, and then he will be the next Ryan Leaf...
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby Flux » Mon May 31, 2004 9:01 am

Good move for the Giants even though I think Warner is completely washed up. It at least gives the appearance that there is a capable backup in the wings for Eli.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deftdelivery » Mon May 31, 2004 9:56 am

Flux wrote:Good move for the Giants even though I think Warner is completely washed up. It at least gives the appearance that there is a capable backup in the wings for Eli.

I agree - they don't want Palmer stepping in there again. However, with no major improvements on that horrendous O-line, whoever is thrown into the fire will come out bruised, banged up, and downright ugly :-°
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NittanyLions » Mon May 31, 2004 11:01 am

Flux wrote:Good move for the Giants even though I think Warner is completely washed up. It at least gives the appearance that there is a capable backup in the wings for Eli.

I agree, nice move, hes got the experience needed.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:34 am

Might as well just send this one up to the top...I cut out the important stuff. The whole article is here.

Len Pasquarelli from ESPN.com wrote:With a long day of courtship behind them, the New York Giants and quarterback Kurt Warner are expected to complete a contract agreement on Thursday, several league sources told ESPN.com late Wednesday night.

Barring any snags, the two-time NFL MVP -- whose release from the St. Louis Rams became official Wednesday afternoon -- will sign a two-year contract.

Under terms of the proposed deal, Warner will earn $3 million for the 2004 season. That includes a signing bonus of $1.5 million and a base salary for the same amount. Warner would have the ability to void the second year of the contract and become an unrestricted free agent next spring by reaching relatively easy performance benchmarks.

One source said that if Warner is "just drawing breath" next spring, the contract will be voided and he will be able to test the open market. Financial details of the second year of the contract were not known. Warner, 32, is expected to win the starting job, vacated by Kerry Collins, and to serve as a "bridge" quarterback while the Giants groom first-round choice Eli Manning to assume the No. 1 spot, most likely in 2005.

The Giants, who visited with Warner last month and put him through a thorough physical examination, are believed to be the only franchise that offered him the opportunity to be the starter.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:46 am

Why the Giants? Where are the Dolphins or Cowboys? Both of those teams need a quarterback to become very competitive, Super Bowl contenders even. Warner is not a good fit with the Giants. They have a poor o-line and mobility is Warner's greatest weakness as the Giants should know well since they were the one's who knocked him out of the starting position last year with their pass rush. Put Warner behind a good offensive line and I think he still has some magic left. The Dolphins and Cowboys are dreaming if they think they can go far with their current QB's. During the three year period from 99 to 01 Warner was not only the best QB in the league but in my humble opinion he put the best three years together of any QB I have seen. Look at his lifetime QB rating. It is at the top, ahead of the Montana's, Favre's, and Marino's. Look it up! Now I know that his career has been short so that helps, but I'm just saying he is only two years removed from that kind of performance. His downfall isn't because of a reduction of his skills but a reduction of his o-line. Please Giants don't take him! Calling to the Dolphins, or Cowboys, wake up!!
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:01 am

Carolina Culpepper wrote:in my humble opinion he put the best three years together of any QB I have seen. Look at his lifetime QB rating. It is at the top, ahead of the Montana's, Favre's, and Marino's.

3 years vs. 14 years is a huge difference. Though I'll give it to you that he may not be washed up. I was disappointed by his 2002 performance, which was horrendous, but he was playing injured through most of it as I understand. His 2003 performance, well that is a bungle I really chalk up to Mike Martz. How any coach could have the lack of respect for his QBs well-being to not take him out of the game after he's had a concussion... I dont care that Warner asked to stay in, any player would, but I see that as a huge coaching error.

So really, Warner does have some valid excuses for his past 2 years of poor performance, and I think he could end up serving very well as a bridge QB.

Also, why is everyone down on Miami's QB situation? I never thought Fiedler was that bad (at least fantasy-wise). He's not going to win the game for you, but he won't lose it either, and with the weapons they've got he could have a career year while Feeley gets acquainted with the offense.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:03 am

Montana Favre and Marino never have been as injury plagued as Warner. And never had Psycho wives.

I think the Giants would be a good fit for him...Let him start a few games get knocked out, and then put Eli in when no one is expecting him to win. Warner is their get outta jail free card.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:01 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Montana Favre and Marino never have been as injury plagued as Warner. And never had Psycho wives.

I think the Giants would be a good fit for him...Let him start a few games get knocked out, and then put Eli in when no one is expecting him to win. Warner is their get outta jail free card.

A good fit for the Giants perhaps, but not for Warner. He needs to think this thru. Hold out for a more promising situation. And I definately agree with you on the psycho wife thing!!
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk