Tell me about your WR strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tell me about your WR strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:25 pm

I usually spend weeks 1-4 deciding on my starting WR corps (except for obvious must-start studs)... Then I try to ride them unless someone else really starts to break out (ie Steve Smith last year)...

But, I will not hesitate to bench someone who is facing Champ Bailey... ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chopper » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:39 pm

Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about "should I bench Marvin 'cause he's playing the Ravens".... I'm never going to wish I'd played Boston over Moss the one week that David's vagina didn't hurt.
I'm trying to figure out what's important to consider when choosing between, say, Streets and Stallworth and Booker for my #2 slot. Because I'll invariably choose wrong.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Sandwich » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:22 pm

The only benching I do based on matchup is DE. Other then that I always play my studs. The only exception to this is if they have a bye or if it is the first game back after an injury. If you look at the stats for guys coming back off of injuries it usually takes them a game or two to get back on track. I am willing to gamble on the second game back but not the first.
Big players tend to step up in big games, even against talent. I would rather loose with my studs in then risk having them go nuts and be on my bench.
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby EVILGENIUS » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:19 pm

Switched between bulger and Hasselbeck during first part of the season based on matchups, I considered them about equal and it worked out great for me. Later as bulger struggled I went with Hasselbeck full time. Except the one time I benched Hasselback against the Ravens...Yea that game cost me mucho $$, dont really want to talk about it ...oh yea the player I benched him for was Rattay based soley on matchup and he stank up the place. So my lesson was go with your stud players week in and out. Only if they have 3-4 bad weeks in a row do you start to look at your options. :~(
EVILGENIUS

Friendliness: %

Postby Dreadpaul » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:11 pm

Chopper wrote:I'm trying to figure out what's important to consider when choosing between, say, Streets and Stallworth and Booker for my #2 slot.

In that type of situation, where you truly believe all three WRs are equal, then you can look at matchups. However, before I declare them all equal, I'd look for the hot hand. If Stallworth hasn't produced in the last 4 weeks, don't pick him just because it must be his turn. Take the guy whose been doing the best recently. Odds are better that his successful trend will continue than a guy in a slump will turn around.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk