June players cut thread: - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

June players cut thread:

Moderator: Football Moderators

June players cut thread:

Postby JrcWy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:14 am

Haven't seen anything posted about this yet so I thought I'd throw it up here from Yahoo Sports...

NEW YORK (AP) -- Vinny Testaverde's six-year stay with the New York Jets is over.

The Jets submitted the necessary paperwork to the NFL on Tuesday to release the 17-year veteran quarterback in a salary-cap move. By cutting him Tuesday, the Jets will save $1.5 million on this year's cap. In 2005, Testaverde will count for $4 million.

Testaverde thanked the team for the opportunity to continue his career elsewhere in a statement released through his agent, Michael Azzarelli. The 40-year-old Testaverde is high on the Dallas Cowboys' list, where he would play for his former coach, Bill Parcells. Another team that could make a pitch is AFC East division rival New England.

The Jets are expected to make the announcement official Wednesday.

``I appreciate the Jets allowing me to move on with my career,'' Testaverde said. ``I want to thank the organization for giving a chance to play in my hometown. It's been a great experience. We had some exciting moments on the field and memories I can take with me.''

Testaverde became one of the most popular players in team history, but made it clear last season he didn't want to stick around as a No. 3 quarterback.

In 1998, he made the Pro Bowl and guided the Jets to the AFC title game with Parcells at the helm. But Testaverde tore his Achilles' tendon in the first game of the next season.

In 2001, the first year under coach Herman Edwards, Testaverde led the Jets to a 10-6 record and a wild-card playoff berth. But after that, his age began to show. And it was clear he didn't fit in with the West Coast-style offense used by offensive coordinator Paul Hackett.

Testaverde lost his starting job to Chad Pennington early in the 2002 season, and Pennington led the Jets from a 2-5 start into the playoffs. When Pennington broke his wrist last summer, Testaverde took over and went 2-5 as a starter before Pennington returned.

Despite the losing record, Testaverde became the ninth quarterback in NFL history to pass for over 40,000 yards last season.

Going into this season, second-year player Brooks Bollinger will be the backup.

Also Tuesday, the Jets decided they wouldn't retain the rights to defensive back Jamie Henderson, who sustained head injuries in a motorcycle accident near Atlanta on April 3.

Henderson, a restricted free agent, got into the accident before he could sign the qualifying tender offered by the Jets. It is unknown whether Henderson will be able to continue his career.

Everyone saw this and Warner's release coming, I'll keep a close eye out for any new on other post June 1st cuts ;-D
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby nebbie2004 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:24 am

WAY TO GO, JETS!! ;-D
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

June Cuts Thread

Postby JrcWy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:51 pm

Redskins have cut linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, running back Trung Canidate and guard Dave Fiore.

Packers cut Eric Crouch. I know how eveyone in the cafe loves more Eric Crouch news.

Cardinals released quarterback Preston Parsons, tight end Steve Bush, safety Justin Lucas, and defensive tackles Marcus Bell and Barron Tanner.

Broncos released Daryl Gardener.

Feel free to add on to the list as they trickle in boys.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:09 pm

Great idea for a post! ;-D

Of course there are the ones identified in other threads.....

St. Louis cut Kurt Warner. Early word is he may sign with the NYG.

NYJ cut Vinny. No fantasy implications.......unless your team really sucked.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby JrcWy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:22 pm

Heres a few more I dug up...

Eagles released QB Scott McMullen and QB Phil Stambaugh. (should have offered them to Miami for a 1st and 3rd round pick, phins might have bit :-? )

Bengals waived RB Nick Ayers
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:13 pm

Steelers officaially cut Gildon today

all ive found so far
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Guru » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:44 pm

It looks like Eddie George is not going to get cut.

I think all of those things the Titans owner said in the public was to get Eddie to restructure his contract.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin' » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:53 pm

you got it. eddie HAS to know that if he doesn't restructure then he is in trouble. he might as well take less money for a team that will still play him as a #1. he is an iffy #1 anywhere else. hell, he is an iffy #1 in tenn.
Big Pimpin'
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MCG321 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:09 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1814245

DT Marcus Bell Cardinals
TE Steve Bush Cardinals
RB Trung Canidate Redskins
C Dave Fiore Redskins
DT Daryl Gardener Broncos
LB Jason Gildon Steelers
DB Justin Lucas Cardinals
QB Preston Parsons Cardinals
DT Barron Tanner Cardinals
QB Vinny Testaverde Jets
LB Jeremiah Trotter Redskins
QB Kurt Warner Rams
CB Tyrone Williams Falcons
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TonySanta316 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:24 pm

If Eddie dosn't restructure by the end of the week, I think he's getting cut. He may not of been cut on June 1st, but I'm sure it's coming.
TonySanta316
Monday Morning Quarterback

Next

Return to Football Talk