strategies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

strategies

Moderator: Football Moderators

strategies

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:58 pm

I am mediocre at fantasy football. in baseball, im at the top every year with the same group of guys. but when football comes along, i am in the middle, at best, out of 14 guys. my best sleeper last year was steve smith. i wanna know is, what is your strategy for football, and how well does it work?
Amatter32

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:00 pm

We just had a large discussion on this subject!

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=61146

I'm sure if I look back farther I can find some other threads which are good for beginners to munch on.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CKY_ROX » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:01 pm

are you looking for a draft stratigy or something else, there have been plenty of other posts that are axeing abuot draft stratgy, please explain

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Amatter32 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:50 pm

I'm not sure, I usually have a pretty good team after the draft. Then it goes downhill, and I rarely get inuries so that's not the reason. I even check the bye weeks( I'm like the only guy who does in my league).
Amatter32

Postby Dreadpaul » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:20 pm

Amatter32 wrote:I even check the bye weeks( I'm like the only guy who does in my league).

I check the bye weeks too and try to align them... selecting all players who have their bye in, say, week 9. Yeah, I give up one loss each season, but am able to field a full roster of studs every other week. No bye-week fillers anywhere! Yep, that's my motto.
Our purpose on this planet is to laugh. For in Hell we shall not be able to and in Heaven it would not be proper.
Dreadpaul
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Great Gambini » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:25 pm

Dreadpaul wrote:
Amatter32 wrote:I even check the bye weeks( I'm like the only guy who does in my league).

I check the bye weeks too and try to align them... selecting all players who have their bye in, say, week 9. Yeah, I give up one loss each season, but am able to field a full roster of studs every other week. No bye-week fillers anywhere! Yep, that's my motto.

Interesting strategy. I've never actually tried it, but have wondered if it might work. Seems like it would. I 'm not the kind who drafts based on byes, I don't worry too much about them...it's more about how the player plays and not which week he doesn't, at least in my book.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:27 pm

Dreadpaul wrote:

I'd never do that, because I'm always looking for trades to improve my team, and I wouldn't bother "aligning" the byes if I know my team will not stay in tact.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mr. Armstrong » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:29 pm

I started last year off with the worst record and lowest point total in the league through 4 games. My draft had gone pretty well and I managed to find the right combination of talent/potential, but injuries and inconsistencys hurt me early in the season.

By week 12, helped by waiver wire picks up like Rudi Johnson (replaced Dillon), Brian Westbrook(Staley), and Keenan McCardell(J.Porter) I managed to secure myself a spot in the playoffs and went on to take second in my league.

At the end of the season my roster wasn't even ranked in the top half of the league, but I had amassed a record 11-6 for the season.

From my experience over the past few years I've played FFL I think the five most important aspects to winning rank in this order:

1. Drafting your team
2. Scouting the waiver wire
3. Luck
4. Playing matchups (studs always play no matter what)
5. Sending in your lineup each week

P.S. Don't even worry about the bye weeks until you start picking up your backups. Exception: your #1 and #2 RB should have different bye weeks or you can pretty much chalk that week up for a loss.
Mr. Armstrong

Return to Football Talk