Has Green Bay just gone stupid? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Has Green Bay just gone stupid?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Has Green Bay just gone stupid?

Postby JrcWy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:23 pm

The packers are still trying to work out a trade deal with to get Tim Couch from the Browns. My question is why bother with the trade? Butch Davis has already renewed his moron-membership by kicking Couch out of the training facilities and all camps. Its obvious he will not be part of the team this season in Cleveland. I understand that Green Bay wants to get Couch sooner than later but if they walk away from the talks, they get the guy free. So my question is why pursue a trade?

This is the latest from fanball.com
Now that the June 1 cut down date has come and gone (and Tim Couch was not released) the Packers and Browns have resumed trade talks concerning the quarterback. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that the two sides spoke again on Tuesday following a recent lull in the negotiations. As of late Tuesday night, however, Packers vice president of player finance Andrew Brandt told the paper that it was difficult to predict whether a deal could be worked out soon.

Views
The Browns want a draft pick, the Packers want a two-year contract, and Couch wants a one-year deal. Green Bay is starting another minicamp this week and would love to get something done in time for Couch to take part in some of their workouts so that he could get a head start on training camp. Perhaps they will give some ground in order to hasten the process. We'll keep you posted.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:28 pm

The Browns are just trying to get something for him...I'm sure the Packers know that he might be let go for nothing at some point. They're just playing the game until Cleveland finally gives up and releases him.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bottled Aggression » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:28 pm

Maybe they know something about Favre that they are not talking about. I'm not sure why they are trying so hard to get Couch though.

I bet the only reason the Browns kept Couch was to get some kind of compensation instead of just releasing him.
Bottled Aggression
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby hayesb26 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:23 pm

Bottled Aggression wrote:I bet the only reason the Browns kept Couch was to get some kind of compensation instead of just releasing him.

Wow, I had no idea ;-7 ;-)

Seriously though, I have no idea why Green Bay would want Couch at all, much less give up a draft pick or so for the guy..
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby smackthefirst » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:09 pm

Plus if he's released, theres a chance another team could pick him up. I know this is unlikely, but always possible.
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby slowkidz » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:11 am

hayesb26 wrote:Seriously though, I have no idea why Green Bay would want Couch at all, much less give up a draft pick or so for the guy..

one thing is Ron Wolfe. when he was in Cleveland, one of his duties was to evaluate the QBs on the roster. there was something he liked in Couch, but he never went into detail. Wolfe still has a good relationship with GB. Kinda funny that after Wolfe leaves Cleveland, GB calls up and says "Hey...uh..We heard you might be moving Couch and we could use a backup." Coincidence, I think not.

also...Butch has said, and i most believe he will, hold Couch until the last possible moment before releasing him. With Baltimore now in the hunt for a QB, and no i'm not counting Kordella, BD really wants to pick and choose where Couch goes from here. Make no mistake about it, Couch isn't coming back to Cleveland. If he knows what's best for his future, he'd stop fooling around and agree to terms with GB, since it's Couch's ego that's holding the deal up.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:05 am

Personally I would rather have Vinnie over Couch.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:10 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Personally I would rather have Vinnie over Couch.

Not with Favre starting. I'd want the younger guy with something to prove. You give Couch a decent backup QBs pay, with a contract for multiple years insuring him the opporunity to take over when Favre retires. I think Favre's still only playing because of his loyalty to the team, seeing how they'd be screwed royally without him at this point. Couch could probably work out a deal for a low paying contract that has big incentives if he does well as a starter. For a guy who has been QBBC his whole career and on a losing team, I cant see how he could pass up an opportunity to take over Favre's legacy.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:12 am

I would look at if they think they have a shot at the Superbowl then I would rather have Vinnie. Vinnie is proven can win a few games if need be. You don't know if Couch could. But looks like he is going to Dallas so this really doesn't matter.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:34 am

maddog60 wrote:
SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Personally I would rather have Vinnie over Couch.

I'd want the younger guy with something to prove. You give Couch a decent backup QBs pay, with a contract for multiple years insuring him the opporunity to take over when Favre retires. Couch could probably work out a deal for a low paying contract that has big incentives if he does well as a starter. For a guy who has been QBBC his whole career and on a losing team, I cant see how he could pass up an opportunity to take over Favre's legacy.

This is exactly what GB is offering Couch. Right now it's a 2yr contract as a Backup, one that would make him the highest paid Backup QB. Couch doesn't want the deal. He only wants to do a one year deal in GB because he feels he should be starting and not holding a clipboard. It would behoove Couch to take the clipboard and learn from a great QB for a year or two...but like I said, his inflated ego is getting in the way of things. :-t
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Next

Return to Football Talk