Where do you rank Gonzo, Heap, Shockey in non-TE leagues? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Where do you rank Gonzo, Heap, Shockey in non-TE leagues?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Where do you rank Gonzo, Heap, Shockey in non-TE leagues?

Postby nsulham » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:22 am

Since they seem to be the holy trinity of fantasy TE's, where do you mix these guys in with the regular WR crop?
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:01 am

I think most guys wouldn't mind taking Gonzalez in the late 3rd round, which would rank him up near the top 10 WR's! If you're drafting that low anyway, your receiver corps isn't going to have one of the "high impact" receivers you know is going to blow away the competition. You are almost guaranteed a major advantage with Tony as your TE.

Shockey and Heap would come later, probably at the end of the top 25 WR's. This would translate to about the 5th round.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:27 am

i wouldnt put any TE in the top 40 of a wr list. 3rd round? 5th round? 15 th or 16th round maybe for me, but i doubt it even then.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:05 am

Pete123444 wrote:i wouldnt put any TE in the top 40 of a wr list. 3rd round? 5th round? 15 th or 16th round maybe for me, but i doubt it even then.

40th ranked WR in my league= Bobby Shaw (62 points)
Tony Gonzalez = 113 points (aka laverneus coles)

He's the only exception in a modest scoring league.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:16 am

man i really have a mess. i have shaw ranked in the 80's
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:20 am

Am I missing the point of the original question? I assumed you meant where these three stack up compared to the production of wide receviers. Therefore, you were asking where they should be drafted in comparison to all other WR's.

Wide receivers catch the ball; so do TE's - and some of them catch it a heck of a lot more than other WR's.

In terms of production, last year Tony Gonzalez had the 19th highest amount of receiving yards (916 - that's a hell of a lot better than a whole lot of receivers), and only 3 receivers had more TD's than Tony did (10).

Heap had almost 700 yards and Shockey got about 500 in 9 games. Had Shockey played the whole year, he most likely would have been in the 700-800 yard range. 39 WR's had over 700 yards last year...

But, you start 2 or 3 WR's and only one TE - I'd much rather have one of these guys than someone that can't even outproduce my #3 WR, which are picked in rounds 5 through 10. Therefore in fantasy-land, they belong among the top 25 receivers.

Now, if you're in a league where you don't play a TE and just use them as WR's, I would mark them down a few spots, but Gonzo still needs picked in the top 20 receivers.

Pete, you would let Gonzalez slide all the way down to the 15th round of a draft and take someone like Robert Ferguson ahead of him (no offense Packer fans)? If Tony were still on the board that low, I'd probably faint and then laugh at all the other teams.

If you don't believe me, take a look at some of the mock drafts...there's no way Gonzalez is around past round 4 or the other two around past round 6.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:30 am

i went to antsports and pulled up the results of their mocks. in a 10 team league with no TE required;

gonzo ranked 25th avg draft pos is 7.03
shockey ranked 40th avg draft pos is 10.06
heap ranked 43rd avg draft pos is 12.02

so i was wrong i stand corrected, gonzo is the exception at 25.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:33 am

Those are very reasonable estimates. Gonzalez still might be a tad low, but he's surely a top 25 guy in a no TE league.

Good find Pete! ;-D
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:20 am

The only TE I would even consider drafting is Gonzo.

I wouldn't even bother with Shockey or Heap.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:50 am

I would take Gonzo as early as late 5/early 6, and he's a steal if he's around in the 8th....

I would take Shockey and Heap in late 10/early 11, and they're steals by round 13....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk