Shhh let this guy sleep

Postby nsulham » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:20 pm

Encouraging news on Eric Moulds from the Buffalo paper:

The burst is back
Healthy hamstring has Moulds surging

By ALLEN WILSON
News Sports Reporter
6/3/2004

Eric Moulds came off the line of scrimmage, made a sharp cut and snatched a pass out of the air without breaking stride.
The injured groin that hindered Moulds last season is healthy again, and he couldn't be happier.

"Physically, I feel pretty good," Moulds said after Buffalo Bills minicamp, which resumes today. "This is probably the best I've felt (since the injury). I think the minicamp we had earlier I really wasn't 100 percent. But in between those little times off I think got healthy.

"And I feel healthy. (Middle linebacker) London Fletcher came to me and said he saw me on film and I looked like the Eric Moulds of old, so that made me feel good and feel pretty comfortable with the way the injury came along."

Moulds was a shell of his Pro Bowl self most of last season after slightly tearing his groin muscle in the Bills' Oct. 5 win over Cincinnati.

He still managed to lead the Bills with 64 catches and 780 yards despite missing three games, but he didn't have the same explosive burst off the snap or the moves to elude defenders.

Most of all, he wasn't the big-play threat the Bills' offense desperately needed.

"It was frustrating because I couldn't go out and do the things I was used to," Moulds said. "I think the most frustrating thing was I could only go one way, and that was straight ahead. Even when I turned a little bit you feel like it's going to pull again. It was a situation where I was thinking about it most of the time when I was playing, so it kind of took away from the way I played. Now that it's healed up, I can go out and play football like I used to."

The injury didn't require surgery. Much of his rehabilitation consisted of rest and ice treatments. He eventually was able to do exercises to strengthen the muscle, but it took time to get over concern about the injury.

"It was so tough to get up for things because when you work a muscle like that you still feel like it's going to pull," Moulds said. "It was frustrating from my standpoint and the trainers' because they didn't want to push me too fast and have a setback."

The real test was getting on the practice field. Would he have the same burst off the snap? Would he be able to make cuts without a hint of pain and discomfort?

The answer is in the way Moulds is running around and making plays in minicamp.

"Eric looks good," coach Mike Mularkey said. "He tested it the day we had the open practice for the fans, which I think he did purposely. Quit waiting. Let's find out where it is. We did some more follow-up medical checkups really to just confirm to him and us that he is healed and can start playing. I know a player has to have the confirmation, especially with an injury like that, that everything is OK."

Moulds didn't spend his entire offseason waiting for his leg to heal. Judging by the increased size of his arms and upper body, he spent an awful lot of time in the weight room.

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, but Moulds feels a stronger body will result in a healthier one as he enters his ninth season.

"I want to get back and get my body a lot stronger than it was in the past," he said. "It's hard to escape injury, but at the same time I'm going to try to limit it as much as I possibly can because I feel like I need to be on the field to help the team win. That's why I lifted a little more weight and got a little bit stronger so hopefully my body will hold up."

I know he's not exactly a sleeper but the production he can give you if he's indeed back, compared to where he'll be picked in a lot of drafts, is great value---we're looking at a possible Top 5 guy who could be had a good bit later.

Just hope he doesn't turn into a Mini-Boston with all the workout stuff :-/
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby awwchrist » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:46 pm

God Drew Bledsoe sucks.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:54 pm

hes cracking the top 10 in many drafts already so I wouldnt say hed be a huge steal in all leagues. Although, I do agree he has a good chancing of coming back and yeah, bledsoe sucks
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:55 pm

It's an even number year, Moulds will be a top 10 WR again ;-D
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:03 pm

Im not a fan of Bledsoe, this yr, or last for that matter, so Moulds could be hit hard if Bledsoe fails to produce.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby PhinsFan » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:11 pm

awwchrist wrote:God Drew Bledsoe sucks.

Ignorance is bliss
PhinsFan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby CC » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:29 pm

PhinsFan wrote:

Ignorance is bliss

What?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:01 pm

PhinsFan wrote:

Ignorance is bliss

You argue he doesn't suck.

I'll argue he does.

Go.

( of course I'm talking about fantasy football wise. In some aspects I suppose he's a functional NFL QB ).
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:03 pm

i am on the side that he has lost it. I don't think Bledsoe will have that great of a year. But as a backup QB on your squad he wouldn't be too bad. But if you need him all year, and to be consistent, you better have Rbs that can carry you or be ready for missing the playoffs.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby footballfreak449 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:12 pm

That is Mould's biggest problem, but Bledsoe could (emphasis on could) bounce back to his 03 form, but I wouldn't count on it.
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Football Talk