Need some help in post season type league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Need some help in post season type league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need some help in post season type league

Postby fntsyrookie » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:51 pm

Here are the rules:

Good Morning Everyone,
I hope you all had enjoyable holiday's. I am assembling a Post Season
Fantasy league and wanted to get a head count on who would like to take part
in it this year.

The rules are very simple.

Each team drafts 2 of the following -- QB's, TE's, Kicker's and Defense.
Each team also drafts 3 RB's and 3 WR's. All players start on all teams
each week. Teams may draft the same players. Your players will continue to
accumulate points until their team is knocked out of the playoffs. The
fantasy team that scores the most points wins the entire pot.

The scoring is system is as follows:
SCORING:

Quarterbacks: 1 point for every 30 yards passing
3 points for every TD pass 1-39 yds
6 points for every TD pass 40 yds or longer
2 points for every successful 2-point conversion
6 points for every TD run 1-39 yds
9 points for every TD run 40 yds or longer
2 points for every 25 yds rushing

Running backs: 2 points for every 25 yds rushing or receiving
6 points for every TD run/reception 1-39 yds
9 points for every TD run/reception 40 yds or longer
2 points for every 2-point conversion rushing or receiving

Wide Receivers: 2 points for every 25 yds rushing or receiving

Tight Ends: 2 points for every 15 yds rushing or receiving

Kickers: 1 point for every extra point conversion
3 points for every field goal 1-39 yds
4 points for every field goal 40-49 yds
5 points for every field goal 50-59 yds
6 points for every field goal 60 yds or longer

Defense
Special Teams: 1 point for every sack
2 points for every fumble recovery
2 points for every interception
2 points for every safety
5 points for every shut out
No points for blocked field goals or punts unless they are returned
for a Touchdown where the yardage format will factor points awarded

It is pretty similar to the FF post season game here, except that I can continue to use players as long as their teams keep winning. So it would be beneficial to myself to pick players on teams that I think are going to win, especially in this first week. On the other hand I'm going to want some players that have byes this week.

This is what I've come up with and need some help.

QBs Gannon and Favre
TEs Shockey and Jolley
Ks Akers and Janikowski
Ds Bucs and Pittsburgh
RBs A. Green, Barber, and Garner
WRs T.O. Ward, and Toomer

Now as you can see I'm figuring on Oakland to go all the way (sorry Gutt) but honestly I don't know if that is a wise descion. I also don't have any Eagles on here (except Akers) because I honestly don't think that they will go all the way. This is going to sound weird, but if McNabb plays they will lose. Just a hunch. What does everybody think of these picks. Feel free to be brutally honest as this is going to cost me 25 bucks to enter and it is winner take all. Daddy wants the payday!! Thanks guys.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:48 pm

Just curious Rook....If you think Oakland goes all the way, then why nab Pitt D? I agree, they are a tough D, but if you count them out, or even da Bucs out, then what will you have in the end? Just curious....

I like what you have so far....I agree with the Raiders. They seem like a very good choice thus far to get to the SB. The Eagles are still up in the air with McNabb, but I see the NYG playing strong and giving them a run for the money. Their D hasn't been too shabby lately...definitely worth a look at...Let me look over some more and I'll see if I can drum up any other observations....Besides the obvious that is...No Brownies...Rook I'm ashamed!! :,-(
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Arlo » Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:59 pm

Looks like a very solid roster. (Incidentally, your picks are pretty similiar to what Dan suggests in hisplayoff cheat sheets).

I think that with Barber at RB, I'd rather spread the risk (unless you're very confident about the Giants) and take Driver instead of Toomer, especially if you're leaving Franks off your TE list.

In a winner-take-all league, it's sometimes best to gamble heavily on a small number of teams. If those teams are eliminated early, it doesn't matter that you're near the bottom of the standings, but if your hunches are right, you'll almost certainly win, especially against teams that spread their picks. Just a thought - there are lots of ways to play this. Looks like a very fun format!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:05 pm

I agree with Arlo about Driver...He would be a good WR to have. I'd also like to state that Maddox tends to go for Burress first and Ward second. I like Ward. He's an all around player...I'm just uncertain how many looks he'll get come crunch time...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby fntsyrookie » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:13 pm

Sorry Slow. Maybe I'll have more faith in the Brownies next year.I can't figure out who is going to come out of the NFC so that's why I sort of spread the wealth around there. For instance I have a couple of Packers, Giants, and a Forty niner along with Akers, along with the Bucs D. So as long as Philly or Atlanta doesn't make the Superbowl I'll have some sort of representation there. Call me crazy but I think that the Giants may go to the big dance. Of course I am assuming that Oakland is going to take the cake. I didn't put Driver on there because I thought that he was still doubtful for the game with a bum shoulder. Has his position changed? Just when you think you know the regular FF scheme a game like this comes around and suddenly I'm truly a rookie all over again. Pretty humbling. As for the D's I was just planning on getting as many points out of them as possible while the teams are still playing. I think Pitt will go to the AFC championship game so there will be some points by them, and the Bucs may or may not make it that far. I guess I was just planning on getting as many points as possible from the Ds and not having one (unless the Bucs go) in the Superbowl.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slowkidz » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:26 pm

Driver is still listed as probable...But one would have to assume that GB should beat the falcons on the frozen tundra and Driver will be back to play the next game, if not this one...that at least will set u up with another WR...kinda like a safety net...but that's just my opinion. Go with your first instincts...usually they are good ones!!

And remember what my grams used to say about opinions..."Opinions are like a#$%^les...Everyone has em, and most of em stink!" God rest her soul... :,-(
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby fntsyrookie » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:27 pm

Thank you and your grandma's soul for the wisdom. :-)
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk