George stays a Titan - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

George stays a Titan

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Guru » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:24 pm

Football Newbie wrote:at least hes not an eagle... i have high hopes for westbrook and george woulda ruined them methinks.

I agree.
The Guru
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flux » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:09 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I'm just glad to see that Eddie will retire in a Titans uniform.

Yeah thats how I feel as well. Our selfishness for fantasy football often skews whats important in reality. Eddie was the heart and soul of that that for a long while and he deserves to retire a Titan. Im glad he swallowed his pride to do this ;-D

And I say this actually owning C. Brown
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pete123444 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:02 am

cooleyhigh wrote:The article says it will be finalized around June 20 for around 1.5 million a year. Glad my draft has not started yet and thank goodness no George in Dallas.

lol i could quote just about every response to this,but i thought this might be the best one.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Adlaw » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:05 am

He's done!! Stick a fork in him!
Adlaw
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby cooleyhigh » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:35 pm

Pete123444 wrote:
cooleyhigh wrote:The article says it will be finalized around June 20 for around 1.5 million a year. Glad my draft has not started yet and thank goodness no George in Dallas.

lol i could quote just about every response to this,but i thought this might be the best one.

Len P is usually reliable. Anyway I don't know what George is thinking. It's not like Dallas is giving him huge money 2 million instead of 1.5. Instead of splitting carries and mentoring Brown he is now doing the same for Jones.

I guess he is still pissed at Ten. for what they did to Godfrey after he agreed to restructure. Also a dispute over a past bonus?? Anyway one more reason this was the worst draft class of all time for fantasy football.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:42 pm

Um, on ESPN.com it has George going to the Cowboys.

see article below:

ESPN.com news services
IRVING, Texas -- Eddie George agreed to a one-year contract with the Cowboys for a base salary of $660,000 with a signing bonus of $1.54 million, sources have told ESPN's Ed Werder.

"He's a great fit for us, and he will complement an offense that will be about power running," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said.

With incentives, the deal is worth up to $3 million and comes just two days after George was released by the Titans.

"He's going to get a check from Jerry [Jones] that will be worth more than the Titans were going to pay him for the whole year,'' said agent Lamont Smith, who represents George.

George's deal is pending a physical, a source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press.

The Eddie George release by the Titans affects not only Eddie, but other players. Question is, how?
First, the deal with George: Eddie is a few years past his prime, and was barely a top 20 fantasy running back anyway. That won't change in Dallas. Draft him as a third or fourth running back, but don't expect another 1,000-yard, 5-TD season.

In Tennessee, the first thought is to run out and grab Chris Brown ASAP. Wrong. The immediate signing of Antowain Smith kills Brown's chances for stardom. Look for the Titans to use Smith much the same way they did George. And really, in that system, with the proper amount of carries, Smith could rush for 1,000 yards and put up the same stats George did last season. As for Brown, he should see more game action than last season, but not enough to be fantasy-viable.

-- Eric Karabell
Purchase ESPN Insider!
FFL | League Manager

George was cut Wednesday, at his request, after he rejected Tennessee's final bid. He left the Titans after eight seasons and more than 10,000 yards.

"I see this team coming up on the rise," George said at a news conference introducing him. "There was a lot of places to look at, but I see that Dallas is committed to the run, and I think I can help with that."

George's only free-agent visit was to Dallas. Negotiations moved so quickly because the relationship works well for both sides.

The Cowboys had plenty of room under the salary cap and, a week before opening training camp, they were still looking for a veteran running back to ease the burden on Julius Jones, a second-round pick from Notre Dame who was expected to be the starter.

Regardless of who starts, both will get plenty of carries. The better George does -- and the Cowboys are certainly hoping his competitive nature and desire to prove he's still an elite runner will draw out his best -- the slower they can bring along Jones.

Although George has never missed a game in his 128-game career, he's been slowed by injuries typical for someone who's averaged 21.4 carries per game. He turns 31 in September.

The pounding has reduced his effectiveness. After averaging 3.9 yards per carry his first five seasons, he's been at 3.2 over the last three seasons. He was at 3.3 last year, when he gained 1,031 yards and topped the 10,000-yard mark for his career.

George's 2003 numbers are similar to what Troy Hambrick produced last season when he underwhelmingly replaced Emmitt Smith. Hambrick has since been released.

The difference is that the Cowboys believe George can still be valuable if used properly, especially as the lead back in short-yardage and goal-line situations. He scored 12 touchdowns two seasons ago. George also has averaged 8.3 yards on two receptions per game for his career.

While Cowboys coach Bill Parcells is very high on Jones, he also values proven veterans such as George. George provides other qualities Parcells values: the willingness to play hurt, good size for his position (6-foot-3, 235 pounds) and good hands (one lost fumble the last two seasons).

By signing someone of George's age and experience, the Cowboys are seemingly reversing field from last offseason, when they cut Smith. Other factors influenced that decision, such as the salary and George knowing he'll be sharing time and mentoring Jones.

George also is returning to the state where his career began. The former Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State played his rookie season, 1996, in Houston before the franchise moved to Tennessee.

George probably will be able to keep the No. 27 he's worn his entire career as it currently belongs to rookie cornerback Bruce Thornton.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:49 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Um, on ESPN.com it has George going to the Cowboys.

Thanks for the update :-? . The original post...an article by Len P was made on June 4th.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby terpfan » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:01 pm

haha, this needs a lock.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk