ESPN NFL 2K5 (ps2/xbox) for 20 bucks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

ESPN NFL 2K5 (ps2/xbox) for 20 bucks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MCG321 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:14 am

Shatner8 wrote:Havent Played the Football games, but ive always gotten the basketball games and they were always superb, so i wouldnt expect anything less from the football games. I remember hearing last year that ESPN was just as good as Madden. I think most people just buy Madden because of the name(I know i do)

Madden could be called Josh Booty Football for all I care...the high quality of the game itself is what keeps the reputation so high.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shatner8 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:25 pm

MCG321 wrote:
Shatner8 wrote:Havent Played the Football games, but ive always gotten the basketball games and they were always superb, so i wouldnt expect anything less from the football games. I remember hearing last year that ESPN was just as good as Madden. I think most people just buy Madden because of the name(I know i do)

Madden could be called Josh Booty Football for all I care...the high quality of the game itself is what keeps the reputation so high.

I didnt mean that actual name "Madden", I meant the reputation that the name Madden holds for developing quality games every year. People are quick to dismiss games like ESPN because Madden is out there, and even though it may not have the same "Name" as Madden, its still a quality game.
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:38 pm

Shatner8 wrote:
MCG321 wrote:

I didnt mean that actual name "Madden", I meant the reputation that the name Madden holds for developing quality games every year. People are quick to dismiss games like ESPN because Madden is out there, and even though it may not have the same "Name" as Madden, its still a quality game.

I see what you're saying to an extent, but it's not like Madden is one of those franchises that lives off it's prior hits like Tomb Raider. Madden continues to put out the best game every year.

Like you've implied though, I will buy Madden this year without even trying any of the other football games out there. Then again, I'm heavily involved in a madden league and wouldn't leave it over something like this.

The thing with Madden is you always know you're going to get a great game because the gameplay core is so solid. All the other games can add all the features they like, but they're still figuring out their gameplay from year to year with drastic changes while madden makes minor tweaks to theirs.

I'm not gonna full-out blindly buy a game based on its namesake, but until I see a review for a madden game that says otherwise, I'll continue to buy it without playing it.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:23 pm

DUKE wrote:
DUKE wrote:If anyone has played the ESPN game (last yrs. version), how is it? I've heard their presentation is great, but how is the game play?

someone has to have played this game...... :-? .........come on peeps

The Canacuna owns the game, y0 (and every game in the series since it premiered on the Dreamcast in 1999).

The presentation is really nice. It's basically put together like a Sunday night game on ESPN. The gameplay has improved every year and I would rank it second only to Madden. I could go in depth, but I think this review of last years game covers things a lot better than I ever could.

ESPN NFL Football Review

The one thing that really irked me was the franchise mode was so far behind that of Madden's. Over the years, SEGA has made some nice improvements to the franchise mode (although for the most part, it was behind Madden's), but last year it just kind of stalled and Madden jumped ahead - more than ever before.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby The Great Gambini » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:32 pm

Canacuna wrote:
DUKE wrote:
DUKE wrote:If anyone has played the ESPN game (last yrs. version), how is it? I've heard their presentation is great, but how is the game play?

someone has to have played this game...... :-? .........come on peeps

The Canacuna owns the game, y0 (and every game in the series since it premiered on the Dreamcast in 1999).

The presentation is really nice. It's basically put together like a Sunday night game on ESPN. The gameplay has improved every year and I would rank it second only to Madden. I could go in depth, but I think this review of last years game covers things a lot better than I ever could.

ESPN NFL Football Review

The one thing that really irked me was the franchise mode was so far behind that of Madden's. Over the years, SEGA has made some nice improvements to the franchise mode (although for the most part, it was behind Madden's), but last year it just kind of stalled and Madden jumped ahead - more than ever before.

I agree, I loved the presentation, but franchise got dull. The gameplay was decent...much different than Madden, so I was entertained when I rented ESPN.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MCG321 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Shatner8 wrote:
MCG321 wrote:

I see what you're saying to an extent, but it's not like Madden is one of those franchises that lives off it's prior hits like Tomb Raider. Madden continues to put out the best game every year.

Exactly. Unlike Tomb Raider, Madden has given us a reason to just trust the game and not worry about renting before buying.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby St. Brian » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:57 am

That's awesome. The two games have always been really close in terms of quality, and with ESPN doing that big a price drop I pretty much gotta buy it. I'll be curious to see what that does for their sales. Can a comparable product at a much lower price compare to the big name recognition that Madden has? This season should be interesting.
"We sucked. We couldn't do diddly-poo out there..." Jim Mora
St. Brian
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Flockers » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:46 am

St. Brian wrote:That's awesome. The two games have always been really close in terms of quality, and with ESPN doing that big a price drop I pretty much gotta buy it. I'll be curious to see what that does for their sales. Can a comparable product at a much lower price compare to the big name recognition that Madden has? This season should be interesting.

No. Madden is still the best sports game out there.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to Video Games