Peterson. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to San Francisco 49ers

Peterson.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Peterson.

Postby Guttpuppy » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:42 pm

Associated Press
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers offered Julian Peterson the largest contract in franchise history, but general manager Terry Donahue doesn't expect it will be enough to sign the All-Pro linebacker to a long-term deal.

Donahue did not reveal details of the offer, but he said it would include a team-record $15.5 million signing bonus.

Peterson has been a no-show at each of San Francisco's three spring minicamps. Negotiations with Peterson's agents, Kevin and Carl Poston, have been at a standstill since the Niners placed the franchise tag on Peterson in February.

The Niners made that move after Peterson declined a package that Donahue said would make the four-year veteran the second-highest paid linebacker in the NFL. The contract would trail only the seven-year, $50 million deal signed by Baltimore's Ray Lewis in 2002. That deal included a $19 million signing bonus.

"I think we've made our intentions really clear," Donahue said. "Julian Peterson is an important part of the organization, and he is a player we would like to have here for the long term or we would have never made that kind of offer to him."

Last season, Peterson led the Niners with seven sacks and three forced fumbles and was second on the team with 144 tackles. He was named to the Pro Bowl for the second consecutive year.

The franchise tag prohibits Peterson from negotiating with any team except the 49ers.

He has yet to sign the team's one-year tender offer of just over $6 million, which is the average salary of the five highest-paid players at Peterson's position.

Negotiations between Peterson and the 49ers cannot begin again until July 15.

Donahue anticipates Peterson will hold out when training camp begins July 30.

"Getting Julian Peterson into camp is important to us," Donahue said. "But at the same time, it is what it is. There really isn't a whole lot to discuss. I do not expect us to be in heavy negotiations [after July 15] or anything like that. We've gone where we can go. We've made a very, very competitive offer."

Peterson's agents reportedly were asking for a deal that included $30 million in guaranteed money before talks broke off in February.

When asked Wednesday whether that figure was accurate, Donahue replied, "I don't know. I lost track."
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:49 pm

The Postons are ruining football, asking for 30 million in guaranteed money is ludicrous, 15.5 million is an enormous sum of money and Peterson should definetly accept that offer.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ibeckhami » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:34 pm

woww...
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote: asking for 30 million in guaranteed money is ludicrous

ok ya hes accepting it... and if he doesnt thenn... i dont know what this world is coming to..
ibeckhami
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:11 pm

Thats what they want, no chance they'll get it.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:41 pm

Dangit, they better get him signed somehow. He and Andre Carter have to be the defensive leaders for the team this year. Peterson is an awesome player, but he doesn't deserve 30 million dollars! Let's get real.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:57 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Dangit, they better get him signed somehow. He and Andre Carter have to be the defensive leaders for the team this year. Peterson is an awesome player, but he doesn't deserve 30 million dollars! Let's get real.

I agree that he is a leader and future star,but this attitude won't get him anywhere...c'mon,biggest contract in team history?Get real.

I like Parrish and his crooked eyes as a team leader...there's just something about the kid.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:22 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:The Postons are ruining football

Actually that would be the York and Donahue. These two idiots aren't going to be happy until they have completely run one of the flagship franchises of the NFL into the ground. Oh wait, they've already done that.

Shut up and pay him the money Donahue and York! Restore our glory or move over.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:36 pm

This will play out the same way it does for 99.9% of the other players that hold out. As soon as he stands to lose a check, he'll show up.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to San Francisco 49ers