Mid-Round Running Backs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mid-Round Running Backs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mid-Round Running Backs

Postby Warpigs » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:41 pm

What do you guys think is the proper ranking for the mid-line backs. I consider these the backs who will probably be taken in the first round after the "Big Four" of Priest Holmes, LT2, Ahman Green and Portis.

Deuce McAllister: He has been considered a potential elite breakout running back now several years in a row. However, while he can add up the yardage at times, he has trouble getting into the end zone. How will that change? I can dream that it will, but what hard evidence do we have that this year will be his year?

Jamal Lewis: A stud back last year, he did seem to slow down as the year wore on. Will he be a stud back all season this year? Again what proof do we have that this year will see him be an every-week threat. How will his legel problems affect things?

Ricky Williams: Could write a novel on the highs and lows that could come out of him this year. Of course he's a stud runner, but he was majorly overworked last year. Will that start him a step slower this year? How much will the addition of Boston help Williams? How will the QB situation affect him and the questionable Miami O-line?

S. Alexander: Had him the last two years on my team, and loved the weeks he offensively exploded -- however there were a bunch of weeks that he was a non-factor. Will he be a consistent fantasy weapon this year?

Corey Dillon: Everyone has high expectations for him, as do I. However, there are a thousand questions on how the change in teams will affect him. Will he be a top-back this year, or just an average option? When is the earliest you'd draft him? Latest?

Stephen Davis: Nice job last year, but will that continue? When will injuries officially catch up with him? How much will DeShaun Foster take stats away from him?

Fred Taylor: Another one who is overdue for an injury concern, will Taylor continue to be a consistent source of fantasy stats weekly? How will Leftwich's increasing experience under center help Taylor's stats?

Anyway, just wondering on all these. All have the potential to be a top-five running back. However, factoring in all the tangibles, how do you really think they'll end up? I think that this is a very important question for many and I'm eagerly waiting some insight.

(also, does Edge belong with these guys and where?)
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MCG321 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:47 pm

Can't keep Davis in there since he'll be losing a lot of carries.

Also, I'd put Edge ahead of Dillon.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:50 pm

Drop Davis and Dillon a good few. Then insert Edge for them, with Taylor behind them. Personally, I would draft SA over Ricky...only major problems I see
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:24 pm

of the mentioned I feel

Lewis
Alexander
Duece
Ricky
Edge
Taylor
Dillon
Davis
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warpigs » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:38 pm

What kind of reasoning do you have behind your lists? Having a list is nice, but having some explanation is even better. Thanks!
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:07 pm

Lewis - over 2,000 with Boller/Wright at QB and Carcass as the best receiver. Put 11 in the box he will still put up numbers. His lawyers will find a way to keep him on the field Sunday.

Alexander - feature back in what should be a top five offense, more explosive than Edge.

Duece - his receiving numbers put him ahead of the rest, surely he will find the endzone more this year.

Ricky - The talent is there but I feel Miami did nothing to upgrade passing game. Very tight with Edge, gut feeling.

Edge - Not my favorite back but like Alexander a feature back in a great situation.

Taylor - Injuries seem to be behind him, but Toefield will become the third down back due to his continued drops.

Dillon - Could end up surpassing many of these but groin injuries seem to linger from season to season. Will not be the only option as he was in Cincy for his glory days.

Davis - Foster....
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Warpigs » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:14 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:Ricky - The talent is there but I feel Miami did nothing to upgrade passing game. Very tight with Edge, gut feeling.

Will adding David Boston be considered at least somewhat of a passing upgrade? I admit I'm not thrilled that the Dolphin's only answer this season at QB was to get AJ Feely, however Boston should at least in theory spread the defenses out somewhat enough to give Ricky some more holes to run through??
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby CC » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:36 pm

Deuce - Has the yards, had the TDs two years ago, will bring them together this year.

Ricky - Had a down year last year, Boston should spread the field and hopefully the line will play better.

Shaun - He gets the TDs, but not enough yards for my liking.

Jamal - Career year last year, can't and won't duplicate. Good for 1500 and 10 this year.

Edge - Looked to be returning to the Edge of old at the end of last year, he could be a lot higher than this next year.

Freddy - Past the injuries, solid end of the 1st pick.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:40 pm

In theory I guess you are correct. Boston can be as good or bad as he wants to be. He will make many owners look like masterminds or fools this year. I feel his problems go beyond playing weight and don't expect much from him. I also wonder how much Miami will be willing to air it out.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby SteveTaskerintheHall » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:07 pm

Shaun-Seattle will be real good on the offensive side of the ball and he will be more consistent.

Ricky-he was a number one pick in a lot of leagues last year and he had a down year, he will rebound and Boston, if healthy, will help open things for him.

Deuce-Receptions help his cause and the Saints feed him the ball.

Jamal-Last year will be tough to duplicate, but if the defense keeps them in games he will continue to get the ball and produce.

Edge-He looked real good at the end of last year and could get back to top five status at the end of this year.

Taylor-When healthy he is a monster, always scared of his injuries, but the Jags should be good this year.

I wish I knew what was up with my team the BiLLS. If we knew that Henry was going to be the man he would have a hugely successful year. He won't have a broken leg and the line is better in Buffalo for the run, if the passing game gets established Henry could be devastating. He always has been a favorite at the goal line and Mularkey wants a run first offense. The only problem is the lingering question of how much of the offense is going to go to McGahee.
The Buffalo Bills will circle the wagons in 2004!
SteveTaskerintheHall
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk