Anybody else agree with this strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anybody else agree with this strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anybody else agree with this strategy?

Postby steelerfan04 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:28 pm

Everyone knows WR is the deepest position in FF. Every year 5 or 10 WR step up out of nowhere with big seasons (Moss, Boldin, etc.) My strategy this year is to draft RB and QB early throug the first 5 rounds, maybe take 1 proven WR, and then hold of on more WRs until later in the draft, where I would take sleeper players, one of whom is bound to step up and have a good season. What do you think, will this work?
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:35 pm

Why don't ya take a look at this topic: http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55767&highlight=

It should help ya decide
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CC » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:49 pm

I tried it somewhat last year, I had Burress and Price (ugh!) and waited to draft other WRs. I grabbed Stallworth, Santana, Reggie Wayne, Josh Reed and a couple of others. I was hoping one of them would pan out and Moss did, but unfortunately my 2 starters sucked so my WR situation is questionable for this year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:25 pm

Sorry to tell you, but top 5-10 WR's from the past season have a much better chance of having a solid year than a random sleeper WR. Go ahead and take Hasselbeck over Coles and then rely on Troy Brown as your #2 WR. :-b

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:09 pm

What V said.
I like to try to nail 2 feature RBs and a stud WR in the first 3 rounds. Then fill in on the best RBs/WRs the next 2-3 rounds unless a near stud QB falls to me in round 4-5. To ignore WRs hoping to catch lightening in a bottle is suicidal.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby awwchrist » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:46 pm

I will vouch that WR can be a nasty beast to predict. So much of a WR's value comes from touchdowns...which are rarely sustained at a consistant average over a handful of years. The best you can do is evaluate a WR's value to his team's passing game, look at his professional history, and decide if any offseason team changes will effect this season's performance.

THAT being said...I'd rather take a chance that a WR will have another good year than take a chance that a WR will have his first good year.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Poobah » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:20 am

I draft in leagues that don't feature TE, so it makes my strategy pretty easy. In the first six picks I want 3 RB and 3 WR unless a stud QB falls to me at the right spot. After I get those three, I am willing to play the waiting game to find sleeper-type WRs for my bench. But for starters, no, I'm with the majority here....
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby Homeless » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:12 am

awwchrist wrote:I'd rather take a chance that a WR will have another good year than take a chance that a WR will have his first good year.

I concur. But now and then we all try to reinvent the wheel, in pursuit of that easy win scenario :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:15 pm

I'd argue that QB is deeper than WR. Most leagues start at least 2 WR (in most of my leagues, 2 WR are mandatory, 3 are optional), whereas most leagues start only 1 QB.

So IMO, loading up on RBs and WRs in the first 4-6 rounds and delaying the drafting of a QB is the best high-level strategy (of course any strategy should be flexible depending on the flow of the draft).
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:49 pm

Agreed.

The last two years I've waited on a QB and ended up fine (Brady 2 yrs ago, Pennington/Bulger last year).

None of my sleeper WR picks have come through in that same time span. If I didn't draft WR's from the get-go, I would've been screwed beyond beleif at the WR position, and had a minor upgrade (if that) at the QB position....like Bulger to Mcnabb last year, is that even an upgrade?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk