Return to Football Talk

More praises for Bennett

Moderator: Football Moderators

More praises for Bennett

Postby Flux » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:12 am

Bennett primed for big season Over his injuries, Viking has new focus

BY SEAN JENSEN, Pioneer Press

They see a different man now.

Not that Vikings head coach Mike Tice or running-backs coach Dean Dalton had a problem with Michael Bennett before, but the two coaches see subtle — albeit significant — changes to their star running back.

ADVERTISEMENT

After rushing for 1,296 yards in 2002, Bennett missed the first seven games of last season with a foot injury, and he suffered an ankle injury as soon as he showed flashes of his old self late in the season.

Consequently, he has spent nearly all of his offseason at Winter Park, working out and watching film, preparing for what he expects to be his best season yet.

"I'm hoping to win the Super Bowl," Bennett said. "But as far as my goal, I want 1,500 yards rushing and eight to 10 touchdowns."

Tice said Bennett looks better than ever, and he credits Bennett's perspective.

"I think any time a player has the type of injury that causes you to miss an extensive amount of time and could have ended his career, I think you become more grateful and appreciate what you have, which is a career in the National Football League," Tice said. "So there's a different focus there with Michael."

Dalton said Bennett is stepping into a leadership role, and he understands the Vikings' system at an advanced level, something the team was concerned about given his modest playing experience at Wisconsin (he started just one season for the Badgers).

"His confidence is surfacing," Dalton said. "It's evident in our meetings. When we talk football, his understanding of the system and his knowledge of football is so much better."

Bennett is one of about 10 players to purchase a $10,000 computer that enables him to watch digital films, rather than having to convert them to another format.

Dalton added that Bennett is also becoming more of an "overt leader" because of his engaging personality and his placing the team above himself.

With Bennett on the sideline, the Vikings raced to a 6-0 start last season, and veteran Moe Williams and rookie Onterrio Smith provided ample run production. Dalton applauded Bennett for how he handled that period.

"Being a competitor, he wanted to be out there," Dalton said. "But being a team guy, he was supportive of his teammates' success. There was no animosity at all."

Dalton acknowledged that Bennett provides something neither Williams nor Smith can: world-class sprinter speed.

"He gives us home-run ability on every snap," Dalton added. "So getting him back is fantastic."

In January, Bennett planned to train as a sprinter. But when the Vikings hired strength and conditioning coaches Kurtis Schultz and Mark Ellis, Bennett decided to spend his offseason at Winter Park. He had worked with Ellis, who specializes in speed and quickness, and he was intrigued by Schultz's unconventional workout regimen.

Both coaches have helped him become faster than ever, Bennett said.

Bennett thought he had lost his speed last year.

"I thought I'd have to retire," he said. "I was thinking the worst."

He added that depression set in when he sprained his ankle while playing the Seattle Seahawks.

"I was like, 'What's next?' "

He rebounded, however, and quickly returned to 100 percent early in the offseason. Now he's preparing himself for training camp, and he expects this season to be, well, different.

"We got some exciting free agents, and I'm happy that I'll be healthy going into training camp," Bennett said. "We're really looking to turn heads, and I think this is the year for us."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=knight-bennettprimedforbigseason&prov=knight&type=lgns

Is it just me or is Bennett the 10th person to predict 1500 yds for himself this offseason?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:16 am

I am targeting Bennett this yr. He should be a pretty good #2 RB this yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SteveTaskerintheHall » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:34 am

I Had him two years ago and he was very effective. If his training is on track and he is faster I am excited about it. His injuries have been back to back and suggest an early Fred Taylor quality, but I would risk him as a later drafted 2nd RB and be very excited about it.
The Buffalo Bills will circle the wagons in 2004!
SteveTaskerintheHall
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:46 am

And yet again I am happy I have attacked him and let the other MIN RBs alone
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:47 am

Both coaches have helped him become faster than ever, Bennett said

Faster than ever, huh? I like the sound of that! :-) :-) :-)
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SteveTaskerintheHall » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:48 am

NittanyLions wrote:And yet again I am happy I have attacked him and let the other MIN RBs alone

By "attacking" him do you mean focusing on him in drafts or not being a fan of his on message boards?
SteveTaskerintheHall
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:08 am

I was hoping he might slide down to the 3rd round but all I ever hear is good reports, albiet some of it comes from Tice. If he stays healthy the Vikes are the odds on favs to win that division.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Homeless » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:23 am

If Moe Williams breaks his leg i'd grab Bennett in a heartbeat, but those lost TD's scare me.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby SteveTaskerintheHall » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:30 am

How old is Moe Williams? And is Onterrio not suited to Goal line situations?
SteveTaskerintheHall
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby deftdelivery » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:07 am

SteveTaskerintheHall wrote:How old is Moe Williams? And is Onterrio not suited to Goal line situations?

Onterrio = overrated
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk