K. Barlow -- Overhyped? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

K. Barlow -- Overhyped?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bungle613 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:09 pm

The one thing that always pops into my head when I hear the name Barlow is... Why couldn't he take the starting job away from a medicore (not the right word but you get my point) RB in Hearst?

Hearst was good but I can't get my head around Barlow being a possible star when he wasn't the star on the team with Hearst there. He never really showed anything until the end of last season. That was alot of carries over the last 2 years and 2 training camps where he couldn't get the starting spot.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:19 pm

Eh...I think people put too much emphasis on the "How come he couldn't unseat Hearst" arguement.

I mean come on, in a WCO Hearst (since 2001 and splitting time with barlow) only managed to put up these numbers:

'01 - 1550 combined yards 300 touches 5 TDs
'02 - 1300 combined yards 260 touches 9 TDs
'03 - 1000 combined yards 200 touches 4 TDs (12 games)

pretty damn good for a WCO back.

And the season before he went down to injury -

2100 combined yards 340 touches 9 TDs.

So tell me again why The 9ers would sit him?
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby doubleJ_ffc » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:05 pm

Barlow is a early round risk, but if he can stay healthy he will easily get at least 1400 total yards and 7 td's.
"Why would I argue with my own conscience over the truth? That's like me telling myself don't tell me what to do." - Canibus
doubleJ_ffc
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Vikes_Fan2823 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:06 pm

maddog60 wrote: And, 1000 yards is not a solid #2 RB. Anthony Thomas had over 1000 rushign yards last year.

I'd have to disagree with you there, considering that last year, only 18 RB's had over 1000 yards rushing.

I guess it also depends on the number of people in your league. If you have a 10- or 12-team league, than 1000 yards makes for a great 2nd RB. But if you are in an 8-team league, he would probably be a 3rd RB, if your lineup even goes that far.
16-team PPR Keeper League
QB: T. Romo, V. Young
RB: M. Turner, B. Wells, T. Hightower
WR: A. Johnson, J. Ford, N. Burleson, A. Roberts, J. Simpson
TE: D. Clark, J. Cook
K: R. Gould
D/ST: Cardinals
Vikes_Fan2823
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Sandwich » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:11 pm

Granted there are a lot of question marks with regard to the 9ers this year but look at it this way. He is a young feature back in a non-RBBC situation. That alone makes him a top 20 RB. He performed well last year when given the oportunity and "could" be a good option. If you have 12 or more teams in your league he is still a nice gamble as your #2 RB.
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:42 pm

Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:
maddog60 wrote: And, 1000 yards is not a solid #2 RB. Anthony Thomas had over 1000 rushign yards last year.

I'd have to disagree with you there, considering that last year, only 18 RB's had over 1000 yards rushing.

I guess it also depends on the number of people in your league. If you have a 10- or 12-team league, than 1000 yards makes for a great 2nd RB. But if you are in an 8-team league, he would probably be a 3rd RB, if your lineup even goes that far.

Only 18, but also two guys who missed the 1000 yard mark by < 50 yards. So there's effectively your top 20 rushers on the year. Someone who only gets about 1000 yards is a 15-20 back. In a 10 team league, that's what I would call between average and weak for a #2 RB.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:47 pm

If I could get him late 2nd early 3rd I'd be all over it. That's how leagues are won...by being agressive in your picks. i'd rather pick agressively and have a chance to win (or lose big), then come in 4th or 5th.

Friendliness: %

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:10 pm

maddog60 wrote:I have to agree that he's overhyped. There's just too many variables, and he's in a bad situation.

If Tim Rattay tursn out to be a legit starter ...
If Tim Rattay comes back in time from his injury ...
If Brandon Lloyd can emerge as a WR threat ...
If Smiley can alleviate the free agent o-line losses ...
If Barlow can handle a full seasons load ...
If defenses dont heavily blitz the young QB and take away the passing game ...
If defenses dont stack 8 guys in the box every time against him ...
If the 9er arent playing from behind most of the time ...

If all of these things happen, the 49'ers will be a playoff team and Barlow will be a top-5ish back. The likely scenario is that some of these things happen, and (IMO) he finishes with 1400-1500ish total yards and 7-10 TDs. Worthy of his "somewhere in the 2nd round" status.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:22 pm

I think he'll be "Corey Dillon v. 2.0".

Nice back, star of the team.....but not someone who's going to make or break your fantasy team.

1350 yards
9 TDs
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby CC » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:16 pm

Warpigs wrote:
Vikes_Fan2823 wrote:I think everyone can agree here that he is isn't LT2, but I do think he will be a decent #2 RB this year. He will probably see 300+ carries, due to the poor recievers and inexperienced QB's. So, even at 3.5 yards a carry, thats 1050 yds rushing right there. He is also a good recieving RB. Last year, he had 20 catches for 170 yds(8.5 ypc). Look for him to double his receptions, at least, because the inexperienced QB's are gonna want to dump it off on the safe pass to the RB.

Having 300-plus carries doesn't mean that he'll automatically be an OK option at RB. Ricky Williams owners from last year can testify to that.

Ricky Williams still had 1700 or 1800 combined yard and 13 or so TDs. Thats good production.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk