Marshall Faulk Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marshall Faulk Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Marshall Faulk Discussion

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:00 pm

One of the most intriguing running backs this year IMO will be Marshall Faulk. We all know that he is an injury threat, but if a smart owner remembers to draft Steven Jackson to handcuff to Faulk, is it possible that Faulk could be the steal in many drafts?

From what I've seen, Faulk has become an early second-round selection in most mock drafts. I know in my local 12-team league, many of the owners won't touch Faulk due to last year's struggles.

However, a back in the high-powered Rams offense should be able to shine. We all know Marshall has the potential -- even if age has caught up with him somewhat. Faulk misses at least one game every season, but is he a value as a No. 2 back on a fantasy squad -- as long as Jackson is on the team's bench somewhere?? What stats should be expect from Faulk?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:02 pm

I guess a valid followup question would be to compare him to other potential No. 2 backs such as Corey Dillon, Stephen Davis, D. Davis, etc.??
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby buyemback » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:07 pm

I woudn't want him as my #1, but handcuffed to Jackson I think he is a solid #2. If he stays healthy he still can cause problems for any defense even though he may have lost a step. I like him as a #2
buyemback
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby doubleJ_ffc » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:12 pm

Faulk should go in rd 2. I wouldn't want him as my featured back but as a #2 he can be a factor. However, I would take such backs as S.Davis, D.Davis, C.Dillon and maybe even K.Barlow over faulk who has had so many injury problems over the past 3 seasons. But if Faulk does stay healthy, he should be good for at least 1300 total yards and 7 scores.
"Why would I argue with my own conscience over the truth? That's like me telling myself don't tell me what to do." - Canibus
doubleJ_ffc
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby cooleyhigh » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:18 pm

I would be more than happy to have Faulk as my #2. I expect around 1,200 combined and 12 TD's from him. Injuries are a concern but two of the backs you mentioned also were plagued with injuries last year. Dillon was healthy for all of about 5 games last year and as for DD

In his rookie year alone, Domanick suffered from a broken right hand, strained groin, bruised chest, sprained left ankle, and bruised right quad. That list of injuries cost him "only" two regular season games and a month of preseason work, but the quantity of maladies in one campaign is a concern.

from fanball

Most sources have Faulk as a borderline #1 and I tend to agree especially if handcuffed to Jackson.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:34 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:I would be more than happy to have Faulk as my #2. I expect around 1,200 combined and 12 TD's from him. Injuries are a concern but two of the backs you mentioned also were plagued with injuries last year. Dillon was healthy for all of about 5 games last year and as for DD

In his rookie year alone, Domanick suffered from a broken right hand, strained groin, bruised chest, sprained left ankle, and bruised right quad. That list of injuries cost him "only" two regular season games and a month of preseason work, but the quantity of maladies in one campaign is a concern.

from fanball

Most sources have Faulk as a borderline #1 and I tend to agree especially if handcuffed to Jackson.

And he played most of those games. That's what seperates RBs like him, McAllister and Henry from guys like Davis & Faulk. They will still be in the game despite any injuries. I think injury reports are a bit overhyped too. Unless you constantly have injuries that keep you out of games, there isn't much to them. Every player gets banged up through the course of the season and I don't put too much stock in injury reports, just games started.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Football Newbie » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:40 pm

i will not be drafting faulk this year unless he falls to the end of the 2nd or the 3rd round.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Smizzy » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:48 pm

Faullk is a solid #2........& i would drfat him OVER S.Davis.i hear he is losing carries bigtime to D.foster this season
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:49 pm

Smizzy wrote:Faullk is a solid #2........& i would drfat him OVER S.Davis.i hear he is losing carries bigtime to D.foster this season

I hear lots of things that come out of training camp. Seeing is believing.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:18 pm

Faulk will be overvalued as a late first round/ early second round pick in most leagues because of his second half after he came back from surgery. People will look at the numbers and overlook the inferior competition he happened to play and the angel he had on his shoulder because time after time the Rams receivers got tackled at the 1 or 2 yard line. Take a look at his YPC against decent run defenses last year, not pretty.

Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Football Talk