Could Coles #'s be in Jeopardy this season? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Could Coles #'s be in Jeopardy this season?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Could Coles #'s be in Jeopardy this season?

Postby FeArMeNtL » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:27 am

Im not sure if anyone has posted something about this, but bringing in Portis, his #'s could possibly fall since they gave up Champ Bailey for Poris. If they gave up they best CB in the NFL, they must be planning to use Portis alot and in the case Coles and the other WR #'s and TD's to fall in this coming season. Or possibly now there #'s could be better since now they have a running game and defenses won't key on them to pass is every down and the defenses wont blitz everytime knowing they pass it alot which means Ramsey of Brunell whoever gets the job won't get injured (Ramsey wishes he came back last season eh?) ;-) What are your thoughts on this?
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cupertino_11 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:36 am

O:-) *still trying to sort all that out*

Ok got it.........Will Coles' stats slip due to the arrival of Portis?

Hmmm. :-? There will most certainly be a shift in running plays vs. passing plays compared to last year. Spurrier loved to pass, Gibbs likes to run. However, even with fewer passing plays, I can still see Coles getting his 1000 yds and around 7-9 TD's. The running game sets up the passing game. (so they say) You might want to keep an eye on Taylor Jacobs though in preseason. If last season's first round pick plays up to his potential you'd have a solid trio of receivers in Washington......and although it's great for the team, usually that doesn't bode well for a single player's stats.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:37 am

I think you're over analyzing it. Even if Coles gets fewer passes thrown to him due to play calling, he should be open more because defenses have to respect the run now.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:24 am

Gunslinger wrote:I think you're over analyzing it. Even if Coles gets fewer passes thrown to him due to play calling, he should be open more because defenses have to respect the run now.

What he said. Does Edge really hurt Harrison's stats? Would a return to pro-bowl form by Bennett make Randy Moss's season much different? Essentially, Coles being the #2 weapon is now not the top priority for defenses, meaning he wont see double coverage oh, all game. Maybe in 3rd and long situations he'll see it, but otherwise, the man will be out there making plays, and has a solid QB Brunnell to throw to him.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby brdmaverick » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:08 am

i guess you could say that portis could help them. here how.....

1.) as mentioned, the defense won't be all over Coles. They will have to respect the run with Portis in the backfield.

2.) with Portis in the offense, the offense should make more first downs, have longer drives, and score more, meaning more opportunities for everyone.
Go Pats!
brdmaverick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CKY_ROX » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:11 am

brdmaverick wrote:i guess you could say that portis could help them. here how.....

1.) as mentioned, the defense won't be all over Coles. They will have to respect the run with Portis in the backfield.

2.) with Portis in the offense, the offense should make more first downs, have longer drives, and score more, meaning more opportunities for everyone.

i fully agree. his numbers should be up sleightly from last year mabee 2 more TD ad 200 yards.

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:38 am

Yep, more balanced offense means more balanced stats. Brunell can still throw even if he can't run as well anymore. If Portis draws that D, the WR's should benefit rather than be hurt.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:44 am

the only thing a worry abut coles is a lingering foot injury thats still hindering him in camp...

as long as that doesnt become a problem, i see him having slightly better numbers than last year. at least an increased td total. the increase in catches and yards will probably not be too much.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Sandwich » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:44 am

Portis will draw some attention away from the passing game. I think the bigger question for Coles is if Brunell will be able to get the ball down field. I think his touches will remain mostly the same but his yardage may go down because there is less of a deep threat. I still think he will be fine.

Sleeper candidate = R. Gardner. If Portis has the running game on track and Brunell can't get the long ball downfield, Gardner could pick up a lot of underneath stuff. He has good hands and size. Not a lot of yardage, not a lot of TD's but if your league rewards catches like mind does, and starts 3 WR's he is a nice late pick up. And he will come cheap.
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:49 am

The Sandwich wrote:Sleeper candidate = R. Gardner. If Portis has the running game on track and Brunell can't get the long ball downfield, Gardner could pick up a lot of underneath stuff. He has good hands and size. Not a lot of yardage, not a lot of TD's but if your league rewards catches like mind does, and starts 3 WR's he is a nice late pick up. And he will come cheap.

Yes, hopefully free agent of week 1, 2, or 3 cheap. :-)
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk