The 2nd Rd Dilema - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The 2nd Rd Dilema

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby FF Newbie » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:41 am

Initially I started this thread to show that there could potentially be a large value "hole" at the end of the 2nd rd, and to get some opinions of what to do.

The funny thing is that after 4 pages I would guess that less than half the people who posted on this thread have a clue about what I am trying to explain. This isnt something with an easy answer,

The whole point of this was to show a very possible situation where the drafter could fall into a value gap and the potential consequences. Not about draft advice.

Of course, there's also the possibility that we understand exactly what you're talking about and the answer really isn't as difficult as you seem to think it is. In fact, it's quite easy. If C-Pep and Gonzo represent a "value hole," what exactly represents good value in your mind? Frankly, I'd rather have those guys than some of the "more valuable" ones that were already drafted in your hypothetical scenario. The problem is that you're locked into the "draft running backs and wide receivers first" mindset. Free your mind. The truth will set you free.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:56 am

FF Newbie wrote:
Initially I started this thread to show that there could potentially be a large value "hole" at the end of the 2nd rd, and to get some opinions of what to do.

The funny thing is that after 4 pages I would guess that less than half the people who posted on this thread have a clue about what I am trying to explain. This isnt something with an easy answer,

The whole point of this was to show a very possible situation where the drafter could fall into a value gap and the potential consequences. Not about draft advice.

Of course, there's also the possibility that we understand exactly what you're talking about and the answer really isn't as difficult as you seem to think it is. In fact, it's quite easy. If C-Pep and Gonzo represent a "value hole," what exactly represents good value in your mind? Frankly, I'd rather have those guys than some of the "more valuable" ones that were already drafted in your hypothetical scenario. The problem is that you're locked into the "draft running backs and wide receivers first" mindset. Free your mind. The truth will set you free.

No... that doesn't sound like Cornbread at all.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:01 pm

The value hole is at the most important positions RB/WR. What Cornbread is trying to say, I think, is that you are forced to go with a top prospect at a bad position (QB/TE) instead of the bread and butter positions (RB/WR) if you want good value. This is similar to drafting the #1 defense or #1 kicker before it's necessary because of the "best player available" theory.

QBs get injured every season and a lot of QBs may have similar stats to the #1. Culpepper stands slightly above the other QBs because of his running ability, but that may not hold up this season. Not to mention the top QBs are not heads and shoulders above their peers like RBs and WRs.

I think Gonzalez is not a bad pick at all here because he is consistently the #1 TE by a large margin each season. Gonzalez has value written all over him even in the early 3rd round.

As for choosing from the RBs and WRs left at this point, it's pretty sketchy. I would stick with the best RB available with my 2nd pick so I don't get stuck with a turd in the 4th. There should still be good options at WR at the 4th/5th turn.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk