Jake Delhomme signs extension. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jake Delhomme signs extension.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jake Delhomme signs extension.

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:23 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1823834 wrote:CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers rewarded quarterback Jake Delhomme for his Super Bowl season Thursday by giving him a five-year, $38 million contract extension that included a $12 million signing bonus.

Delhomme was entering the final year of a two-year, $4 million contract. He was scheduled to make a base salary of $1.37 million. This deal will keep him in Carolina until 2009.

The 29-year-old Delhomme came to the Panthers with only two career starts, for the New Orleans Saints. Delhomme relieved Rodney Peete at halftime against Jacksonville in the first game of the season and led the team back from a 17-point deficit to win 24-23.

He started 19 straight games after that, leading the Panthers to playoff victories over Dallas, St. Louis and Philadelphia.

Then he threw for 323 yards and three touchdowns in a last-minute 32-29 loss to the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Delhomme completed 266 of 449 passes for 3,219 yards and 19 touchdowns.

"It's kind of a dream come true," Delhomme said after Thursday's practice. "When you're coming out of college undrafted, you're just trying to hang on by a thread. Luckily I did. It's funny how things work out."

The deal came on the final day of the team's three-week minicamp.

"Everybody in the league is trying identify their quarterback and when you identify that guy, getting him locked up for the future is paramount to your success," Panthers head coach John Fox said. "I'm glad it happened before we got away from here."

Delhomme was also relieved to get the deal done.

"I've been around guys who haven't performed their best with a contract lingering over their heads," Delhomme said. "Having that behind me, now it's just total football when training camp starts."

Like a lot of former backups who came out of nowhere to get starting jobs, Delhomme used NFL Europe as a proving ground. He played for Amsterdam in 1998 and Frankfurt in 1999. His 67.3 completion percentage for Frankfurt in 1999 put him on the map as a potential quarterback of the future.

The Panthers also used the offseason to wrap up Delhomme's favorite target, receiver Steve Smith, with a six-year, $28 million contract.

John Clayton, senior writer for ESPN.com, and information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

In other news, Chris Weinke is upset about being the #3 QB behind Rodney Peete.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:56 pm

Hes really still nothing more than a number 2 or 3 fantasy QB.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:32 pm

Still, I don't think he is worth all this cash, he was pretty much a game manager, with SD not being as much of a factor, and the line being worse, I think Delhomme has a worse season this year.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:37 pm

well I don't believe he will be a great fantasy option...this will be the year we find out...stay tuned kiddies

great
good
ok
buuuuuuuust...............I say he jumps from ok,, to good. ;-D
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:17 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Still, I don't think he is worth all this cash, he was pretty much a game manager, with SD not being as much of a factor, and the line being worse, I think Delhomme has a worse season this year.

But unlike the 98 Baltimore Ravens, they kept their game manager to continue managing games instead of thinking they could put anyone there. They got to the Super Bowl with him, he's worth keeping.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:34 pm

I agree they should keep him, but that is a rather large contract for a player of his calibre.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:33 pm

Oh wonderful. Add another QB signing to the heap of justification after this season for Hass.

That boy is going to cost us a fortune.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MikeKid » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:51 am

He may not be a great fantasy QB, but that is not what the Panthers are concerned about. As far as I am concerned, Delhomme is the anchor for that offense. he deserved a new contract, but that one IS a little too much money.
8-o
MikeKid
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:31 am

Its nice to see players who step up, and outplay their contracts rewarded. Even though Delhomme didnt put up the most impressive stats, I remember several ocassions where he came through when it counted, such as leading 4th quarter come from behind victories. He just got better and better as he and Steve Smith developed a timing.

I'd rather see teams doing this than Pinkston earning more cash than Hines Ward.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Flux » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:45 am

maddog60 wrote:Its nice to see players who step up, and outplay their contracts rewarded. Even though Delhomme didnt put up the most impressive stats, I remember several ocassions where he came through when it counted, such as leading 4th quarter come from behind victories. He just got better and better as he and Steve Smith developed a timing.

I'd rather see teams doing this than Pinkston earning more cash than Hines Ward.

I agree, I have loved what the Panthers have done this offseason (Extending Fox, resigning Delhomme, negotiating with Drew Carter even though he blew out his knee for a 3rd time). They have shown some real class in my eyes.

As for Delhommes production this year, I think its going to go down, mainly b/c the line took a little hit and I still think the WRs in CAR arent very good. Sure Steve Smith put up a good year, but I wouldnt want my #1 WR to be that small, especially w/ nobody else worth throwing too on the roster.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk