Strength of Schedule.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strength of Schedule..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strength of Schedule..

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:17 am

Anyone have this year's official Strength of Schedule ranking?? I don't take a lot of stock in strength of schedule for most of my drafting, but at times I don't draft a DT, for instance, to the very last round - and at that time, I usually take a team with a fairly easy schedule (Seattle last year). Which teams really seem to stick out as far as easier schedules?? (Obviously Denver and KC playing SanDiego and Oakland twice) and GB/Minnesota both play Detroit/Chicago twice.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:16 pm

Here is a breakdown of the strength of schedule for this season:
http://www.doghousefootball.com/schedule_strength.html

Hope his helps...

Friendliness: %

Postby steelerfan04 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:18 pm

I dont pay attention at all to strength of schedule.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby CKY_ROX » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:36 pm

same, if you can get tallent, GET IT. dun matter about whos playing who

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:58 pm

Im just the opposite - I think its a bit silly not to at least familiarize yourself with those teams that have the hardest schedule.

Do you seriously want your 2nd rd RB facing this schedule:

@TB
NE
@ATL
IND
@NYJ
MIA
BAL
@PIT
@CLE
DEN
@TEN
DAL
@WAS
PIT
CLE
@BAL
@NE
BUF
NYG
@PHI

I count 4 games on this schedule where they aren't either playing a top 10 defense (Bold), or a team that could pretty easily make the top 10(Red).

BTW - good luck Rudi.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bigGAME101 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:35 am

all of what was mentioned was true, but i think when you draft, you take the best player available, at the position you need, regardless of schedual or diffculty they will face...especially in a keeper league, you want the best player, not the one who may put up good numbers due to an easy schedual; the best players put up decent numbers no matter who they play, and a schedual can change greatly from one year to the next

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:08 am

I understand the best player theory, but you guys are missing the point. In deciding how to rank players and what values to give them you look at any number of things - health, history, team, etc... Well, one of those things you should use when deciding this is strength of schedule.

Rudi dropped a whole lot in my rankings because of his teams schedule this yr and the situation I think that schedule will put his team in on a pretty weekly basis. I dont place a whole lot on schedule because most of them arent all that bad - however, every yr it seams a team or two faces a killer defensive schedule - this yr its CLE and CIN.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Warpigs » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:46 am

Anonymous wrote:Here is a breakdown of the strength of schedule for this season:
http://www.doghousefootball.com/schedule_strength.html

Hope his helps...

Thanks!

And I agree that in the end, you select the best player available. He's always trade bait (at worst) if you don't think he'll do well later in the season.

However, it was nice seeing their talk on the Colts Schedule for instance. Makes me a little easier about taking Edge late in the first round.

Good luck to all!
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby fantasyswami » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:49 am

Yeah I think you are missing the point that Cornbread is trying to make. We all know that you have to take talent when it falls to you in the draft. However, the educated GM uses more than just a cheatsheet ripped out of a magazine to draft his team. By using the S.O.S., it allows you one more tool in narrowing down your selection. For example, if you pick late in the first or early in the second (depending on if you play in a girl 8-team league or a manly 14-team league), you may be waffling between Rudi Johnson and Edgerrin James, who could be ranked very close to one another. So you use the S.O.S. to help you formulate your decision.

Now, we're taking for granted that nobody is silly enough to say "Well, Denver has an easier SOS than Cincinnati, so I'm gonna take Garrison Hearst and pass on Rudi Johnson." Common sense still applies. We're just saying to be smart about it, and use it as you would any other drafting tool.

My two cents.
fantasyswami
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingNothing31685 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:57 am

"you may be waffling between Rudi Johnson and Edgerrin James"

who would struggle with this choice? Edge is going 7-9 in almost every draft i've seen. Rudi is going 12-15. no waffling here IMHO.

mmmm waffles ;-D
fantasy football is alot like sex. Everyone thinks they are the best, but most people really don't know what they are doing.
KingNothing31685
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk