Strength of Schedule.. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strength of Schedule..

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby fantasyswami » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:01 am

I know, I agree. I was just trying to draw a comparison using the players they were discussing above.
fantasyswami
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:57 am

That is a pretty decent reference tool, I wish it had more teams on it though. Only 1 stud RB in those 6 teams, but luckily I have him in my keeper league. ;-D
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:07 am

Strength Of Schedule is tricky at best given the role that injuries, additions/subtractions to a defense can make. The Lions D is rated pretty low but they played much better in the second half last season and have made some nice up-grades. They may field a strong D this year...or not if the new parts don't gel.
SOS is another tool to help make a determination, there are not that many teams that just shut you down on a consistant basis. If a player has to play a handful of games agaisnt those types of D, I would look for their numbers will suffer.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby fantasyswami » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:58 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:That is a pretty decent reference tool, I wish it had more teams on it though. Only 1 stud RB in those 6 teams, but luckily I have him in my keeper league. ;-D

True, but the tool doesn't offer much help for the bigger name stud backs, as I doubt any owners will pass on the likes of Priest, LT, or Ahman based on their respective team's strength of schedule.
fantasyswami
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:53 pm

I really pay no attention to SOS. SOS is really based on how well last year's defenses did. I did a big analysis on a thread a couple months ago about how alot of teams in the top 10 in 2002 were in the bottom half in 2003 and vice versa. Ex. Oakland's defense was #3 against the run in 2002 but dead last? I think in 2003. It's not worth worrying about. Who knew NE would be the No. 1 defense last year? Another example.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:17 pm

IMO S.O.S does not become a factor until your team has already been drafted and the season is under way. By midseason whoever the top defenses are becomes a lot clearer picture. The only thing I will really avoid is a player that has a very tough perceived schedule in weeks 14-16, when the playoffs are happening. And even then this is not going to stop me from taking who I feel is the most talented player left on the board.

Take for instance last year's NE super bowl defense:

Their numbers were basically nothing less than awesome:
Less than 90yd/game rushing allowed, Less than 15 ppg allowed.

Go back to 2002 one year removed from the 2001 Super Bowl title and note the differences:

More than <b>135yd/game</b> rushing allowed
,more than <b>21ppg</b> allowed.

Defenses, just like offenses, change from season to season. Predicting a runners effectiveness versus a S.O.S based on last years numbers is a lot less accurate than you think. New England may seem like a no-brainer defense that will shut down opponent offenses, but could a return to 2002 form be in store for them?

Oh yes, and because a team is rated highly defensively, that automatically means that they will jump out to an early lead. Of course! Tteams can't run the ball if they're down a touchdown early! Why you didn't I think of that earlier!
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Azrael » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:50 pm

You summed up the SOS "theory" pretty well Kensat. Should not even be a subject of discussion to concern ourselves with.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cooleyhigh » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:18 am

Azrael wrote:You summed up the SOS "theory" pretty well Kensat. Should not even be a subject of discussion to concern ourselves with.

gotta talk about something.... its freaking June :~(
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby irishboy » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:42 am

strength of schedule is an important factor in drafts i'll agree; but it should never be used as the deciding factor; if ur at a toss up between two even wrs (ward and johnson perhaps) but you perosnally think one is better then draft him; defenses are a crapshoot at best from year to year
IRISH PRIDE (WHAT'S WRONG WITH ALL CAPS)
irishboy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Azrael » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:40 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:
Azrael wrote:You summed up the SOS "theory" pretty well Kensat. Should not even be a subject of discussion to concern ourselves with.

gotta talk about something.... its freaking June :~(

touche pussycat-O
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk