Barlow and Staley - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Barlow and Staley

Moderator: Football Moderators

Barlow and Staley

Postby VikeHawk » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:36 am

What do you think about these two guys? I think they are under-ranked by almost everybody. I think Barlow is a stud that will end the year as a top 8 back. I think Staley is solid...along the lines of a Tiki Barber. Tell me what you think. Thanks.
VikeHawk

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby KingNothing31685 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:44 am

I like Barlow this year and he has been slipping in many drafts, which i view with delight ;-D

Staley i have seen going very late for a starting back. I agree with you in saying that both are undervalued.

I have barlow ranked about 11.
fantasy football is alot like sex. Everyone thinks they are the best, but most people really don't know what they are doing.
KingNothing31685
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:45 am

I've said before about Barlow. I think he's either gold or lead. Take your pick. He's going to have to do everything for SF but the offense sucks.

Staley I'm thinking about a bit more these days. If he is going to do everything for the Steelers he could be a decent No. 2. I'm no fan of looking at the schedule but man did the Steelers get shafted considering how they finished last year.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:06 pm

Most would pick Barlow mid 2nd round (mini-LT2 situation), whereas Staley looks like he would fall to the 3rd and wind up in the hands of those types that like to draft RB/WR or RB/QB. That could be a steal if he becomes the workhorse! The Steelers have always made a living running the ball.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:11 pm

Barlow you will have to spend a 2nd rounder on.. Staley a 3rd and maybe even get him in the 4th. A steal. I would say Barlow is a number 2 who could be a number 3 and Staley is a #3 who could be a #2. Me personally, I have been passin on Barlow... take Davis or Dillon or Freddy or RUdi.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:22 pm

Barlow is not underranked. He goes in the early to mid 2nd rd. I think he is OVERvalued there, so I will be passing on him - remember - he isnt LT2, and he will see 8 man fronts pretty consistantly, not to mention SF might have to abandon the run by the 2nd half of a lot of games as they fall behind.

Staley is value after the 3rd rd, but becareful of Bettis stealing goalline carries.

Tiki is a joke, and I hope Staley isnt compared to him - that'd be awful for Staley.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:45 pm

well would u rather have staley or garner?

Friendliness: %

Postby KingNothing31685 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:51 pm

staley
fantasy football is alot like sex. Everyone thinks they are the best, but most people really don't know what they are doing.
KingNothing31685
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:09 pm

Staley is the better option here over Barlow and Garner, IMO. You can't discount a player who is surrounded by talent. The Steelers have made a living as a run-first team. They tried to switch that around last year and got burnt for it. This year, they didn't waste time wondering if they could make it work with Amos -- they instead got a proven back that will allow them to return to playing their run-first offense. In the end, this will help open everything up. Many of you have heard the phrase that a good run opens up the passing game. It doesn't work the other way around. The Steelers learned that last year, and will rebound nicely this time around. As the Steelers lean on Staley, he'll continue to put up nice numbers.

Barlow has yet to put up a full season as the feature back, and will be the main focus of most defenses playing against San Fran. I think he'll struggle overall or will break down at some point. I know many disagree, but I'm not expecting Barlow to anchor any of my fantasy teams.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby awwchrist » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:12 pm

I don't see how anyone can take a RBBC over a starting RB in any scenario.

It's all about touches...chalk me up for Barlow easily over Staley.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk