Moderator: Football Moderators

Roethlisberger

Postby steelerfan04 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:45 pm

Roethlisberger makes progress during offseason program
Steelers Notebook

June 14, 2004

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

PITTSBURGH - Rookie Ben Roethlisberger worked with the Steelers offense for about a month during the team's off-season voluntary workouts and made progress during that time.

"I think, just even getting in and out of the huddle, he got better as the four weeks went on," said head coach Bill Cowher. "He has a lot of the skills that you are looking for - his athleticism, his strong arm, his touch to make all the throws and certainly I think it is getting comfortable."

Roethlisberger got a chance to go against the Steelers defense during team drills and that was a huge benefit for him as he makes his adjustment to the NFL.

"He was playing against our defense these last four weeks," said Cowher. "He saw a lot of different fronts, a lot of different blitzes and a lot of people going in a lot of different directions. You couple that with being new in the system, there were some inconsistencies. But that is to be expected.

" He showed a lot of signs of what we thought we were getting when we drafted him."

;-D Maybe he'll be ready to take over sooner than we think...
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sinnlos26 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:48 pm

I'm really interested to see if he'll be ready to take over midseason or if tommy gets hurt. hes lookin better everyday ;-D
sinnlos26 Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby AGENT » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:00 pm

Come on guys. Lets not make the mistake of rushing him in to early. We finally got a QB here in the burg and the last thing we want is for him to be the next Akili Smith or Ryan Lief. I hope the team takes their time. Realistically we have a better chance at winning this year with Tommy in there. In 2005 look out. Benny will be ready to go
AGENT
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:05 pm

I already posted this in the Steelers forum,but whatever.I still think it's Tommy's spot to lose...this year.

http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62276
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bigGAME101 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:31 am

i think ben could get in there and perform well within a few games...there arent many aspects of his game that need working, so it is mainly the junp between college and the pros that he will struggle with...i look for him to be this year's leftwhich, but put up better numbers due to his great supporting cast

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:55 am

If we want in the playoffs I would like to see experienced Tommy there. If Tommy gets hurt or we suck and cant get into the playoffs, Ben could get some experience in befor taking over.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:12 am

It's all about the O-line. Last pre-season the Stillers played the Lions and their O-line stank. They lost. Their O-line never were a ble to get it together and they had a poor season. If their O-line can play well Maddox will most likely be the man this season and put up decent numbers. So...how's your O-line looking?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby AGENT » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:58 am

You can't compare preseason games to ANYTHING
AGENT
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:11 pm

NittanyLions wrote:If we want in the playoffs I would like to see experienced Tommy there. If Tommy gets hurt or we suck and cant get into the playoffs, Ben could get some experience in befor taking over.

I can't see the playoffs happening for us this year. We really didn't do much to improve ourselves and the division keeps getting tougher.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:02 pm

Azrael wrote:
NittanyLions wrote:If we want in the playoffs I would like to see experienced Tommy there. If Tommy gets hurt or we suck and cant get into the playoffs, Ben could get some experience in befor taking over.

I can't see the playoffs happening for us this year. We really didn't do much to improve ourselves and the division keeps getting tougher.

We didnt do anything to help?
For one, we got Starks who should fill the Tackle void nicely, and our O-line is finally healthy. We go DDUUUCCEE! We got a few corners to fill in. We got rid of Gildon and DW. I agree our division is tough, but I cant see where you say we havent done anything. '05 I think is our year, but Im not giving up hope yet. Oh, and we got BRo. I dont like Baltimore this year only because they cant win without an offense, and I cant see JAmal doing it again. And if Jamal is in jail, oh boy, and Ray on the cover? lets pray
Cleveland IMO didnt do enough, and Cincy I think will be tough to contend with,, but lets hope their inexperience on offense costs them

Ugh, messed up a few times.
Last edited by NittanyLions on Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk