Gulf War ll - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Gulf War ll

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gulf War ll

Postby VIPER » Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:06 am

On a more serious note who thinks we should go to war with Iraq and who doesn't..
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:06 am

I'm hoping that it won't come to that. There has to be a better way...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwebb » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:08 am

The sports world, especially broadcasts, is full of war-like vocabulary. You have to beat your opponent instead of just winning a game, who doesn't know basketballs sharp-shooters?

Hearing some news that use quite the same words but are for real, with real people getting beat and killed, doesn't shock us any longer, as we're even used to blood and gore from movies, we're used to kill people in video or PC games.

But this is a lot different out there!

War shouldn't be thought of as a solution until really every other option is gone. And that's simply not the case with Iraq as of now!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JayM09 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:36 am

agreed with both these guys, war should be the very last option we have.
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:08 am

I think that most people will agree with you guys. War should be the last option. However, I'm in the boat where I'm hoping that the weapons inspectors find a smoking gun over there. Or that if/when we take their scientists out of the country to be interviewed they reveal something. I know war isn't a pretty thing, and that lives of Iraqis and Americans are on the line, but Saddam is a ruthless dictator. He oppresses his people and does nothing but spew anti-American propaganda all day and all night. This causes the regular Joe over there to hate Americans (really for no reason. Only cause Saddam says to.) which then Joe teaches his kids to hate Americans, and so on and so forth. It is just a vicious cycle of hate. It won't stop until he is ousted, and a democratic society is in place there. Even then it will take time. NOT to mention that Iraq has been associated with terrorism for a long time. I don't know. Maybe I'm a warhawk. I'm going to give you an example and I may have the wrong country but I might not either. Shortly after 9/11 there was a video clip of people (who I think may have been in Iraq) dancing, and singing, and clapping and burning American flags and just been soy joyous that Americans were attacked and killed. This p*ssed me off so much!!! I wanted to just scream "What the F@#K? Do you people even understand what the F@#k just happened? Are you all that dumb?" But that sad truth is that they are. Not all but the general public is. They are kept in the dark. All they are told is "America is bad. Hate Americans" It is terrible and sickening and it needs to stop. Even if it wasn't Iraqis dancing and singing I'm sure that A) it could have been and B) somewhere over there a bunch of people were smiling. Sometimes wars need to happen. Look at Hitler. Anyways I've rambled on long enough. :-)
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cwebb » Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:36 am

Wars have to happen? I'm sure this phrase got used too often by too many people. Yes, Saddam hates the US but Americans hate Iraq, too. If only Saddam were the problem the US should be able to take him out, but that probably would increase the hate of the Iraqi people against the US as they love Saddam and don't see it as Saddam's fault that they were short on medicine and stuff but in their eyes it was the US embargo that was to blame.

War also won't make people over there love the US, there's just no easy solution.
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:42 pm

I agree with ya Cwebb. There is no easy solution. I'm not saying we should go to war at all. I hope it doesn't come to that. But what I am saying is sometimes it is necessary. Some things in life are just plain sh*tty but need doing. I wish I could think of a clear cut example, but unfortunately I'm not that bright. :-) Also Yes wars do have to happen sometimes, but for varying reasons. The reason this nation even EXISTS is because a bunch of English colonists decided that they were sick of England being the boss. Taxation without representation and so on. Should that war not have happened? I guess it all depends on WHY the war is supposed to happen. Should we declare war on Ecuador because they increased the price of bananas? No. That would be silly. I guess it depends on the reason the war is supposed to happen. Again I'm not a war hawk (I don't think) and again I really don't want a war. But I do think that sometimes that they are necessary. I guess it just depends on the reason why. Again look at Hitler. Should the world have just stood by and watched as millions of people were gassed and killed? That was a good reason to go to war. (Although we didn't enter until we were forced by the Japanese). I'm not saying that there is a good reason to go to war with Iraq right now, because quite frankly there is none. No proof of weapons of mass destruction or anything along those lines yet. So I say no war. However if they do find anything (which violates a U.N. treaty) then my position changes. I know we could go back and forth for days and days about this so this will be my last post on the subject. If you still disagree with what I'm saying that is fine. We should just politely agree to disagree on the subject. :-)
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VIPER » Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:55 pm

I agree with you Rook. I don't want bloodshed any more than the next person, BUT, Sadaam is a wicked man, (who would gas their own people??), and he needs to be forced out one way or another before things get worse. I also know there is always someone to take his place but he is in that spot right now.
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guttpuppy » Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:06 pm

Arlo wrote:I'm hoping that it won't come to that. There has to be a better way...

I'm with the Jedi-Master on this one...whatever the case,God Bless the U.S.A.

Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:33 pm

Pretty cool pic there Gutt!! Nice Avatar too!! And Holy Snikes!! How did the big dog get off the chain?
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk