J.Lewis Trial News... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

J.Lewis Trial News...

Moderator: Football Moderators

J.Lewis Trial News...

Postby slowkidz » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:47 am

Heard on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday that the Raven's RB Jamal Lewsi could miss some playing time. Dan interviewed a lawyer and it was stated that the trial date is set during the NFL's Pre-Season. It was also said that "the NFL will not allow him to participate, innocent or guilty, with an ongoing trial." The expected time frame for the trial is expected to last up into about the second game of the NFL Regular Season. If he's proven Innocent, he could return as early as the 3rd Week, but if he's proven Guilty, odds are he won't return at all.

This will definitely kick the Raven's season off on a rocky start. IMO, Lewis owners/buyer: BEWARE!
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:32 am

damn, definitely not good news for Lewis owners if they really dont allow him to play during a trial.

Glad I dont have him...
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby canned fuego » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:36 am

in non keeper leagues, how far does everyone think this news will drop him??? It seems like such a big gamble to spend a first round pick on.
canned fuego
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:40 am

They don't hold trials on Sunday as far as I know...so why would it stop him from playing (other than stopping him from going to practice and watching film)? I'm sure he can still get workouts in and look at tape when he's not in court. The Ravens need this guy to play, and if he's a gamer (which I assume he is) he'll find a way to play a'la Kobe Bryant.

BTW, nice Hong Kong Phooey av Slow. I'm pretty sure that the Autobot Jazz and HKP were voiced by the same dude...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:45 am

Mercer Boy wrote:They don't hold trials on Sunday as far as I know...so why would it stop him from playing (other than stopping him from going to practice and watching film)? I'm sure he can still get workouts in and look at tape when he's not in court. The Ravens need this guy to play, and if he's a gamer (which I assume he is) he'll find a way to play a'la Kobe Bryant.

I don't think Sundays are the issue here at all. From what Slow was saying in a different thread, this is a Federal case that is in a totally different league than Kobe's situation. From what it sounds like, Lewis, his attorneys and everyone else has no real pull in what happens and it also sounds like the Feds have every ability to keep Lewis from playing during the hearing. Basically, I would start considering Lewis to be out the first two weeks (depending on what happens over the next month or so), and possibly longer if found guilty.

I would definitely steer clear of him in a draft. There are a lot of other talented RBs primed to break out (Edgerrin James for instance) that I'd rather roll the dice on.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:01 pm

Warpigs wrote:it also sounds like the Feds have every ability to keep Lewis from playing during the hearing.

It's the NFL that sounds like it won't let Jamal play if a trail is taking place. Stodgy bastages. Steroids, uppers, booze are okay to use but even a sniff of a cocaine issue and it's time to play moral police. Hypocrites.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:15 pm

I feel so bad(not). I dont think I own him. ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:52 pm

Guy in my league has been trying to trade Lewis and Chad for LT...

Yeah, right.
Me thinks the Man is all over Jamal!
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bolkonsky_ffc » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:43 pm

If Jamal cannot play football, it will probably be a NFL decision, not a federal court decision.

Courts impose bond and bond conditions to a) insure defendant's appearance in court and/or b) to protect the public from defendant.

In Jamal's case we know he can post bond. I think it is highly unlikely that the bond conditions would include his being limited in travel given the low risk of flight I presume he poses. Similarly, he does not pose a significant threat to the public so he will probably be free to go where he wants.

That being said, he will not be practicing as his trial goes on and for that reason alone I would think it unlikely that he will play football until the whole thing is over.

It just occurred to me that his value could be low enough to get him for cheap right now. ;-)
"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare
bolkonsky_ffc
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk