Offensive Rookies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Offensive Rookies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:17 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I think JJ will BUST. I think he will be replaced as the starting RB by week 6 at the latest. Why do people assume a rookie RB, who most scouts had pegged as a marginal NFL player at best, succeed in DAL? Just because of Parcells?

Because scouts are wrong ALL the time. ALL the time. Teams draft the wrong guy ALL the time. Go look at a draft from 1999 and see where those players are now. You've got some outright studs, you've got some busts and you've got some decent players. Many of them perform differently than their scouting report. I'll take the judgement over the handful of proven coaches I trust than the cookie cutter evaluations scouts make every year.

If KJ is such a rare talent that you claim, why did 29 other teams pass on him? Namely Cincinatti, St. Louis, NYJ, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. No team thought there was a LaDainian Tomlinson type RB in the draft so it will take a season to see who was worth who. For what it's worth I trust Mariucci close to what I trust Parcells as far as talent evaluation, I just don't see any reasonable competition for JJ in Dallas yet.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:14 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I think JJ will BUST. I think he will be replaced as the starting RB by week 6 at the latest. Why do people assume a rookie RB, who most scouts had pegged as a marginal NFL player at best, succeed in DAL? Just because of Parcells? Give me a break. Is that potent passing game going to spread the defense?

Finally, Cornbread you are my hero. ;-D
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:48 pm

Fitz is as close to a can't miss as there is in this rookie class. With his hands he will be the man on third down. Williams has better speed but a young QB relies on those who hold onto the ball, and Fitz is fly-paper.

I think that JJ is the obvious choice because there isn't any one else there. But that was the same set up for Hambrick. KJ will win the starting job by the third week, me thinks. Pinner couldn't get to the outside last season and will be a short yardafe back when all is said and done. The the other tools the Lions have should open things up for the running game. I have even heard whispers (unconfirmed) that some Lions officials wouldn't be surprised if he is in the running for ROY!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby awwchrist » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:30 am

Dallas is going to be in a lot of close games. Parcells is a coach that doesn't take a lot of risks with the ball...should fair very nicely for JJ.

As for the other Jones...I don't see how people are pinning their fantasy hopes on a RB that is going into a system and coach that/whom used dual RBs. Some of you are the same people that in one arguement say he's a RBBC guy with SF and wouldn't turn the backfield over to one player, then the next minute are crowning KJ as the starting full time RB by week 3.

Good luck with all that. Your crystall balls are much bigger and clearer than mine. ;-D
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:17 am

awwchrist wrote:Dallas is going to be in a lot of close games. Parcells is a coach that doesn't take a lot of risks with the ball...should fair very nicely for JJ.

As for the other Jones...I don't see how people are pinning their fantasy hopes on a RB that is going into a system and coach that/whom used dual RBs. Some of you are the same people that in one arguement say he's a RBBC guy with SF and wouldn't turn the backfield over to one player, then the next minute are crowning KJ as the starting full time RB by week 3.

Good luck with all that. Your crystall balls are much bigger and clearer than mine. ;-D

It's a myth that Mooch is a RBBC committee guy. He relied on just one RB if he had a good one.

1997: Garrison Hearst - 234 carries - 13 games
1998: Garrison Hearst - 310 carries - next closest RB: 48 carries
1999: Charlie Garner - 241 carries - next closest RB: 58 carries
2000: Charlie Garner - 258 carries - next closest RB: 50 carries

2001: Garrison Hearst: 252 carries - Kevan Barlow: 125 carries

As you can see, he wasn't taking very many carries away from the primary back, just giving the 2nd RB all the carries that usually went to three or four other guys. IF KJ is everything people say he is, Mooch will give him 300 carries. I still think Artose Pinner has something to say about that though.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:05 pm

well that's good news for KJ owners.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:03 pm

I've yet to be convinced that Kevin Jones will see a featured role in the Detroit offense this season. Even if he does, he will have to put up amazing numbers to become a marginal fantasy player.

Little known fact: Detroit has ranked dead last in the NFL in rushing attempts in 2 of the past 3 years. One year they were 2nd to last. Some RBs in the league average as many carries per season as the entire Detroit team : ~360 carries.

KJ may have all the talent and pedigree in the world, but it takes opportunity(carries) to create a fantasy producer.

Not to mention that this year people seem to have forgotten all about Olandis Gary and Shawn Bryson and choose to focus on Pinner, a guy who hardly even played last year. Now I'm not saying either of these guys are superstars, but I think they will ALL get some PT.

Bryson especially is one to look out for as an impedment in K.J.'s progress. He caught 50+ balls last year on limited playing time. He is the receiving RB threat in this offense.

True these guys may not have produced like superstars, but the Detroit O-line is primarily known for pass rush defending. This year Harrington is surrounded by young and veteran talent to throw the ball to. Detroit will be going to the air early and often this season. I see Detroit below 400 carries again this season and if K.J is lucky he may see 200 of them.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk