Most Overrated EVER - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Most Overrated EVER

Moderator: Football Moderators

Most Overrated EVER

Postby Bennett4prez » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:08 pm

Steve Smith. This guy is a kick returner at best. But, some people have him ranked in the top 5! on average, he is around 12th for receivers. What is going on here? I thought I was being generous when I had him ranked 19th for receivers.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:10 pm

Dude,

I have to agree with you. While he put up some good numbers at times last year, I'm not optimistic he'll keep it up. The offense is too keyed on the run, and while Smith will still get his chances, I think he'll start seeing a whole lot more coverage this year and I don't think he'll be able to handle that extra attention.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby deftdelivery » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:16 pm

I completely agree...he is OVER-RATED...as is Anquan Boldin. I gotta tell ya I'm a huge Panther fan, and I love the guy to death, but he is not the top 10 WR some people think he is...the system he's in is built around the running game almost ENTIRELY...I think the reason Smith was doing so well as a fantasy player last year was simply because teams were stacking the box on Davis, letting Panther WR's go deep...I mean, for goodness sakes, the Eagles allowed Mushin Muhammed to torch them deep! (He needs a friggen walker!) IMO, I think he will slide as a WR this year as teams will place a bigger emphasis on Carolina's pass attack. Delhomme has proven himself to be a solid, consistent QB. With speculation about Foster stealing carries, Davis is less of a threat to defenses. Smith's stats will suffer imo
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:28 pm

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. You have a guy that's been in the league 3 years and really only played significant time in 2 of those. He only started 11/16 games last year and scored 7 TDs with 1110 yards receiving (not to mention he played great in the playoffs). You also have a young up and coming QB in Delhomme.

Of course nothing is for sure in the NFL, but what evidence/reason do you have to think that Steve Smith will put up worse numbers in 2004 in 16 games than in 2003 when he started 11?
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:48 pm

9er Fan wrote:Wow, I couldn't disagree more. You have a guy that's been in the league 3 years and really only played significant time in 2 of those. He only started 11/16 games last year and scored 7 TDs with 1110 yards receiving (not to mention he played great in the playoffs). You also have a young up and coming QB in Delhomme.

Of course nothing is for sure in the NFL, but what evidence/reason do you have to think that Steve Smith will put up worse numbers in 2004 in 16 games than in 2003 when he started 11?

I think they are talking like he isn't a top 5-10 receiever. I can't agree more with that. And the reasons have already been stated. With what Delhomme and Smith did in the playoffs teams will actually respect the pass this year. Smith will have to face more double teams and there wont be 8 guys in the box trying to stop Davis. I think he may have a good season but not worth his ranking on alot of people's board.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:55 pm

I thought this thread was about Santana Moss when I read the title.

I actually like Steve Smith in the 10-20 range. He isn't top 5, but I haven't seen anyone rank him that high. He's an ok #1 and a great #2.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby osu4fan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:58 pm

Only Indy had more pass plays of 20 yards or more. Steve Smith has a 3yr avg of 14.1 yards a catch, the same as Randy Moss three avg. Chad Johnsons three year avg is 15.2. For a run based offense Steve Smith had more catches, yards, TDs and long plays on first downs than he did on any other down. Was HUGE in fourth quarters and close games, which mean, when its close the ball is going to mister shorty! Id say he's a sure fire top 10.
osu4fan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby maddog60 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:08 pm

I think baed on his play last year and the improvements that team has made as a whole (do you expect any WR to do well with Peete throwing?) He's easily a top 10-15. That's where I rank him. In dynasty or keeper leagues I can see why he goes higher because of his youth, but no he's not top 10, though has the talent and potential to do so.

If we're going to have a most overrated ever thread, can we please retitle it: "Michael Vick." Just much more direct and accurate.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:31 pm

osu4fan wrote:Only Indy had more pass plays of 20 yards or more. Steve Smith has a 3yr avg of 14.1 yards a catch, the same as Randy Moss three avg. Chad Johnsons three year avg is 15.2. For a run based offense Steve Smith had more catches, yards, TDs and long plays on first downs than he did on any other down. Was HUGE in fourth quarters and close games, which mean, when its close the ball is going to mister shorty! Id say he's a sure fire top 10.

Uh what? Only Indy had more pass plays of 20 or more yards? Are you talking about all of last year? And about the Carolina Panthers? I'm not sure but this can't be right......I think I just read something with the Rams having the most plays over 20 yards last year.

I agree with maddog. Most overrated player: Mike Vick. How can people take an unproven player that has been in the league 2 years and not really done anything with the exception of a few great games in the first or early second round? I don't get it.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby osu4fan » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:57 pm

Don't have the book in front of me but after the draft we(my league mates) were talking about the same thing and I looked it up in my fantasy football book, it said that only Indy had more pass plays of over 20 yards than did the panthers. I'll check it when I get home or if someone could verify.
osu4fan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk