Bengals Want Kitna - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bengals Want Kitna

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:58 pm

Personally, I always though Palmer was overrated. I really like Kitna and I dont like them getting rid of him. I think Chad goes right back where he was on most rankings if Kitna comes back....who knows, Palmer still has time.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:11 pm

NittanyLions wrote:Personally, I always though Palmer was overrated.

I gotta agree... I have said form Day One that Byron leftwhich will be the better Qb and should have been taken 1st not palmer.

How could you pass on a man who threw for over 4000yds three straight years I believe, for a man who had one good season while having the luxury of throwing to Mike Williams and Keary Colbert...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:00 pm

Palmer is an outstanding physical specimen: he has a cannon for an arm and he can deliver the ball very accurately. If he can put his complete game all together, then he has the opportunity to be the best.

Kitna will never be the best. He lacks the X factor of talent that the Peyton Manning, Daunte Culpepper, and Brett Favre of the league show. Palmer has that X factor in him, and he can be twice as good as Kitna. The problem is that Palmer may never become even half of the QB Kitna is today.

I think that is the mistake a lot of people(teams) make when evaluating quarterbacks in the draft. The size, arm strength, and athletic ability all look so good on paper, but when you throw a guy out there against NFL players the real talent will show through.

You want to know why QBs play the longest out of any position in the league besides kicker (or Jerry Rice)? It's not because they take less hits I'll tell you that much. Being an NFL QB takes a sharp mind to adjust to, sometimes it takes years.

Kitna showed last season that he has the know how and ENOUGH talent to get the ball to his receivers. While Kitna may not be able to throw the bomb as deep as Palmer or zip his passes through croweded coverage, Kitna has seen NFL players in action and knows what to expect.

With the Bengals' declaring Palmer the starter before the off-season even began, I think they sent a statement to the entire league. Marvin Lewis' Bengal's will not settle on starting Jon Kitna at QB. Even if it means forfeiting a chance at a playoff spot this season with Kitna under center. The Bengal's are no longer losers, they have begun to demand the best as an organization.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby footballboy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:16 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Palmer is an outstanding physical specimen: he has a cannon for an arm and he can deliver the ball very accurately. If he can put his complete game all together, then he has the opportunity to be the best.

Kitna will never be the best. He lacks the X factor of talent that the Peyton Manning, Daunte Culpepper, and Brett Favre of the league show. Palmer has that X factor in him, and he can be twice as good as Kitna. The problem is that Palmer may never become even half of the QB Kitna is today.

I think that is the mistake a lot of people(teams) make when evaluating quarterbacks in the draft. The size, arm strength, and athletic ability all look so good on paper, but when you throw a guy out there against NFL players the real talent will show through.

You want to know why QBs play the longest out of any position in the league besides kicker (or Jerry Rice)? It's not because they take less hits I'll tell you that much. Being an NFL QB takes a sharp mind to adjust to, sometimes it takes years.

Kitna showed last season that he has the know how and ENOUGH talent to get the ball to his receivers. While Kitna may not be able to throw the bomb as deep as Palmer or zip his passes through croweded coverage, Kitna has seen NFL players in action and knows what to expect.

With the Bengals' declaring Palmer the starter before the off-season even began, I think they sent a statement to the entire league. Marvin Lewis' Bengal's will not settle on starting Jon Kitna at QB. Even if it means forfeiting a chance at a playoff spot this season with Kitna under center. The Bengal's are no longer losers, they have begun to demand the best as an organization.

VERY well said! ;-D
Ravens Rule!
footballboy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:30 am

you gotta feel for the bengals...kitna does nothing his whole career so they draft palmer..then bam kitna breaks out. one has to be traded
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:22 pm

I would say it is the veterans on Cincy that have 1 or 2 years left in their career that want Kitna starting so they can make the playoffs. You have to see what Palmer can do this year and no way you trade Kitna. He is a perfect backup and safety net should Palmer bust early in the season.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flux » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:19 pm

Palmer has way more potential than Kitna. Kitna was great last year, but the Bengals offense lacked the deep threat, b/c Kitna simply does not have the arm.

Palmer is the starter, period. Kitna will not at all try and stir things up. He could have been traded but didnt want to b/c he loves the organization and he loves the city. He doesnt want to move his family again.

Even back when Akili was there, and they were rotating 3 QBs around, Kitna (who was playing the best at the time) just said they need to stick w/ one guy and it should be Akili. They eventually let Kitna play b/c Akili sucked, but Kitna had no problem being the guy teaching the younger players.

Palmer is still young, and he is finally taking some snaps with the first unit. It will take him some time to get into the groove of things, but he should be ready by the time the season starts.

Palmer definitely can bring something to the bengals that Kitna couldnt...
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Kitna

Postby Daddymike59 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:35 am

Kitna may lack the armstrength but he makes that up by being able to check off to multiple receivers. He used 3 tight ends and 3 w/rs frequently. With CJ, Warrick and T.J. Houshmanwhatever healthy, he would even have more options. I don't think , this year at least, that Palmer will have the presence in the pocket to read the defenses as well as Kitna. Cincinnatti may be committed to having the BEST possible team on the field but they still have a Brown in the front office.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:18 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Kitna showed last season that he has the know how and ENOUGH talent to get the ball to his receivers. While Kitna may not be able to throw the bomb as deep as Palmer or zip his passes through croweded coverage, Kitna has seen NFL players in action and knows what to expect.

I have to disagree with this contradictory statement. If Kitna showed he has the talent and ability to bring the Bungals to the brick of respectability, why would you then sit him for an unproven player? The answer is not that the front office is concerned with demanding the best of the organization, but that they are more concerned about not admitting that they may have made a mistake in drafting Palmer. The Bungals starring at a long awaited chance to provide their fans with a winning/competative team and they are more worried about covering their historically incompetant arses then fielding the best team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:23 pm

Kitna was pretty good near the end of 2002, and he put up some good numbers. He started to show he could do some damage when given the chance. But instead of noticing this, the front office got Palmer, and now they are in this posistion. Unless Palmer is a bust, then Kitna is going to be wasted on the bench. Maybe Palmer will be like Culpepper was in his 2nd year, but Im leaning towards no.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk