Euro 2004 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Euro 2004

Moderator: Football Moderators

Euro 2004

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:10 pm

I dunno bout you guys, but im losing all interest, evne tho i am a HUGE Soccer fan. I like to see upsets here and there, but i always like to see two soccer powerhouses going at in the final, like Brazil and Germany in the last World Cup, France and Italy in the last Euro etc. Now that Greece is in the semis, they play the winner of Czech and Denmark, meening one of those 3 teams will make the finals. I supose with the way Czech has been playing they can be considered a powerhouse, but iuno, im just not looking forward to the finals. I hope Netherlands wins today so they can play Portugal in the semis, which in my mind will be the finals. I wish those two wouldnt have to meet until the finals, seeing as thought they are the only 2 "powerhouses" left. What do you guys think? (Intended for soccer fans)

P.S. If we are gonna post who we are rooting for, I really only like Brazil and Canada and since none of them are even in this tourney, i guess i will cheer for Sweden because my rep team wheres the exact asme jerseys as them, minus all the swedish writing. So go Sweden...
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:17 pm

Obviously there's not a major following in the US for this, but I did see that England and France both got beat. They always say France has the best team, so that is a big shock. The PTI guys said one day that supposedly two teams intentionally tied in order for some other team to lose out on goal differential. I don't think that's the case, but it's good fodder for controversy and hype.

I guess Beckham missed two PK's also. That's pretty bad. I saw one of the kicks he made, and it was pretty lame...
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:25 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Obviously there's not a major following in the US for this, but I did see that England and France both got beat. They always say France has the best team, so that is a big shock. The PTI guys said one day that supposedly two teams intentionally tied in order for some other team to lose out on goal differential. I don't think that's the case, but it's good fodder for controversy and hype.

Ya, not only did they tie, but it had to be 2-2. Denmark and Sweden did that to eliminate Italy. It was controversial becuase soccer is low scoring, and the odds of a 2-2 tie are very rare. But when a powerhouse like Italy needs anything but a 2-2 tie, it happens. :-b
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheHeat24 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:25 pm

Hey my dutch team won today im nto complaining.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby cooleyhigh » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:43 pm

It sucks England lost but that Owen goal was nasty. Does anyone know why Sol's goal was disallowed? I had the tv on mute when the highlights ran. I guess of the 4 remaining I will pull for clockwork orange. If they can't beat Portugal the US will do it again ;-D
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flockers » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:05 am

Sorry guys. But "football" won't ever be huge in th US like it is in Europe. I respect the guys for what they do, but their fans are nut-jobs. No offense Leafs...
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Shatner8 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:01 am

cooleyhigh wrote:It sucks England lost but that Owen goal was nasty. Does anyone know why Sol's goal was disallowed? I had the tv on mute when the highlights ran. I guess of the 4 remaining I will pull for clockwork orange. If they can't beat Portugal the US will do it again ;-D

Sol Cambells Goal was disallowed because of a foul on Marcos the portugese GK.

Anyway, ive been watching some of the games, and have been very surprised. Going into the tournament i had Spain winning it, i thought they had the best team on paper, and they would find some way to pull it out and not choke like they did at the past 2 World Cups. That prediction was way off, Spain was eliminated in the first round. The only team that has been real impressive thus far has been the Czech Rep., who basically came out of nowhere, much like Turkey did at last years WC. I like to pull for the underdog so i guess im pulling for Czech Rep, even though i wouldnt mind seeing the netherlands win.........Just not Portugal
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby aussieboy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:38 am

Spain always have one of the best teams on paper. However they never do anything at major tournaments.

I think the tournament has been outstanding, high scoring games, drama filled excitement.

I think Holland will win from here. The Holland Portugal match should be a cracker.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby goleafsgo96 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:32 am

Flockers wrote:Sorry guys. But "football" won't ever be huge in th US like it is in Europe. I respect the guys for what they do, but their fans are nut-jobs. No offense Leafs...

The first sentence is painfully obvious, but that doesnt mean there are NO soccer fans in the US. Im pretty sure we all knew that it wont ever be as big as it is in Europe. As for the second sentence, im not going to take any offense seeing that im no more soccer-obsessed than anyone here is football-obsessed.
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Postby goleafsgo96 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:36 am

Shatner8 wrote:Anyway, ive been watching some of the games, and have been very surprised. Going into the tournament i had Spain winning it, i thought they had the best team on paper, and they would find some way to pull it out and not choke like they did at the past 2 World Cups. That prediction was way off, Spain was eliminated in the first round. The only team that has been real impressive thus far has been the Czech Rep., who basically came out of nowhere, much like Turkey did at last years WC. I like to pull for the underdog so i guess im pulling for Czech Rep, even though i wouldnt mind seeing the netherlands win.........Just not Portugal

Thats what i was thinking, although with the way Czech is playing rite now i wouldnt really call them the underdog, if anyone thats Greece. Im pulling for a Czech-Netherlands Final, with the Czech winning.
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk