29%
No
58%
Not sure or sort of agree
14%

Total votes : 59

Portis' Downfall

Postby hands24 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:24 pm

Portis was sitting good in Denver with that zone blocking but now he is probably going to drop off in Washington. He is a great athlete and all but he doesn't fit with the Redskins style of ball.
"He who retreats lives to fight another day."
Civilization III
hands24
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bennett4prez » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:47 pm

While I'm hesitant of Portis, you can't say he doesn't fit the Redskins system. I am going to give Joe Gibbs a little more credit than that. He wouldn't trade away arguably the best corner in the game for a slump.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Portis' Downfall

Postby MCG321 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:50 pm

hands24 wrote:Portis was sitting good in Denver with that zone blocking but now he is probably going to drop off in Washington. He is a great athlete and all but he doesn't fit with the Redskins style of ball.

Their style of ball? What might that be? From what I've heard, Gibbs is more run-oriented, so I don't think that should be a problem.

Remember, Spurrier's gone! :-(

(Er...the sad face because I'm an Eagles fan)
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Portis' Downfall

Postby KingGhidra » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:54 pm

hands24 wrote:Portis was sitting good in Denver with that zone blocking but now he is probably going to drop off in Washington. He is a great athlete and all but he doesn't fit with the Redskins style of ball.

We don't even know what the "Redskins style of ball" is yet. I do know we have a capable "manage the game don't make any mistakes" type veteran QB, one of the best WR duos in the league and a top three talent at RB. If we can whip our underperforming line into shape, there's no reason why we wouldn't be a top ten offense in 2004. I just hope Gibbs doesn't use a goal-line back.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Portis

Postby broncosrule » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:39 pm

Having watched every gane in C-Po's career, I know the guy is a genuine threat to score every time he touches the ball, whether its between the tackles or catching a pass. The only question is now that he is getting paid, will he bring it every time?
The Super bowl goes through Denver
broncosrule
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby footballboy » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:43 pm

My two cents . . .

Gibbs is a "run first" coach. His style in the early ninties was the BIG back offense. My guess is he realizes that the game has changed and the SPEED back is key these days. He has always been an inovative coach and appears to be changing with the times and style of the current NFL. With this in mind, Portis should be the lightening bolt version of Riggins, carrying 20-30 times a game and being the main sorce of scoring for the skins. Draft Portis with confidence in the offensive scheme. His durability is another issue but he is a year older (23) and hopfully stronger and playing on grass will protect him more than on turf. He is a top 5-8 back and if he's there at these spots or later in your draft . . .GET HIM!
Ravens Rule!
footballboy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:56 pm

OK, I dont agree and I accidently voted yes so subtract one form yes and add one to no :-]

I think if the Redskins o-line can regroup and stay healthy they can ride this offense, much like the stteler o-line. Portis is a great back and the #s he put up, no matter where he is, are remarkable. Hes young so he can still adjust to Gibbs' offense. I think he will still succeed in washington.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:57 pm

Portis will be as good or better in Washington.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Ousmagic » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:05 pm

footballboy wrote:My two cents . . .

Gibbs is a "run first" coach. His style in the early ninties was the BIG back offense. My guess is he realizes that the game has changed and the SPEED back is key these days. He has always been an inovative coach and appears to be changing with the times and style of the current NFL. With this in mind, Portis should be the lightening bolt version of Riggins, carrying 20-30 times a game and being the main sorce of scoring for the skins. Draft Portis with confidence in the offensive scheme. His durability is another issue but he is a year older (23) and hopfully stronger and playing on grass will protect him more than on turf. He is a top 5-8 back and if he's there at these spots or later in your draft . . .GET HIM!

the question is do u get him at #3 over ahman and deuce? obviously if he drops to 5 or further he'd be a great pick
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:24 pm

I had Portis at #3 in Denver and he hasn't budged with his move to Washington. Why? I have faith in Gibbs. He isn't going to force Portis to run like Riggins, he's a flexible coach who will develop a gameplan for the personnel that he has. Gibbs was the smartest money $nyder has spent.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk