Yes
29%
No
58%
Not sure or sort of agree
14%

Total votes : 59

Postby terpfan » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:54 pm

VHawk15 wrote:NFL.com has him at 205, I don't know where 185 came from.

he made it up ;-)

im tellin everyone dont worry about the O-line... buges knows what he's doing.

one more thing, the eagles defense wasnt very good at stopping the run last year. they were 22nd in the league in run defense. the giants wont scare anyone either. so other than the cowboys defense, the division isnt a whole lot harder. i also think the stats against the defenses of the afc west are skewed by the great runningbacks in the division (holmes, LT, portis).
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:11 pm

terpfan wrote:

he made it up ;-)

one more thing, the eagles defense wasnt very good at stopping the run last year. they were 22nd in the league in run defense. the giants wont scare anyone either. so other than the cowboys defense, the division isnt a whole lot harder. i also think the stats against the defenses of the afc west are skewed by the great runningbacks in the division (holmes, LT, portis).

He came into the league at 185. Played his entire rookie year that size. He bulked up over the off-season.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:18 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
terpfan wrote:

he made it up ;-)

He came into the league at 185. Played his entire rookie year that size. He bulked up over the off-season.

ok, good catch. either way, he's 205 now. did he play last year at 185? that seems awfully light...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Portis is overated

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:22 pm

bagobonez wrote:Think about it, when was the last time a running back didn't have good numbers in Denver? Even Olandis Gary cracked 1,000 yards behind that line, but then he went to Detroit and he can't even crack his way into the starting lineup.

I think it's funny everytime people mention Olandis Gary doing poorly in Detroit never mention he suffered a broken leg and a torn ACL in successive seasons. I suppose that would have NOTHING to do with him not being able to re-attain the success he had in Denver. I disproved the Denver o-line theory some months ago, but I'm too lazy to dig up the thread.

:-°
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:26 pm

Does anyone have a link saying that he played his rookie year at 185? I've found a couple sites profiling him as a rookie prospect that have him listed at 204...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/portis_clinton.htm

http://www.football-gaming.com/data/02draft/389.shtml
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby hands24 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:53 pm

When i originaly started this post i ment that denver does the zone blocking with clinton portis. intstead of it being you block the guy in front of you its the front line handles the first level (D-line) then some slip off to the linebackers (2nd level) and if there arent n e there they go to the 3rd level (D-backs). This way you dont have to be bigger or better than the guy in front of you. This you more get out and run with them then clinton presses the line of scrimage and bang he cuts back. the only thing that kills this is if the defense gets penetration. Now Gibbs could change and use that system with portis but ill bet he goes with a bruiser at RB and hes not as succesful. and if what you say is true that they got an old school line coach then i doubt he goes with the zone blocking. and on a side note just because you get a coach that is so great at coaching line doesnt mean the line is gonna be great. they have to have talent work hard and work together. ill stand by the fact that clinton portis was running behing at least the 2nd best o-line in the AFC next to like KC. Why do i say that: look at all their succesful backs: Terrel Davis, Orlandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clintoon Portis, and ?. They fine someone this year like they do every year or they wouldnt have traded him.
"He who retreats lives to fight another day."
Civilization III
hands24
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby TheHeat24 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:18 pm

Man the redskins line is good people dont realize it... talent wise they are far superior to the broncos... Chris Samuels, Jon jansen and Randy Thomas are all prow bowl caliber.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:50 pm

I would hardly say "disproved" KG...

As many well know though, I am a believer in the Broncos system inflating RB's stats over their natural ability.

That being said, I don't think Portis will miss a beat in Washington. When you put guys like Gary/Anderson behind the Denver O-line, they put up good numbers. Portis/Terrell Davis are great RB's with or without the system. I think both of the two would do well anywhere.

Further, Portis is headed to what seems to be another running back friendly system.

I don't think he'll miss a beat in Washington. However, just because there's the risk out there, I'd drop him one spot to #4, no way I'd take him any lower than that, and I would consider taking him higher.

I could EASILY see him finishing this season as the #2 fantasy player behind only Priest.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Ousmagic » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:10 pm

the real question here is do u take portis or ahman if u get the 3 spot?? toughest decision of the draft imo right now im leaning towards portis but i've changed my mind a couple times now
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Pete123444 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:56 pm

portis or ahman? portis for me
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext