Quentin Griffin - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Quentin Griffin

Moderator: Football Moderators

Quentin Griffin

Postby mmar10s » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:52 pm

Does anybody know if Quentin Griffin is the starter in Denver or is it Garrison Hearst? Because I have him on my fantasy team.
[IMG]http://img154.exs.cx/img154/6703/claytonsig4some13310nf.jpg[/IMG
mmar10s
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:56 pm

He is the official starter as of this moment (heading into camp). Bell and Hearst both could get a substantial amount of play, though, and Bell could take the starting job outright.

EDIT: I'll add the article from Fanball I'm basing that off of:

THE NEWS:
ESPN's John Clayton is reporting that second-year back Quentin Griffin is the frontrunner to replace Pro Bowl running back Clinton Portis as the Broncos' feature back. Griffin ran with the first team at the team's recent minicamp, and his 28-carry, 136-yard effort at Indianapolis in week 16 is reportedly etched in coach Mike Shanahan's memory. The Broncos also signed veteran Garrison Hearst in free agency this offseason and selected Oklahoma State star Tatum Bell in the second round of the draft.

OUR VIEW
Griffin has elite speed, but the knock on him is his size. At 5-7, 195 pounds, he is a good four inches shorter than Portis, although only 10 pounds lighter. The minimal weight differential bodes well for his ability to take the pounding that a feature back endures, but it's still a bit on the light side. We're also not overly impressed with the fact that Griffin ran with the first team; Hearst (5-11, 215 pounds) is learning a brand new system and Shanahan wouldn't insert Bell (5-11, 212 pounds) into the starting unit at his first-ever minicamp. We'll upgrade Griffin on our cheat sheet since he is seemingly the frontrunner, but we're still ringing the Bell as our favorite to win the job long-term. Remember, both Portis and Mike Anderson rushed for 1,500 yards in their rookie seasons under Shanahan.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Homeless » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:45 pm

I think Griffin will get his chance, but I also think Hearst is too good to be just a back up.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby RWLongy4 » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:53 pm

Yeah I think Griffin will be the guy early then hearst will take over for awhile then depending on how well he does bell near the end.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby nola_saint » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:00 pm

Homeless wrote:I think Griffin will get his chance, but I also think Hearst is too good to be just a back up.

Really? Too Good? He's 34, had a history of injuries, must learn a new system and has had only one really good season. I think he is there to do what veteran RBs do best, teach the young kids and hold on to the ball late in the game.
nola_saint
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Azrael » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:33 pm

I thought Bell would eventually win the job but I'm probably not touching that situation. Griffin is small and Hearst is old so Bell might be a good late round pick up.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby terpfan » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:06 am

I think it will be Griffin as the "feature back" at first with Hearst relieving him of a significant amount of carries. I also think that Bell will replace Griffin fairly early in the season with Hearst in the same back up type role and Griffin used sparingly.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:52 am

i think it will be Q's to lose. and i don't think he will lose it.hearst was brought in as insurance and as a mentor. Bell won't see much action this year.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cupertino_11 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:11 am

Pete123444 wrote:i think it will be Q's to lose. and i don't think he will lose it.hearst was brought in as insurance and as a mentor. Bell won't see much action this year.

Although I'd love to see Bell with his 215lbs and 4.3 speed get all the carries, I'm inclined to agree with Pete. Quentin will receive the bulk of the carries this year with Hearst to spell him for 5-10 carries.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:43 pm

Hearst has proven me wrong too many times for me to count him out for the starting job. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hearst won the job over Quentin Griffin.

...although if I had to bet, I would go with Griffin.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Football Talk