Tom Brady fantasy vs. real - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tom Brady fantasy vs. real

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tom Brady fantasy vs. real

Postby nsulham » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:48 am

Just through looking at rankings and whatnot over the last couple months, is Brady the most "name" player who's fantasy status is nowhere near his "real" status?

I mean the guy's a 2-time SB MVP, led his team to the SB 2 times in the last 3 years and one of the top QB's in the league.

It's just strange that his fantasy status, is almost pedestrian. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he deserves to be the #1 ranked fantasy QB or anything at all.

I'm just saying I can't think of anyone who is as big a star and gets as much pub in the real game but who is at best a serviceable fantasy guy.

Anyone else like this because Brady's the only one off the top of my head (helps that I'm a Pats fan too ;-) )
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby goleafsgo96 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:23 am

Brady doesnt get a ton of yards or tds, he just doesnt make mistakes. I dont feel like researching so im gonna provide you with an example. Peyton threw for 29? TDs, with 10? INTs. I have no idea of Bradys #, but i bet its something like 20 TDs with 8Ints. So his real life value is very similiar to Peytons, but his Fantasy value isnt even close.

Other guys like this: Mcnair, an average Fantasy starter, one of the best in real life.

Delhomme: Ever see him starting on a fantasy team? Took his real team to the superbowl.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CKY_ROX » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:28 am

this is really only evedent at QB becasue it is not neccesary to have the best arm, its more of a mental position than the others. if the QB dont make manmy mistakes then he is good for a team but not a FF team. these QBs usually have a good running game and/or defence that can take some of the load off

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:37 am

I think he is slightly underrated as a fantasy QB however he doesnt throw for elite yds, and obviously doesnt run. His INTs arent as bad as many others, but his fumbling could be a concern.

This yr, with a good RB, I think he could have a breakout fantasy yr and could be a bargain depending on where he is drafted.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:26 pm

He wouldn't be considered such a great QB if he didn't have the NE defence to keep them in all of those games.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:51 pm

Hes a fine backup, but I wouldn't really trust him as my starter. That may get ugly. last year he had 23 TDs and 12 INT, which is a good ratio. He wont put Peyton numbers up, but not many do.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Adlaw » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:02 pm

I admit I am biased but I hate him! :-t
Adlaw
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby moochman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:47 pm

I wonder if the addition of Dillon will take numbers away from Brady. He didn't have much of a running game last season and had to be the focal point of their offense. If Billick is successful in re-establishing the run, Brady will not get as many yards or TDs, IMO.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby 34=Sweetness » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:32 pm

Thats true. Brady did lots of short dump off passes because they had no running game. They used those passes like a running game. Dillon will take away some of that yardage, but he will also catch passes out of the backfield.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Get off Brady!

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:35 pm

Why does everyone insist that Brady is only an average fantasy QB? 3,600 yards is hardly something to sneeze at. That's more passing yards than Culpepper or Favre put up last year.

His 23 passing TD's weren't phenomenal, but they won't hurt you. That's only one less TD than McNair, Aaron Brooks, and Trent Green put up. Only two less than Culpepper. It was more than Donovan McNabb and Marc Bulger put up.

Yet all the other guys I mentioned are supposed to be "elite" fantasy QB's but Brady isn't?

Two years ago Brady put up 28 TD's, which was tops in the league. Who says he can't do it again?

Now granted, Brady isn't much of a scrambler, but neither is Peyton manning, Trent Green, Brett Favre, etc.

Will Dillon's arrival hurt Brady's numbers? Absolutely not. Charlie Weis is still the offensive coordinator in New England, and they will still be a pass-heavy team. If anything, it will help Brady's numbers because it will take some pressure off him, and they will probably be making more trips to the red-zone.

I just don't get why everyone's so sour on Brady! Stats are stats!
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk