Julius Jones - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Julius Jones

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:27 pm

I think Parcells is a pretty good judge of talent - certainly at least as good as anyone on this board! If he sees something he likes in this guy then I think he's worthy of drafting, certainly at least as a #3 RB and maybe even as high as a #2.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Franchise Fan » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:41 pm

It is good to see the response on a topic started by me, I think its good for the cafe with so many great minds, and this post has showed not only what great writers this cafe has, but also the many different perspectives in one post.

In my opinion,(funny that i have one considering I asked the question as the post) but I believe that Julius Will be veryh good number 3, and that he may be good trade bait as one of you said. Jones could emerge to be great, and so could Kevin Jones, as Gambini said, but i think given the setting Julius is in better position. Also, Parcells passed up on Jackson and Kevin Jones, because the value of the bills first round pick next year, in his mind, and probably will turn out to be more valuable than Julius. This is why Parcells traded down. I think Julius will have plenty of TDs enough to cover as a number 3 RB. Cowboys, 32nd rank in difficulty of schedule? nice stat to know as a cowboys fan. Oh and by the way, if quincy carter can throw for over 3000 yards, Julius Jones can run for over 1,300
Franchise Fan
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

CafeholicGraphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NFLknowitall » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:45 pm

If Parcells trust him then I trust him. I think Bill might know a little more about football than me... a little.

The reason JJ is ranked higher than KJ is b/c of a guy named Pinner in Detriot. That is all. Harrington and Quincy are not scaring anyone yet. This will be a fun year and a great rookie draft class that will contribute early.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby WhiteChocolate » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:26 am

I agree with the fact that Bill Parcells knows football and picked him for a reason.. the first thing that comes to mind is Curtis Martin.. but at the same time, I'd say most of the coaches (probably all) in the NFL know more about football then I do, and probably many people here, and they still pick players who bust. So just because these guys are pros, and know football better then us, doesn't make them invincible.

WHO LET THEM HOKIES OUT?
WhiteChocolate
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Philly Phantom » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:56 am

nsulham wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I also dont buy into the theory that Parcells is the man and we shouldnt question his decision. He has no track record of drafting quality RBs, so why should we think he is good at it now?

Just for the record, he did draft Rodney Hampton and Curtis Martin, two pretty good backs.

He also drafted another smallish running back, Joe Morris out of Michigan.
21 TD's in '85
Won a Super Bowl in '86.
5,296 total yards in 4 1/2 years.

I personally think the better pick may have been Greg Jones from FSU, for the way that Parcells really likes to pound the ball. He's a beast. He looks like O.J. Andreson with speed. Knee injury may have scared them off. They already have a few backs and FB's that can catch out of the backfield, so JJ may be a 2 down back early. His size (5'9"?) is an issue for me, although his arms are almost as huge as his brothers. He's gonna get 1,100 and 6 barring injury though with about 3.9 to 4.2 avg. I don't know if Parcell's as much as Maurice Carthon will have anything to do with Jones' success or failure. Parcell's forte is really making QB's and Defenses better.
Last edited by Philly Phantom on Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may be a Bengals fan (since '81), but I know my Football.
Philly Phantom Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:04 am

Philly - welcome to the cafe ;-D

Nice info dude. I appreciate the backup.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Julius Jones

Postby PhinsFan » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:12 am

Franchise Fan wrote:Hey,
Im just looking around for input on this guy. My 'boys rookie pick, and starting running back. Is this guy a guy you draft late, as in late late, or a guy you pick up after you see how he does? With eric bickerstaff out for the season, Jones looks to get the GL carries. And another thing, How do you guys ranks Julius Jones as compared to Troy Hambrick, above or below hime.

Thanks,
Matt
Live in a cave?
[i]We are perfect when we lie[/i] - [b]"One Night In Spain" - Human Waste Project[/b]
PhinsFan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:40 pm

So do you all like him more than his namesake Thomas Jones?
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Philly Phantom » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:22 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Philly - welcome to the cafe ;-D

Nice info dude. I appreciate the backup.

Thanx. Glad I signed up, their are a lot of knowledgeable cats in here.
I may be a Bengals fan (since '81), but I know my Football.
Philly Phantom Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 pm

Philly Phantom wrote:
Thanx. Glad I signed up, their are a lot of knowledgeable cats in here.

Uh-oh... Guttpuppy is gonna be PISSED!

That was some excellent information you posted. I love little factoids like that out of the blue that no one else was considering. It just further confirms the fact that Parcells has the tendency to know what he is doing. Either himself directly or knowing the right people to talk to when it comes to scouting reports.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk