Portis vs. Alexander - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis vs. Alexander

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:10 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:OK, you sunk to saying Alexander has a better backup as a point as to why you should draft him.

What's wrong with that? I find those situations beneficial. Look at Marshall Faulk, if he goes down and you've got Steven Jackson, you've still got a good running back, but you can get away with drafting them MUCH lower.

In Week 16 last year when Portis was on the sideline, Quentin Griffin stepped in and posted 136 rushing yards, 24 receiving yards and a TD. If you were smart enough to draft Portis AND Griffin, you didn't miss a beat that week. (More proof that ANY running back can excel in Denver).

Alot of people think Maurice Morris might be the best backup RB in the league (Now that Hearst is out of SF) and if Alexander goes down I doubt Morris' stats would be much worse if at all worse. Yet I can get away with drafting Morris in the last round of the draft, instead of taking a backup RB from a different team much earlier.

If Portis goes down, the Redskins' running game is pretty much S.O.L.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

portis/alexander

Postby broncomike » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:15 pm

let me just say this, if I was faced with drafting Alexander or Portis, I would probably draft neither. There is probably a low-risk, high rewarding WR left at the spot where the choice of Alexander/Portis comes in. I would go with the low-risk, high-rewarding WR if you want to build a fantasy team that has consistency.
broncomike
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: portis/alexander

Postby CC » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:16 pm

broncomike wrote:let me just say this, if I was faced with drafting Alexander or Portis, I would probably draft neither. There is probably a low-risk, high rewarding WR left at the spot where the choice of Alexander/Portis comes in. I would go with the low-risk, high-rewarding WR if you want to build a fantasy team that has consistency.

What WR would you take at the 4th pick? That's at least 5 picks too high for Moss and he's the only WR worthy of 1st round consideration.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:19 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:In 2002, the Seahawks were going to give Maurice Morris some starts due to Alexander's ineffectiveness, I don't see them shelling out a lot of money to Alexander, when they can use Mo Morris or Kerry Carter and get the job done almost as well, if not as well, as they got it done with Alexander.

Which is another reason to draft Shaun. You can draft Maurice Morris in the last round and still have top notch numbers if Shaun was to get injured.

What if Portis gets injured? You're looking at Ladell Betts. Whoopee!

Umm, correct me if Im wrong, but couldnt someone draft Portis and Maurice Morris?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Another thing...

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:22 pm

Another thing...

If Alexander's 2002 season was so god awfully terrible, then I guess his 2001 and 2003 seasons were equally as terrible.

2001 - 1,661 total yards 16 TD's
2002 - 1,635 total yards 18 TD's
2003 - 1,730 total yards 16 TD's

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Alexander scored 5 of his 18 TD's in only one game in 2002.

Let's look at Portis' game logs from last year.

1 - 159 yards 2 TD's
2 - 129 yards 0 TD's
3 - 42 yards - 0 TD's
4 - DNP
5 - 220 yards 1 TD
6 - 73 yards 0 TD's
7 - 160 yards 1 TD
8 - 115 yards 0 TDs
9 - 131 yards 1 TD
10 - Bye week
11 - 112 yards 0 TD's
12 - 188 yards 0 TD's
13 - 177 yards 2 TD's
14 - 254 yards 5 TD's
15 - 145 yards 2 TD's
16 - DNP
17 - DNP
Totals: 1,905 total yards and 14 total TD's

Now, to everyone who says that Alexander's 2002 season was basically a bust if it had not been for his 5 TD game against the Vikings, let's look at Portis' stats if you take away Week 14 of last year. 1651 total yards and 9 TD's. NINE TOUCHDOWNS! Tell me 1,600 total yards and 9 TD's is worth the #4 overall pick.

Hardly elite. Hell, even Stephen Davis nearly matched that total last year and he also missed some games.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby broncomike » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:24 pm

My top 10 (for my league):
1.Priest Holmes (low risk)
2.LaDanian Tomlinson (low risk)
3.Peyton Manning (low risk)
4.Mike Vick (high risk)
5.Marvin Harrison (low risk)
6.Ahman Green (low risk)
7.Randy Moss (low risk)
8.Jamal Lewis (moderate risk)
9.Daunte Culpepper (moderate risk)
10.Clinton Portis (moderate risk)

alexander isn't on my top 10, barely makes my top 15...so at 4? many many choices.
broncomike
Water Boy
Water Boy

What?

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:29 pm

I don't think there are too many people in here that would draft Marvin Harrison before Ahman Green or Clinton Portis.

For that matter I don't think any QB's, including Manning and VIck would be drafted over a stud RB.

I also think Priest Holmes and Marvin Harrison have to at least be considered moderate risk instead of low risk.

Holmes is 31 and Harrison is 32. Age doesn't usually hit WR's as hard as it does RB's, but I think any RB over the age of 30 has to be considered a moderate risk.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

l

Postby broncomike » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:33 pm

you have to keep in mind alos, everybody plays in a league where the scoring is usually different. WR score on an even basis with RB's in my league. Consistency is actually found better in guys like Harrison and Moss just as much as Holmes and Tomlinson. I only rank Vick so high because I feel he will be a stud this year and take the Falcons to the super bowl. so, point is, I feel any player could make an alternative pick at 4 other than Alexander and Portis that will produce just as many points week in and week out fantasy-wise.
broncomike
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:36 pm

broncomike - you seriously have to consider position scarcity rather than scoring equality. Scoring equality changes rankings very little - and it sure doesnt put QBs in the 1st rd.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

scarcity

Postby broncomike » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:44 pm

QB's score the most in my league. I agree with you in the sense that QB's shouldn't be in the first round, but the fact is, in my league they score points. Of the 10 picks in the first round last year (of my league), 5 QB, 1WR, 4 RB was the break-down. In order, it went:

1.Ricky Williams
2.Clinton Portis
3.Peyton Manning
4.Donovan McNabb
5.Marvin Harrison
6.Marshall Faulk
7.Steve McNair
8.Daunte Culpepper
9.Rich Gannon
10.LaDanian Tomlinson

not even the Priest went in the first round! Although, that came from many believing that Holmes career might be in jepordary from the previous year when he went down with a hip injury. QB's were still a strong draw for many. I don't expect it to be any different this year, it's just that Manning and Vick are the only two QB's in my mind who are worthy of a first round pick if I was forced to take a QB in the first round (I always draft RB).
broncomike
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk