Thomas Jones v. ATrain - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas Jones v. ATrain

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thomas Jones v. ATrain

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:41 pm

I checked the search feature and didnt find very much on whats going on in CHI right now between these two. I do think this could be very fantasy relavant as CHI has some interesting things happening there that might be flying under our fantasy radar. If one of them becomes the feature back, he could be an excellent mid to late rd value pick.

From what I have read, the signing of TJones to a 4 yr deal basicly spells the end for Atrain. Here is fanballs take:

Fanball wrote:Bears' minicamp began on Friday, and with it came the inevitable questions about the running back situation. Thomas Jones was signed to a four-year contract earlier this month and incumbent starter Anthony Thomas doesn't know what to think. ''I really don't know what they've got planned for me," Thomas told the Chicago Sun-Times. "I don't know what the plan is. I don't know if they're seeking a trade. I don't know if I'm going to be here. I don't know what's going on. I'm just here day-by-day." Train admitted the situation doesn't make him happy. "Obviously, it's frustrating for anybody to come in. I've been here for three years. I've been playing, and they bring another guy in without sort of [telling] me what's going on. I just have to take it as it is."

OUR VIEW

Hey Train, see that wall over there? Yeah, that one…okay now look for the writing on the wall. It says: "Jones will be the starter and Thomas will either be traded or relegated to part-time/backup duty." Head coach Lovie Smith would be wise to get it all out on the table with Thomas before the running back goes into sulk mode and it becomes a distraction.

If Grossman can open up the offense a bit (Terrell seems to be picking up his game), and Lovey's offensive scheme is succesful, what we are looking at is possibly a top 20 RB that can be had after the 7th rd of most 12 team drafts. TJones is a very skilled RB who really hasent had the best opportunities in the NFL yet. Could this be his yr? OBTW - the Bears offensive line is much improved with Tait - another plus for whoever is running the ball.

Thoughts?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:50 pm

Heres some more information

-- Bears RB Update --
Mon Jun 28, 2004 --

Mike Mulligan reports for the Sporting News that the Chicago Bears RB Anthony Thomas intends to fight to remain the team's starting running back even though free-agent pickup RB Thomas Jones (Buccaneers) appears to be the favorite to win that job. Jones has the speed, hands and cutback ability needed for the team's new offense. But Thomas looks leaner and faster in workouts and has a big advantage over Jones in ball security. RB Brock Forsey has the edge over RB Adrian Peterson for the third spot. At fullback, FB Bryan Johnson, the team's new starter, can provide blocking and receiving support. Meanwhile, FB Rabih Abdullah and FB Jason McKie are battling for the backup job, that is, if the Bears keep two fullbacks.

Their O-line is much improved w/ both Tait and Ruben Brown. I also have read that Aaron Gibson finally is living up to some of his potential and may find a spot on the starting line.

At this point, I think TJ is going to be the man. He was brought in for a reason and Lovie wants to be able to use his RB on screens, something that the A-Train is not very good at. TJ simply fits better into the offensive scheme that Chicago is trying to use.

But, A-Train isnt just going to concede. I think the job will be TJ's this year. He hasnt had a very good history of beating people out for the job. Couldnt beat out Pittman in Ari, couldnt do it in TB (until the end of the year) and lost his job to Shipp (after breaking his hand answering a phone...).

TJ has definitely been a disappointement in the league, but I think he will have a pretty decent year. I think A-Train is still a talent, but my money is still on TJ to be the guy
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:59 pm

TJ is the club favorite......but I wouldn't count A-Train out yet.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby moochman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:36 pm

They didn't sign Jones to have him watch. I would think that he will have the first third-to-half of the season to lose the job. Which he might, given that he has never taken advantage of his chances yet. He is definitely worth a look in the second half of any draft.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby deftdelivery » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:42 pm

I might take a flyer on him late in the draft...looks enticing.
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

APC

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:41 pm

He averaged 4.6 yards a carry last year behind a pretty weak Tampa Bay offensive line. I'd say Chicago's offensive line is as good or better than Tampa's.

Unfortunately Chicago doesn't have the passing game that Tampa has yet, but I think Thomas might be a good sleeper RB that you could make your 3rd or 4th guy. Use him as trade bait or keep him as insurance if one of your starters goes down.
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:13 pm

I definetly wouldn't mind TJ as a 3rd or 4th back, he should be pretty good this year, and I expect him to get about 80%-85% of the carries.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JrcWy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:05 pm

I still see this as a possible year long RBBC which can be summed up as a two-headed runningback called Anthony Thomas Jones, you can call it the 'A-Train-Wreck' for short. Unless you can get either very late in the draft, I wouldn't bother picking either up.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:09 pm

JrcWY wrote:I still see this as a possible year long RBBC which can be summed up as a two-headed runningback called Anthony Thomas Jones, you can call it the 'A-Train-Wreck' for short. Unless you can get either very late in the draft, I wouldn't bother picking either up.

I agree. I'll take his little brother any day over him.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Canacuna » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:39 pm

Azrael wrote:
JrcWY wrote:I still see this as a possible year long RBBC which can be summed up as a two-headed runningback called Anthony Thomas Jones, you can call it the 'A-Train-Wreck' for short. Unless you can get either very late in the draft, I wouldn't bother picking either up.

I agree. I'll take his little brother any day over him.

The Canacuna concurs.

Thomas Jones has a few good things going for him. He signed a nice deal for never doing anything in the NFL and has the coach's word that he's the starting RB before the season starts. Another plus - the season hasn't started yet, so he's still the starting RB. Once he hits the field though, I'm expecting him to disappoint - as he's done before.

I have a tough time getting my hopes up for someone who hasn't proven ANYTHING in this league since being drafted. Unless I have two stud starting RBs, I don't want Thomas Jones as anything more than my #4. He certainly has potential, but I don't think this situation is any different than that in Arizona - like Michael Pittman and Marcell Shipp before, Anthony Thomas will take the job - at the very least steal enough carries to make Thomes Jones have little value.

Even if he does well - he still plays for Chicago, y'know. Even with the new offensive plan installed, that doesn't transform Marty Booker into Torry Holt and Justin Gage into Isaac Bruce. Rex Grossman isn't Kurt Warner or Marc Bulger. Nor is Thomas Jones the next Marshall Faulk. It will take some work before Lovie Smith's offensive plan is successful - it won't be this year. Aside from a bye-week filler, you can't really expect much out of him in the first place, methinks.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Football Talk